Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8401-8425 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:46:44 AM PDT
She meant her stuffed dog, of course!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:48:19 AM PDT
Good idea.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:55:32 AM PDT
Ms. P. says:
That's true, Anna. And maybe my tolerance for badly behaving authors was already low from having spent so many years dealing with teachers.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of wonderful teachers. But I also had to sit in a staff meeting last year and listen to my teammates make fun of a little girl's poem because she'd written something about Jesus in it. Other people laughed. And people who didn't find my teammates funny often found themselves the targets of other problems. The person who took over my position this past school year had to have representation with her at every planning meeting starting in October. Seriously.

And now there are authors treating readers like utter carp, and my patience is gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 12:01:06 PM PDT
I lived through a situation where some teachers hated a new principal and started a big to do about it. We had to have CTA meetings once a week for most of the year. It was the most colossal waste of time and ended in bad feelings all the way around. And this from teachers who are supposedly teaching their students to work things out in a peaceful manner.

Good and bad in every profession, no doubt about it.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 12:21:59 PM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
I actually can relate strangely. I've never been a teacher (well, now I am, but not of children).

My experience was with a unit I deployed with. I had always loved my job, took pride in my military service, tried to do my best. But then I deployed with a new unit and saw unethical behavior I had never experienced before. I saw hypocricy and abuse of authority. I saw a senior NCO threaten administrative action against a Soldier for "gossipping" about him. The truth was, the Soldier like everyone else in the company, was talking about the real and quite open unethical conduct of the NCO. I saw seniors taking days off and going to "salsa night" while my team worked 7 days a week 14-18 hour days and got raked over the coals if we missed deadline. I watched juniors get punished for the same conduct their superiors were publicly demonstrating. I saw some NCOs ostracized because they wouldn't play along or just weren't part of the old boys' club. I saw people shuck off all their social responsibility (including their marital vows) because they were "down range". Rules we followed stateside were scoffed at. When the CSM referred to my Platoon Sergeant as "Sanford and Son" but he got an award anyway, it pretty much killed it for me. I no longer have any desire to work with these people. Someone younger than me can continue to fight the good fight. I'm out.

There are loads of good Soldiers and NCOs, even a few good officers. They'll never get noticed. They do their job day in and day out. They don't violate laws or regulations. They sacrifice time with their own family to help the juniors out. They try to be the shoulder for others to cry on. But eventually, you just get burned out. As you say, the bad ones are always the ones who are going to get the attention. It enfuriates and exhausts me.

So yes, the bad behavior of other authors does irritate me. But I also see it in perspective. They aren't killing anyone, aren't destroying others' careers, aren't pushing good Joes to commit suicide. They're books. Just books. That's what I keep telling myself when I want to throw the computer across the room. Sometimes I see authors post on this or other threads and want to stifle them with their own ties. It's tough to remember these are my new peers and I have to walk that tightrope between confronting their bad behavior and keeping the peace in my new work environment. It feels eerily familiar and uncomfortable. I esp. hate it when they say they are agreeing with me, but then go off on a tangent I could never follow them on. I am grateful when a few readers recognize we are not all clones and don't necessarily all think alike and some issues have nuances.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:16:46 PM PDT
D .Smith says:
Anna,
She does not just let anyone now leave a post on her blog.I guess what ever you had said did not
go down very well.So only the very smart well gifted writers can post she has to ok everyone .
Funny thing is she has lost readers by telling people how she would want the review to read.If readers
are to stupid and have to be told how to write it,then we are to stupid to read the book any ways.
My list of do not buy books is growing daily and looks like it will be big enough to be called a novel soon.If she is as smart as she thinks she is that should have never been posted to start with and alot
of people would not have seen it.Sorry trying to type with one hand now lost the use of my left hand for now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 1:22:45 PM PDT
>>Funny thing is she has lost readers by telling people how she would want the review to read.If readers
are to stupid and have to be told how to write it,then we are to stupid to read the book any ways.<<

Excellent point!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 2:03:41 PM PDT
Kim Mullican says:
Of course not! I love my dogs. LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:14:25 PM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
Advice should be to HUG the dog, who will almost surely give you unconditional love and affection and sympathy and understanding when you need it most. Punching holes in walls is okay.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:35:11 PM PDT
Kim Mullican says:
LOL, I was kidding. I smooch the pooches. I'd never hurt my babies.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 3:39:40 PM PDT
I don't think they were making fun of it...mostly because from what I understand, its supposedly their trip from Miami to Austin...but I don't know - I know that the two characters are the same names as the author and his gf

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:24:20 PM PDT
Wow! Suicide by blog. I looked it up and there are no comments. What author would be foolish enough to post a blog like that? She needs a class in anger management. But please don't tar all authors with the same brush. Many of us are pubbed by publishers and self-pubbed as well. And we use great editors to edit our works before we put it out on our own. There are various reasons for self-pubbing, one being timing. So please reserve your judgment and take each author as they come.

This woman obviously has something wrong somewhere to do something so self-destructive. I feel sorry for her because she has hurt her reputation deeply.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:32:23 PM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Jean, believe me, we do not paint ALL self-pubbed authors with the same brush.

The point of this thread is to bring to light Badly Behaving Authors, who have foolishly (to use your word) belittled, derided, or what have you, on top of scamming, readers on this site and others.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 5:33:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:03:46 PM PDT
"I knew I couldn't do epic but that you could...hence the request."

I got it in an another one. Get it while it lasts! LOL

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2PMMZDQCC228V/ref=cm_cr_rev_detmd_pl?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2O8WO515SLFDI&cdMsgNo=3&cdPage=1&asin=B0016OKQWG&store=movies-tv&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx3C5FKSE6V588A&cdMsgID=Mx3JMH0QZ24DKWA#Mx3JMH0QZ24DKWA

;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:05:30 PM PDT
She actually did have comments, but she didn't like them so she deleted them and made comments available only for members of her blog. It will be interesting to see if she gets any and if they are all only complimentary.

We know that all authors aren't like this.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:11:46 PM PDT
cathyr says:
"mutant goldfish"? Wasn't that a Big Bang Theory episode?

:-D

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:14:42 PM PDT
"Now I have to go figure out what "13.5% on One-Hit Wonders" means."

People whose review for your book is in fact their only review. Too many One-Hit Wonders equals too little credibility.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:17:04 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 25, 2012 7:52:39 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:17:50 PM PDT
"heh heh someone doesn't have enough to do....I think the math is bum."

C'mon, Pete. I did you the courtesy of complimenting your (relatively) low percentage of One-Hit Wonders. Do me the courtesy of not playing ignorant.

You've got two books (a novel and a short story collection), with a total of 38 reviews. (Was 37 yesterday afternoon.) Of those 37 reviews, there was a total of five One-Hit Wonders: three for the novel and two more for the short story collection. As it turns out, several of these One-Hit Wonders are in fact tit-for-tat reviews from other authors: Alexander McNabb, Vernon Baker, Susanne O'Leary. Indeed, and on further examination, many of your other reviews are reciprocal as well: Heikki Hietala, Stephen Woodfin, Fred Limberg, Michael Davidson, and Stacey Danson (as Soooz Burke), at the very least.

So that's 10 of 38 that can be discounted, for a grand total of 26%.

Care to try for more?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 6:18:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 15, 2012 6:22:08 PM PDT
Pete Morin says:
Thank you Jason - my lesson for the day. I was counting only the novel.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 1:05:03 AM PDT
Hmmmm.

<<Why are my reviews disappearing?>>

http://forums.kindledirectpublishing.com/kdpforums/thread.jspa?threadID=39581&start=0&tstart=0

I don't know if this can be believed or not because this author has a feud with another author whose reviews he reported:
<<I just received an email from the KDP executive office to inform me they are investigating a matter that came up in the past. Evidently they may be making some changes in the community guidelines, perhaps putting some teeth to those "guidelines.">>

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 1:32:42 AM PDT
Winter says:
You saw that Doobie said that the BBA and the BBR threads are full of vigilantes who are anti indie and are responsible for these deletions?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 2:45:35 AM PDT
Splinker says:
Biigger and deader than ever.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 5:43:23 AM PDT
Shame on you all with your "gleefull high fives" "as you purposefully route out the reviews, authors etc". Don't know you are destroying lives??!!?

There are few things worse than a hypocrite.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 16, 2012 6:00:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 6:01:08 AM PDT
Ian Fraser says:
@DC from WA USA
Do you call your local police station and berate them for catching criminals, too? Because that's what you're doing here.

Only the fraudulent 'authors' with fake reviews are being targeted. You know, the scum who give the honest writers a bad name. Sorry you're in some kind of bizarre mindwarp where you can't tell 'honest' from 'dishonest.'

ps. The word you were looking for, I think, is 'root' not route.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
H has Asperger's syndrome? 29 3 minutes ago
Looking for Book Title - Inherits House and Moves Cross Country 4 14 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 3440 15 minutes ago
Scottish highland romance : heroine heals and speaks to animals 0 29 minutes ago
Scottish highlander romance heroine with a healing touch and speaks to animals 0 30 minutes ago
M&B Heroine a Hollywood writer, hero the actor 7 43 minutes ago
Africa-American or Indian or Latino single mom 6 1 hour ago
Medieval romance, Hero claims heroine using the IUS PRIME NOCSTIS/ Droit du seigneur on 20 1 hour ago
Biker Romance Part 2 860 2 hours ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 5815 2 hours ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #3 2563 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  338
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 28 customers

Search Customer Discussions