Customer Discussions > Romance forum

*** Coffee Shop - Let's Chat About Life And Our Books, Both Current And Planning To Read, All In The Name Of Living HEA ***

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 5926-5950 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 11, 2012 9:18:22 AM PDT
I finished Everybody Sees the Ants, and it was really good. I highly recommend it for adults and teens.

A 15 year old boy who is being bullied dreams nightly of rescuing his grandfather who was MIA in Vietnam. The ants (which may appear wearing what he calls gook hats, or wearing tiny sunglasses - they dress for the occasion) offer commentary on his life (think of them as the interior critic that we all have). His mother becomes fed up with his father's refusal to take action to confront the bully's father, and takes her son to stay with her brother for a couple of weeks. While there, the boy makes a new friend, a beautiful girl whose hair stars in shampoo commercials, who is putting on a play along with four of her other female friends. The play is titled "Vagina", and the boy attends rehearsals, feeling the normal things a boy who can't say the word would feel. The book is rich and is a story of a boy becoming strong in himself. Very satisfying.

Posted on May 11, 2012 9:24:14 AM PDT
I am currently reading Beat the Reaper by Josh Bazell, which is hard to put down. Dr. Peter Brown can give Jack Reacher a run for his money for craziness and general lethalness. (The Reacher novels are about an ex-military policeman who travels the country carrying only a bank card and a folding toothpaste. He does not own a car, and frequently hitchhikes. He can occasionally be seen exiting a town that is on fire.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:09:45 PM PDT
Hi, DoraLady! I know what you mean about pretty much lying flat with your foot elevated to reduce swelling, except I only had to do it for a couple of days. I hope your leg gets better very quickly.

If you have an mp3 player, and someone to download the books for you, books on tape (usually free from the library) might help your days go quicker. It is also hard to read lying down. :( I just listened to Book of a Thousand Days by Shannon Hale, and oh, I did enjoy that. I had not listened to one for a long time.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :)

Posted on May 12, 2012 6:44:53 PM PDT
Now, I feel funny about posting four posts in a row in this discussion, but I thought someone who follows this discussion might like to know this. Heather Killough-Walden (author of The Vampire King and four werewolf books) has announced in her blog that The Phantom King (second in the Kings series) will be released tomorrow for Mother's Day. I hope it happens but I don't see anything on Amazon.

Posted on May 13, 2012 11:27:23 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
Happy Mother's Day to all moms.

@MelissaB,

I hope you are enjoying your first Mother's Day.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:28:11 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
PamR,

Do not feel funny posting four in a row. I know I have done that often.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:31:12 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
PamR,

Thanks for the advice, but audio does not work well for me.

I did discover laying on the floor (on a mat) with my legs on the couch is doable.

__

Now I am very mobile, my one lower leg is still much larger then the other. At least the hard, hot and swollen part is decreasing. It is no longer brused so it does not look as bad.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:31:44 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
Thanks Shelby.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:33:07 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
Bill,

I do know that you enjoy various authors.

It is that whenever I see Mary Balogh's name I think of you with a smile. *S*

Posted on May 13, 2012 11:34:01 AM PDT
DoraLady says:
Running out the door. I did finish SLIGHTLY MARRIED by MB and will post later.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 8:54:08 AM PDT
Bill Bee says:
DoraLady - Slightly Wicked is next. It is Rannulf's story and it is really good. It starts with a stage accident. After that comes Slightly Scandalous, Freyja's story, another good book (good on the MB scale, which makes it really really good compared to other romances). In Slightly Scandalous you meet Anne Jewell, the heroine of Simply Love. I enjoyed how the characters in all of these books show up in different novels. Gwendolyn, Lady Muir, is a minor character in One Night to Love and A Summer to Remember, the prequels to the Slightly series. She is the heroine of The Proposal, which was just published at the beginning of this month and which I have already read and loved.

The Proposal was so good that when the library book came after I had listened to the Audible edition of the book, I skimmed through the book rereading many parts of it. I also wanted to check the spelling of the Spanish city, Badajoz. The hero was a veteran of the Forlorn Hope company that stormed that city during the Peninsular War and I wanted to look up more of the history of that event.

Did you like the trial scene in Slightly Married when the Duke of Bewcastle interrupts? It is one of my favorite MB scenes. I sometimes pull the book out and reread just that scene.

Don't run. You might reinjure your leg. Hope it is getting better.

Are you a mother? I don't remember. If so, Happy Mother's Day and the same to all of my other friends, whether they are mothers or not.

My wife and I do not have children - we have wonderful nieces nephews and grand nieces and nephews instead. (I was just telling a man in my vanpool about opening my eyes one morning when we were babysitting my grand niece to see her face a foot away patiently watching and waiting for me to wake up.) My wife thinks she should not be excluded from Mother's Day simply because of the minor technicality that she didn't have children. So I got her a card and changed "Happy Mother's Day" to "Happy Not Mother's Day." I included a gift certificate for having her toe nails painted at a shop that paints a flower on your big toe with a jewel set in the center. I saw this on a friend's toes at a writers meeting I attended on Saturday and thought it would look great on my wife. So I found out where she had it done.

So happy Mother's and Not Mother's Day everyone. Keep reading and enjoying our favorite books. - Bill

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:53:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 9:57:58 PM PDT
Bill Bee,

I read books by Carla Kelly, who has written many historical novels set during the Napoleonic Wars. I can't remember if you have said if you read her books or not. In a couple of her books, she writes about Badajoz, which must have been one of the worst battles of all time. Taking the city was horrible, but in the aftermath, the soldiers were allowed to sack the city. This is the author's note after her novel "One Good Turn". I hope I am not infringing any rules by including it here:

"The third siege of Badajoz (16 March-6 April 1812), is considered by many historians to be the turning point in the Peninsular War. Ciudad Rodrigo had fallen earlier, and with the total destruction of the fortress city of Badajoz on the Spanish/Portuguese border, all of central Spain was now open to Allied advance. Never again would the French mount an offensive in the Peninsula, although the war would continue more than a year.

The great tragedy of Badajoz was the forty-eight-hour nightmare of rioting, pillage, and rape by British and allied Portuguese troops that followed the successful breaching of the lines and the storming of the castle. Not a home in the town was left with furniture intact; a convent was fired; females of all ages were raped; children were bayoneted. Some of those officers who tried to stop the devastation were killed by their own troops. Other officers turned their backs on their men and by their tacit agreement, allowed the savagery to continue, until an exasperated Wellington finally set up gallows for his rampaging troops.

Military historians point out that such animal behavior was not unexpected, particularly after the three-week siege carried on in the mud and cold rain of early spring, the necessity to move faster than expected as Marmont began to threaten from the north, and the enormous bloodshed and suffering incident to taking a well-fortified position. At best, this is an academic argument.

Badajoz is a much larger city today, of course. The old walls remain in places, as well as the castle stormed at such a high cost on the evening of 6 April 1812. Many say that the town still seems to reflect sadness, even after nearly one hundred and ninety years."

I love all of her books, but especially recommend "The Wedding Journey" which is essentially a medical unit (very small) and travelling with wounded, travelling through enemy territory to try to reach safety, again during the Napoleonic Wars.

Posted on May 16, 2012 10:03:31 AM PDT
Hi all:

I've been absent because I didn't have my laptop with me in Florida. I had a "reunion" with all 3 of my sisters and had a ball. We went to the Disney Parks and enjoyed being girl's again. All four of us haven't been together since 1999. I read one book and part of another on my trip. I've read Spellbound Falls by Janet Chapman and LOVED IT!!!! This was a spin off from her series MOONLIGHT BAY. I love all her books. I'm half way through Men in Kilts by Katie MacAlister. It is a contemporary funny light story about an author going to England for an author's conference and finding a hunky Scottish man. I am reading this in a dtb (which has been on my tbr mountain for years). I like reading on my Kindle much better. I know I'm spoiled! LOL
Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:10:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 16, 2012 10:22:21 AM PDT
Doralady:

I am sorry to read that you are hurting. What did you do to your leg/foot? I had to go to the dr for my foot before I left for Florida. I got 2 injections in my right foot to destroy the Morton's Neuroma that formed on 2 of my nerves in my right foot. Let me tell you OUCH! I'm so glad I did it because it solved the major pain I had in my right foot.....once I recovered from the pain of the injections (5 long days). I was so happy I could walk ( with my new orthodics in my shoes) around the Disney Parks as long as I took breaks to SIT DOWN! LOL My sisters are older than me so we weren't walking very fast! :-D
I hope you are healing quickly and enjoying the reading time.

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:17:00 AM PDT
Bill Bee says:
PamR - Thank you for the information on Carla Kelly. I have read a couple of books by her and she is becomming a favorite author of mine. I have not read either of the books you mentioned. I will race to get my hands on those books.

Next time I am in Spain I will have to visit Badojoz. I also read about the two days of pillage and rape of the Spanish citizens who were innocent since it was the French who had occupied the city who resisted the siege. - Bill

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:18:19 AM PDT
Bill:

Sooooo what did you think ......which book did you like better (Sixpence Bride (Timeswept) or Spenceworth Bride)?

I love what you did for you wife's "HAPPY NOT MOTHER'S DAY"! You did good Bill! :-D

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:24:51 AM PDT
Bill Bee says:
Pam - I know how much you love your sisters and I can just imagine how much fun your reunion was.

I added Spellbound Falls to my wish list, even though I don't normally read paranormals. Men in Kilts won't work for me. I am allergic to Scottish Highlander stories. Too alpha for me. I hope now that you know this, we can still be friends, since I know how near and dear Highlanders are to your heart. LOL! - Bill

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 10:28:32 AM PDT
Bill Bee says:
Pam - I liked them both, but I liked Spenceworth Bride the best. The novel I am working on (and may never get done) involves a woman who comes from 1817 to the present, so I was interested for that reason. But I think I would have liked the Spenceworth Bride slightly better anyway.

Yes, I think I did do good on Mother's Day. I am only successful on holidays like this half the time, which may not be such a bad batting average for husbands. - Bill

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 12:15:42 PM PDT
Bill:

Wow....you liked the SPENCEWORTH better! I like going back in time more than coming forward in my books. You need to get busy and finish writing your book so I can read it!!! :-)

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 12:21:19 PM PDT
Bill:

I knew you wouldn't care for MEN IN KILTS. It's probably going to be a 3* book for me. He is not that alpha in this book. He is a man that barely shares his thoughts. The h is going nuts because he doesn't tell her much.

Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 4:25:40 PM PDT
Bill Bee says:
Pam - Not telling your lover / girlfriend / wife much is a male disease. I think it is hard wired in us. Maybe it is a cosmic joke on humanity by a God with a sense of humor or a God who wants to make life interesting for us.

My book is coming very slowly. I am going to retire next November. Then maybe I can make some progress on it. But it will still take a couple of years to write it. When the second or third draft is done, I may ask you to read it. - Bill

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 11:12:57 PM PDT
Bill:
LOL.....so true about most men!
Oh boy....I'll read it for you.......can't wait!

You are going to retire next November? My hubby can't retire until 67 according to the Social Security.
Pam

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2012 8:28:53 AM PDT
Bill Bee says:
Pam - I will be 65 in October and eligible for Medicare. I won't be able to live richly but I won't be destitute either. My wife is going to retire at the end of next school year. She won't be eligible for Medicare for another couple of years. That is what I get for marrying a younger woman. I am glad she is only three years younger. So we will have to pay full price for her health insurance for a few years.

So now my secret is out on this forum: I am old, very very old. I can't kid myself that you all imagine me as a young suave romantic hero of a guy anymore. Sigh. LOL! - Bill

Posted on May 17, 2012 8:53:51 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 9, 2012 7:50:49 AM PDT]

Posted on May 17, 2012 2:55:39 PM PDT
Bill Bee says:
I am reading Beast (Avon Romantic Treasure) by Judith Ivory. It is good but I am not that caught up in the story. Not quite my style and it is not just that it is set in 1902 rather then 1802. Beautiful rich girl meets sophisticated older rich guy doesn't quite ring my bell. I am curious enough to want to find out how it turns out though.

I should stick to Regencies which always please me, even when they aren't nearly as good as a Mary Balogh or Judith Quinn novel. - Bill
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  241
Total posts:  7965
Initial post:  Feb 16, 2010
Latest post:  45 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions