Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Ramirez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 4:23:01 PM PDT
You're welcome :) It takes us forever (I think about 2 years) to actually reach that many points, but it's such a nice treat when we get there.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 4:24:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2011 4:25:02 PM PDT
Switch ccs! Chase cards do. and I think Bank of America as well...

ETA Sometimes you have to dig around in the search options too, for the GCs to come up...

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:28:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2011 5:27:58 AM PDT
TravelingGal says:
Our Kindle account is on my credit card rather than the joint credit card so theoretically my husband doesn't know how much I spend. Of course, he also takes care of all the mail but he just rolls his eyes when he passes me the (multi) page statement with row after row of Amazon Kindle purchases on it. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 5:39:42 PM PDT
PShaw says:
Reader, I don't know what you like, but I recently downloaded Texas Hold Him for free from Lisa Cooke. I saw where she was an author who got messed over by that whole Dorchester fiasco and they offered her book for free and I felt sorry and, well that whole "one click" thing was created by the devil, and the next thing I knew I was laughing and loving that book. Western historical romance. I may have to find her backlist.

That's the worst part. They offer those free of cheap books to get you hooked, and before I know it I'm hanging out on virtual street corners in the middle of the night willing to pay almost anything for the next book by that author. Sigh.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:42:18 PM PDT
PShaw says:
And whoever it was who suggested slipping an Amazon gift card onto the grocery bill was a freaking genius.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 7:12:18 PM PDT
Thank you Cali Mom for your advice. My Mom gifted me w/ an early birthday/Christmas present, a kindle and your advice helped us decide...plus Best Buy had a super promo that Staples matched.

LOL everyone for their confessions...

@Noelle-Borders has a huge sale because *sniff, sniff* they're closing for good. So my tbr has grown like mold in my brother's bathroom...
C.E. Murphy's Walker Papers(because I absol. love the Negotiator series)
Thea Harrison's Storm's Heart (got for $4.49!)
Swann's Wolf Cross
Cythia Eden's Never Cry Wolf
Seanan McGuire Rosemary and Rue
KAt Richardson's Labyrinth
Hauf's Ashes of Angels
J.D. Tyler's Primal Law
Yasmine Galenorn's Night Veil... not to mention the ones I've read already

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 8:07:59 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Dear book buying confessional,
I did it again. The library close to work had a huge book sale. More books taking over the spare bedroom that is supposed to be my boyfriend's office/relaxation room( like there's any room for anything but the wall to wall book shelves I have in there. I think I'm going to try and say I got them from the library(which is true, I'm just leaving out that they are now part of my horde.

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 8:24:20 PM PDT
Iola says:
I've taken to loaning books out to friends. When they return one, I loan two more, then three more etc, so that hubby doesn't notice the additional space being taken by the collection. The problem will reoccur when they all decide to return them at once and not take any more... He's fairly understanding, because he collects model airplanes which cost more and take up an entire room.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2011 8:45:18 PM PDT
Cphe says:
I find I actually go into "withdrawals" if I can not subsidise my book addiction - you know - the anxiety - the tremor you get in your hands when you are hovering over that "buy it now" button on amazon!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 7:47:46 AM PDT
Noelle says:
@Bea Reader- Sounds like a nice bundle of books you got, though I've never read any of the authors you listed. I did however just by one by Thea Harrison.
My Borders was one of the first to close and when I went to the closeout sale I not only left with a bundle of books but I also got one of thier library ladders and track. I couldn't believe how they (Borders) went about dismantleing the store. I thought they would wait until all of the books were sold or out of the store and there would be no customers left,have everything already dismantled and then sell it. But no, all of the shelves still had books on them (they were selling those too and if someone wanted it they had to pull the books off of it) all we needed was our own screwdriver. My husband had to climb up there and start taking it apart and there were poeple under him still shoping for books, peices were falling and everything. It just seemed like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 7:48:41 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I have that too Cphee!! lol

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 7:51:26 AM PDT
Reader says:
PShaw:

Thanks for the rec! I just got it. I like all romance (contemp., historical, western, etc.). The only thing that kills stories for me are doormat h. If you remeber any others freebies worth reading time let me know! ;)

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 8:15:25 AM PDT
I haven't bought a book in a week.

It's hard, sometimes I wander from room to room, wondering what I'm doing, what I'm looking for, then I have an 'AHA' moment, I'm looking for my purse so that I can run off to Barney's to buy, buy, buy. Sometimes I feel shaky, anxious but then I visit my TBR shelf, which has thirty nine beyootiful unread books, then my ereader, with eighty eight unread books and I know everything will be okay, I wont run out of stuff to read for a very, very long time.

Seriously, it's some kind of book buying withdrawal.

But I made the decision to not buy anything until I make a dent in my TBR pile. But it is soooooo hard, what with the Borders Sale and having easy access to a computer and a hubby who doesn't mind my indulging my habit.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 8:26:46 AM PDT
I sincerely hope you accomplish your plan. If you do, please tell me the way, because this is still a problem for me. And, if you need moral support, I am sure most of us here will be ready to give it to you.
My latest issue is that I own the first 5 books of the "Earths children". Although I know that the reviews for the "land of the painted caves" are condemning, I will certainly buy it, just to complete the series. Is there something else I can do?

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:00:02 AM PDT
Laura Yirak says:
My husband is the one who buys the books and he refuses to get a kindle, but the piles keep getting bigger and bigger! He clicks away! I'm going to get him a kindle for xmas :)

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:47:41 AM PDT
Hahahaha this is such a fun thread....I'm glad I'n not the only one unable to resist the dreaded (But Oh-So-LOVED) 'One-Click' Button.
If my bf were to know how easy it was to buy books for my kindle, and how religiously I use it, he would have a heart attack!
Let's hear it for KINDLE & the wonderful invention of the '1-Click' button! Whoop - Whoop!!!!

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:50:59 AM PDT
The problem seems to be non-reading husbands, who therefore don't understand our
absolute need to have a supply of books at hand. Mine says "don't give me anymore
books.... I have 3 on the shelf I haven't read yet..." So, they force us to hide our
books and feel guilty - heavens, there are so many worse hobbies .... expensive shoes,
jewelry, antiques , etc. Where is the harm in feeding your mind??

Being addicted to British books - secondhand when possible - I pick up dozens on my
annual trip to England. I used to take a footlocker - believe it or not! - to fill up with
books, but Delta takes a dim view of that nowadays. So I take my one suitcase full
of old clothes, wear them and throw they away ... and bring back my cherished books.
Anyone agree I have my priorities right? (I don't buy anything I can get cheap on
Amazon of course!) I probably look awful in my old clothes, but I am well-read!! LOL.

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 9:56:22 AM PDT
E. Burns says:
My purchases are via debt, so if the money ain't there, the money ain't there.

BTW, reason #33 to stay single-- You can buy all the books you want and not have to explain it to anyone. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 10:31:47 AM PDT
oh good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has withdrawal symptoms!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 10:33:26 AM PDT
I did that my 2nd extended trip to Germany! Bought books all summer and threw out most of my clothes to make room for them coming back :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 10:38:36 AM PDT
booknuts says:
noelle, you were unbelievably lucky to get that library ladder and track--it's been on my dream library wish list forever!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 11:36:55 AM PDT
Noelle says:
Whoop- Whoop!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 11:43:23 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I agree booknuts. We had been pricing them on-line before the sale and they were about 1000.00 for just the ladder. I was able to get the ladder and track for 300.00 from Borders, it's used and not as pretty as the ones on-line but a hole lot cheaper!

Posted on Aug 11, 2011 12:08:37 PM PDT
E. Burns says:
Clean it, strip it and re-varnish it and it will look just fine!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2011 12:10:36 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Agreed E. Burns! Now all I have to do is get my husband to instal it, it's laying in my closet at the moment.lol
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  210
Total posts:  7815
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  12 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 23 customers

Search Customer Discussions