Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 4401-4425 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:47:01 PM PDT
I feel the same way about reading. I even read cereal boxes if there's nothing else to read (a practice I think just about every dedicated reader engages in).

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:47:38 PM PDT
Didn't even have sense enough to change the name he reviews under.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:49:41 PM PDT
Interesting how everything seems to revolve around T.R. MacKie.

I posted to KAYLA that she could take her review down or contact Ammy if she is attacked. But then she said she wasn't going to take down her review and she shouldn't have to put up with the meanies. I don't know exactly what she wants anyone to say.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:51:14 PM PDT
Did you scroll down and see our very own Russell has swapped reviews with Tommy?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 10:54:11 PM PDT
>>the newbie author that everybody loves to hate because I am clumsy, willful and principled.<<

This kind of language is incendiary and ridiculous.

Nobody wants to keep authors out of the non-MOA forums. The only thing authors are not allowed to do is talk about their books. That's it. I have many author friends that post without talking about their books.

We are all aware of the Announcement from Amazon about not self promoting. But you'd be amazed at how many authors still argue.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:02:22 PM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
That's just so wrong

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:11:48 PM PDT
And they act like it's perfectly fine. How do people have such a twisted sense of morals?

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 11:31:45 PM PDT
I blame the original baby boomers.

Posted on May 17, 2012 11:32:05 PM PDT
And hippies. And Disco. Gotta blame the disco.

Posted on May 18, 2012 1:11:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 1:20:40 AM PDT
Winter says:
http://www.amazon.com/review/R3RYM606V9HNDS/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007Y8C3JM&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=#wasThisHelpful

*le sigh*

Initial post: May 17, 2012 2:01:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author 36 minutes ago
T.R. MacKie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Hide post again. (Show all unhelpful posts)]
Amazon and I both have a full report of all the books loaned in the lending library. This Mary Patch review is obviously a false one, since there have been more people claiming to have obtained a book through the lending library than books that were actually loaned through the lending library. The two books loaned have been accounted for and were NOT loaned to this reviewer. Click on Mary Patch to find the reviewer has never made any reviews except this one as a pseudo customer.
Reply to this post
Permalink | Report abuse | Ignore this customer
0 of 9 people think this post adds to the discussion. Do you?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 3:32:10 AM PDT
Grimlock says:
I've been around. Mostly in the OMG or rant threads. Am busy prepping for two art Showa so not around as much as I used to be, though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 4:46:18 AM PDT
Hey now! I resemble that remark!

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:05:06 AM PDT
Deanna, one quibble to the article, it's not just "good etiquette" to disclose getting a book from someplace like netgalley or book rooster in exchange for a review, it's actually a requirement according to Amazon's review guidelines, under "Full Disclosure."

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:06:53 AM PDT
Jason Kirkfield says:
"What snark? This is essential knowledge, Debra.

You seem to be deluding yourself that getting a 5-star review from Midwest Book Review is something special. I'm just telling you that FIFTY-NINE THOUSAND EIGHT HUNDRED AND FIFTY-FIVE *other* authors think so, too. "

*Note to self* do not drink espresso while reading this thread, wiping up computer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:10:02 AM PDT
I believe it is also now an FTC requirement, but that is relatively recent...

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 5:33:47 AM PDT
Curmudgeon,
Wisdom? Here's a quote from a quotable guy, Frank Zappa: "Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best..."
(said as we head out to play at another festival...this one in Ormond Beach, Florida. Music is the best...)
Oh, and here's another from Zappa that really applies on this forum: "You know, people are basically ******. It's when they prove it over and over again that it gets obnoxious."

Posted on May 18, 2012 6:00:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 5:10:12 PM PDT
Wow... to think that just a year or so ago I was naive enough to think that 'real authors' would never behave in such a terrible manner.

Then I heard a radio talk show mention a multi-book established romance author had plagiarized someone's research paper on Black-Footed Ferrets into one of her novels (Cassie Edwards) - I was stunned. Stunned does not begin to describe... so I looked online and found alllllll sorts of things about that mess.

But wait, there were more messes... also involving plagiarism and remarkably poor and insincere denials, whining (but nobody should have noticed! why are you all being so mean about this?) and alarmingly immature reactions. Stunned and unhappy with the world, I asked my children (then 14 and 10) if either of them considered it okay to use part of someone else's writing as your work without admitting it, and both gave me the 'are you crazy look' and said that was Not Okay.

And now pages and pages of this... which can be summed up as 'Author says: they didn't gush and luuuuv my book! Whaaaaaa! You meanie!' followed by 'reviewer: ?!? You had a few issues in the writing.' then 'Author: you mean bully! Help, he/she is threatening me! You all hate me! Nobody likes me! I'm gonna tell on all of you meanies! Whaaaaa.....'

I am stunned, and really want to tell some of those people to Grow Up. Aren't they supposed to be adults before posting anyhow?

minor edit for capitalization and a couple omitted words.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 6:39:54 AM PDT
"Ah but not everyone is a perfect reviewer first time out of the gate. I know I'm better at it now than I was when I first started. I didn't know what the fluck I was doing, so if I did a review like that today, I suppose my review would be suspect? Interesting."

It might be suspect. Once you start adding more reviews though, and they get better making it obvious you read the books, you can ditch that perception.

Usually the only time I start really investigating reviewers though is when a lot of the reviews on one book look suspicious. Pretty much all books have vague, not very helpful reviews on them that are perfectly legit. So in general I just pass those reviews over, rather than worrying about if the reviewer is up to something or not.

Posted on May 18, 2012 7:13:05 AM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
Trolling through reviews, I found this one: "I won't post my review here at amazon. When you post a "bad" review here, it can get messy..." http://www.amazon.com/review/R3TRONVAJSVT75/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005HRSYQ8&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
Sad when people are afraid to be honest. Doesn't say much for the reviews we do see.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:36:53 AM PDT
ginmar says:
I think it's actually law now, as well. Bloggers have to disclose if they get anything for free for review or testing or stuff like that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:39:33 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 18, 2012 8:13:21 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:47:10 AM PDT
Grandma says:
Yes, it has been a law for some time. And only fair I think.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:01:46 AM PDT
Splinker says:
A law in which country?

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:24:56 AM PDT
The United States - it's one of the regs that was promulgated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:35:04 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Thanks. I looked it up.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  338
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions