Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Badly Behaving Authors

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8876-8900 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:05:18 PM PDT
Oh, that's very good. I love this part of the quote:

>>Acknowledge the bad behavior. Don't bury your head in the sand and pretend it doesn't happen. When consumers bring up the subject, say "Yes, it does happen. Just like it unfortunately happens in every other industry." Acknowledge the concern. Some indies worry that admiting that it happens only reinforces the belief that we are all guilty. On the contrary, it stops the marginalization of concerned readers and allows them to trust you. You want readers to walk away saying "Here is an author who 'gets it' and recognizes the problem." not "Here's another apologist making excuses."<<

So good!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:10:00 PM PDT
Hey, if it's that easy . . .

*Anna begins writing her carp masterpiece about were-monkeys.*

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:10:01 PM PDT
There's no need to thank me, Anna. I've been a reader twice as long as I've been a writer and still look at this type of behavior from that standpoint. Readers deserve honesty and fair play. If you're not giving it to them, you have no business publishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:13:34 PM PDT
I do thank you for posting, Stephen, because in the last few days we've had an assault of authors telling us everything from "You're vigilantes" to "this is such a hostile atmosphere" to "nothing you're doing here makes a difference" to "the ones who are cheating are selling books, so . . ."

It's just so nice to have an author say what you did in your post and I appreciate it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:16:21 PM PDT
peachbird76 says:
Ooohh I love it already.
Don't forget to add some spelling mistakes and try not to use punctuation.
It'll level the playing field and you won't be accused of having an unfair advantage. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 6:57:07 PM PDT
If you were truly "vigilantes" you would be ganging up and swarming authors with negative reviews. I don't see anyone doing that. What I see is people collecting an impressive amount of evidence and presenting it to the authorities(Amazon). If one must use a law enforcement analogy, this group is more of the neighborhood watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 7:00:54 PM PDT
Winter says:
*hangs head in shame*

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:28:46 PM PDT
Iola says:
Thanks for the link, Winter. A couple more people to put on ignore!

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:30:10 PM PDT
overheard....

<<Yikes, those forums and the pitchfork-y crowd scare the crap out of me. It's like ... I don't even do the bad things that get people in trouble, but I slow down when the police car drives by, ya know? Scary stuff.>>

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 8:45:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2012 10:16:55 PM PDT
Winter says:
Not sure I buy it. I suspect some people needed to explain why they are against reporting TOS violations to Amazon without explaining that they are worried that their own TOS violations will be exposed. The reason we slow down around cops is there is just so much you can be cited for: registration, tail light, license plate LIGHT, headlight out, weaving, breaking traction, seat belts, braking, not signalling properly and those are just a few. We get in the habit of casual driving and suddenly we wonder if we are 'too' casual and will be pulled over for overlooking SOMETHING.

But just how 'wrong' can you go if you are around BBA regulars and what can they do to you? Accidental 'posting while puppeting' (i.e., sock), accidentally shilling? And if 'caught' what happens? We...comment? Or we report something to Amazon and Amazon decides whether to investigate or act? Well I'd rather meet that 'fate' then receive a ticket for driving while talking (cellphone), running a red light etc. But that's just me. I think this is a claim to imply we are 'chilling' free interchange of information when in fact BBA's abusing negative or neutral reviewers are 'The Big Chill.'

ETA: Really the whole BBA/Rabid FANBOY/Rabid FANGIRL'if you can't leave a positive review, you shouldn't leave on' and attacking reviewers (e.g., declaring low star reviewers stupid or fraudulent, sending flying monkey's from offsite blogs to perform clicking campaigns) has done alot to intimidate readers - certainly MUCH more than anyone calling such practices into question. It's not unusual for someone to post that they don't leave reviews because they don't want the harassment or headache.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 10:26:09 PM PDT
cathyr says:
"Why Indies get self-promotion all wrong..." is bringing them all back out. Remember Robert Blevins? Brent Butler's arch-nemesis and self-promoter?

He's back: http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20book/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3RFWX8IMGF85E&cdMsgNo=265&cdPage=11&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1M8OB19XKS4QD&cdMsgID=Mx2J2EMIE001T2T#Mx2J2EMIE001T2T

I like this: "Forget Amazon reviewers...many of them are failed writers anyway. (*laughs*) The only reviews that count are the ones done by pro reviewers at mags and newspapers, etc. The ones at Amazon come from people who review everything from car parts to a five-gallon pail of survival food. And they don't do it for a living, so they're amateurs. The only ones I give any credence to these days are the ones that say 'Amazon Verified Purchase'. Forget the rest and move on."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 10:56:21 PM PDT
I left him a snarky reply to that paragraph. Talk about condescending! That right there would make me not take any advice from him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:18:33 PM PDT
cathyr says:
I just like the idea that someone who leaves reviews on books from his own publishing house feels the need to tell us which reviewers are legit.

Let me guess? Not you?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 18, 2012 11:47:21 PM PDT
Winter says:
Anna, I left you a message here:
http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle%20book/ref=cm_cd_et_md_pl?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3RFWX8IMGF85E&cdMsgNo=271&cdPage=11&cdSort=oldest&cdThread=Tx1M8OB19XKS4QD&cdMsgID=Mx2MCMB1522O1P0#Mx2MCMB1522O1P0

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 12:12:42 AM PDT
You'll have to forgive my bad mood yesterday.

Amazon's disgraceful behaviour really annoyed me. The problem is that I am here to sell books. It isn't a hobby for me, but a serious activity. And Amazon just made me feel devalued by operating within their rules: But it is their ballpark - and if I complain I risk being ejected from the site. Which I can't afford.

There's no downside for you guys complaining about Amazon's own poor behaviour is there?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:13:59 AM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
I've been thinking about this. Has anyone considered a write in campaign to let Amazon know the readers (and some writers) disapprove of their tacit approval of this author's tactics? I don't think they'd kick anyone off for simply expressing concern in a polite email. Or maybe an online petition? Perhaps their "sales" people have just not been talking to their "customer service" people? I don't know. But just complaining on here isn't going to do anything. It is disheartening.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:15:37 AM PDT
HJ Leonard says:
Pretty much. We are pretty much (not all/only) strictly customers of Amazon, and what is one of our favorite sayings around here? 'Don't bite the hand that feeds you.' That applies to Amazon as well.

Hope you're feeling a bit better today. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:34:07 AM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
Anna, I hope you reconsider.

Will hasn't said one mean thing. He's a goofball at times. He is inappropriate at times. But he is not mean. He is being honest. I know that's not popular these days. But he is also a stand up guy who has made his voice heard elsewhere. If you could all stop fawning over Ian long enough to see that there are many authors who support your position but do not use the same language or conversational style and that are intellectually honest enough to truthfully tell you how painful and difficult it is to do the things you advocate.

He didn't suggest we should be dishonest. From what I was hearing, he said it leaves one feeling there is little benefit in it. Lecturing us about how we ought to do it for honor, or our conscience, doesn't really make us feel better when we see people succeding in achieving *our* dreams by being crooks while we look like suckers, still playing in the baby pool.

Worse, for a guy like Will who is actually trying to support his family at least in part with it, it has a special urgency and sting. How would you feel if some scummy teacher got a pass on her bad behavior and indeed received a teacher of the year award and a fat raise? It is realistic to point out for many authors, it makes doing the right thing very difficult. A little understanding would go a long way.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 2:37:38 AM PDT
P. S. Wright says:
Cut and paste?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 3:04:33 AM PDT
mountainmama says:
Anna, I agree - I doubt that any one review helps a book that much - no matter who writes it. I will read reviews, but usually base my decision on the 'look inside' feature. I don't care much for sci-fi, romance, or erotica, so it doesn't matter to me if it has thousands of 5-star reviews (or who wrote them). I do pay more attention to reviews by authors that I like - it seems they notice more of the stuff that makes a book a good read to me.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 4:31:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 4:33:00 AM PDT
Iola says:
Totally out of genre here, but I would like to point out an example of what a professional publisher does when a review points out that a book is riddled with errors.

They withdraw the book.

And reprint.

And provide free copies of the new book to anyone who purchased the first one.

http://www.reformation21.org/blog/2012/06/ivp-responds-to-review.php

ETA: I was almost going to contratulate IVP, but then I noticed they did forget one thing - the letter does not actually include an apology.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:38:47 AM PDT
"Your opinion of illegal file sharing sites is?????"

I hate that they exist. It's just that there's a right way and a wrong way to address the issue. I just did a Look Inside and it appears the author has edited that section because it no longer includes the part about beating with a shirt.

But I also noticed that she refers to them as "smarmy" sites. I expect an author to understand the meaning of words and how to use them. Completely getting a word wrong before the book even starts doesn't bode well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:41:26 AM PDT
"We send them to MOA, but I know that isn't really all that helpful because it's so confusing there."

I think it's probably better to refer them to the KDP forum because it's more focused on writers helping each other in regards to self-publishing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:48:53 AM PDT
Cheryl M-M says:
<<I will tell you that if I ever find out that you have posted this book on an illegal file-sharing site and pretended that you were using the site like a library, I will soak a geeky t-shirt in ammonia and beat you with it.>>
The sad thing is she probably thinks that is either a really funky way of staying en vogue with her readership (age group) or actually will deter someone from doing it.
That sentence is more likely to entice aka dare someone to do it.

She can talk the talk, but can she walk the walk.

On a more reflective note does the fact she wants to beat people with t-shirt soaked in ammonia a sign that she
a) read and enjoyed 50 Shades of Grey (and took notes),
b) her evil on-review-commenting other personality likes to hand out physical punishment for personal kicks,
c) thinks she is omnipotent
or
d) all of the above.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 5:52:55 AM PDT
Tansy Gold says:
Since Ms. Park is not an officer of the law, she has no authority to inflict any kind of punishment on anyone, regardless the "crime" they may have committed. Someone, or someone's lawyer, might consider her words to be a threat of bodily harm.

I'd say only A and B; if she thought she were omnipotent, she wouldn't have removed the threat.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
4 Mar 13, 2015
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
115 1 day ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 2978 1 minute ago
Worst Betrayal Ever!!! 2 118 2 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 2428 2 minutes ago
Second Chance Romance 4068 4 minutes ago
Free Today Second Edition 6669 5 minutes ago
Are people seriously paying 76 7 minutes ago
Fans of k-dramas... please help 4388 20 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 6669 21 minutes ago
Outlander 639 26 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 3429 1 hour ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  338
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 23, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 30 customers

Search Customer Discussions