Customer Discussions > Romance forum

DON'T SHOOT ME!! Looking for Cheating Hero . . . . . . .

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 9976-10000 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 11:09:19 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
Vanessa, so the OW he has a one nighter with the H/h becomes friends with? Her husband cheated on he so she knows what it's like but she slept with the H? And the h becomes friends with her? Am I getting this right? Why does the H need to forgive himself? I certainly wouldn't becomes friends with the woman my husband slept with.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2011 11:12:22 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
TrishaLouise, I'm going to post a review for your blog this comming week, I'm thinking of The Coming Home Place, I get a little nervous after the review Boogenhagen did, hers was just so professional. I would love TPWNN to do one and also Books&Wine and I'd love for Vanessa to take one of our crappy ones and give us a believable HEA.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 1:48:49 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
Vanessa, this was released in 1962.

Posted on May 21, 2011 2:58:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2011 3:01:52 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
RE From Fields of Gold by Alexandra Ripley or

Why I Forgot About This Book At the Bottom Of My Closet and Probably Should Have Left It There.

As you can tell from the above, I was not a happy camper with this book. The basic story is the h Chess marries the womanizing man ho (okay the H) Nate. She also comes with a patent for a fancy schmancy tobacco rolling machine-- yep this is the beginning of the smoking industry before we all got wiser and learned Just Say NO.

Chess is an amazing woman for her time, as the author would have you believe, she stands with Nate as a partner in his burgeoning business, runs a gracious Southern home and is a proud mama of a feisty little girl. Nate is a womanizer, three mistresses at a time, various visits to bordellos and a fatal infatuation for kinky sex with his minister brother's wife who is a manipulative witch of the first order. In spite of all this manly love he is dishing out, he can't even make sure his wife enjoys sex because "ladies don't like sex". So what does that make his sister in law who is a minister's wife?

The worst part of all this is Nate feels ashamed of his addiction to sex and he tearfully confesses to Chess his inability to let his affair with his sister in law go. So they go to England, Chess to buy furniture, Nate to get out of his affair with Lily the sister in law. While there Chess meets her cousin Randal who is an amazing lover and starts up an affair. She is now 45 and has been married for 15 years and has never been kissed or had an orgasm. Well at least the girl gets some and she is really enthralled.

Time moves on, as it does and Nate and Chess return to the US and in the course of events Lily has a son and tells Nate it is his. Nate is over the moon of course and Lily is ecstatic cause now she can really make Nate pay through the nose. Lily has been charging for her services over the years and previously lost her remittances in a bank failure, but she is smexxing Nate for all he is worth and he cheerfully forks over the cash.

Chess basically tells Nate he is a pig, the boy is probably Lily's husband's and not his, (and given the alternative entry positions, I have to agree) and he better start appreciating his daughter or life will soon become horrible for him at home. She also adds he needs to wash as he has never come home stinking of his women before and don't think he can start now.

With all of this edifying and enlightening action going on, Nate and Chess are invited to the Vanderbilt's and there Chess runs into Randall again. Randall has decided he is in love with Chess and she should divorce Nate, get a huge settlement and go shack up with him. Chess decides she needs to make Nate admit his love and smex him up for good times in bed. This happens on the last page and bang, supposed HEA.

My Take-- WTF? The ending of this story was badly done. There is no resolution to the Lily plot, there is no reconfiguring of the marriage or any acknowledgement that a new beginning is being made and there is no guarantee or attempt to assure the reader that Nate really loves his wife and will stay faithful.

I know he won't stay faithful, the man's a dog. He loves Chess but he isn't in love and Chess, for all she acts like an 18 year old ingénue, should have gotten a better resolution. Ms. Ripley was a Southern Lady and I do mean that capitalized, unfortunately it comes across in her writing. Her gentility gets in the way of really writing what needs to be written to make us believe Nate and Chess have a chance in the love stakes.

Nate needed to have a revelation that he could have moderately kinky sex with Chess and both could enjoy it. Chess needed to hear Nate apologize and explain that he really wants her and only her. As it is left, Nate will be having nice sweet sex with Chess and go to Lily when he needs to get his kinda kink on. Even the kink part is ladylike and if your going into sexual obsession, you have to be gritty. Polite little descriptions are okay, but they don't convey the power of a full fledged sexual obsession. Surprisingly, she did a good job of describing Chess's infatuation with Randall but fails miserably when it comes to Nate. I know Nate's obsessed because she tells me he is, I know Chess is obsessed because she shows me.

Randall is another sore point. Chess deserved some lovin', no one more, but she also deserved a better lover than Randall who basically comes off as chasing her for her money. This is a deliberate character bias on the author's part, cause Randall was actually decent to Chess and treated her like a desirable woman. I wanted Chess to be with Randall, he cared. Ms Ripley realized too late that she wrote herself into a corner and had to make Randall look like a jerk so Chess would stay with manho Nate. This book was such a disappointment on the romance front, I had to throw it in the back of a closet and it is going back there now.

If you read this, read for the history, the famous historical characters and the interesting story of a woman who carves out a place for herself in business as a" power behind the throne" thing. Don't read it for the romance cause IMO, there isn't much of one.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 3:11:59 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
boogenhagen, is there another book, like a sequel? Just hoping because it doesn't seem like there is an ending to this book, so many things left unanswered, I hate that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 3:15:38 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Nope, that was all she wrote. The book really was finished otherwise, it was just the pseudo romance part that was abrupt. I only focused on the romance. Other parts were okay.

Posted on May 21, 2011 3:22:12 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
So did you find out if the boy was Nate's? Did Nate finish his affair with SIL? Did Chess finish with Randall? Did Nate's brother have any idea that his wife was a whore? So it ended with Ches/Nate with a HFN, with SIL awaiting Nate so she can whore for him to get money and also asking for money for her son, his son? What did Nate say when Chess said he had to wash himself? I wouldn't take that crap even in those times, he was an *ss. I would have taken a settlement and moved on, I know she loved Nate, but she knew what he was getting up to, she deserved better. I don't think I can read it if it's not a HEA. Thanks for the spoilers. Sounds very, very angsty. I've got The Court of the Flowering Peach, similar sort of book, I'm just about to start it. I hope it's going to be okay.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 3:47:51 AM PDT
boogenhagen says:
Chess finished with Randall to go smex Nate, no other resolution re the Lily situation. I loved the Court of the Flowering Peach and I was very emotionally satisfied with the outcome in that book, but From Fields of Gold was an emotional letdown, the payoff just wasn't there.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 3:54:18 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
Thanks I'm off to make a nice cuppa, and start it now, it's great to know that it's going to be an emotional HEA, to make up for the angst in the book. I don't mind the angst just as long as I get my HEA. With saying that Fields of Gold will be a miss for me, thanks for the heads up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 5:02:39 AM PDT
CG,

Friend-ing is great in theory but personally it just leaves me feeling guilty. I feel like I should apologize to anyone that friends me on GR because I have NOTHING in my personal profile, not even books listed. But not friend-ing back even if it's to spare someone the boringness of my inactivity seems rude so I usually just click accept. ;-P

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 6:12:13 AM PDT
Bernadette says:
The Man She left Behind by Janice Carter. The h returns home to sell the family house, she meets her maybe biological mother and the old boyfriend who lives there with his teenage son that he had with the h's former bf.
Just a note, there's a great used book website:www.1stchoiceusedbooks.com. Every book comes with the synopsis from the back of the book and the people on the website are great. No connection, I've just used them a lot.
I also opt for both the Goodreads site as well as a Don't Shoot part deux!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 6:31:48 AM PDT
M. Nix says:
B. Sabatini, Can you give us more spoilers on The Man She Left Behind?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 6:40:43 AM PDT
Bernadette says:
Its been a while since I've read it, I will have to go back and skim and get back to you. I do remember it wasn't really that good. But I will do my research!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 6:43:18 AM PDT
M. Nix says:
Thank you!! :)

Posted on May 21, 2011 6:45:22 AM PDT
seton says:
re: Friend-ing on GR

You dont have to accept people's friend requests (you can even block them from contacting you again if u want) and u certainly dont have to fill out ur profile. If u guard ur privacy so much, u can always change ur profile to private. The benefits for having friends are many fold and what u take advantage of.

1. Recommendations - u can ask for recommends in many many ways. Official request which ur friends will answer. OR u can lem whatever ur friends are reading and liking at the moment. You can also check out the bookshelves of friends whose taste u like. I've had friends read every bk on my "childhood-connect" and "keeper" tagged shelves w/o having to ask. My shelves are for sharing for my friends as well as keeping records for me.

2. Reviews - when u check a book page for the reviews, GR will show your friends' reviews FIRST before the entire community reviews. Very useful. Especially for bks that have hundreds of reviews.

3. Networking - for a person like myself who has lots of friends on various forums and blogs and is not limited to just Amazon, GR lets me consolidate a lot of my friends all in one place so that I dont have to hop onto so many sites anymore and still keep in touch with them. I get word of promotions and happenings from my feed.

4. Private Messaging - obviously not avail on amazon

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:14:56 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Nope. He never saw the other woman again. They were literally like two ships that passed in the night. The h felt insecure about this other woman, Rhoda, because she was single, pretty, kind, etc. Yep, Rhoda's hubby - now deceased - had cheated on her w/ OW after Rhoda and he had been married for 5 years. He got OW pregnant and Rhoda was unable to have kids. Eventually Rhoda's hubby, Sam, finds out that OW had child who is 4 and OW is ill w/ deadly illness. So he goes to get child and eventually Rhoda falls in love w/ child and raises him as her own. When the story takes place the child is older now - around college age. This was all just discussed in the book after the fact. Rhoda moved to the town and became friends w/ h/H. She knew that H thought he was developing feelings for her and didn't want to get involved that way. In fact, when he wanted to whine and share marital troubles w/ her she told him to back off. She didn't want to know the particulars. Eventually he shares them w/ her, a bit anyways, and she still tells him that the h shouldn't forgive and forget that she should forgive and remember. The H wanted the h to forgive and completely forget as though it never happened. He wanted things to be the same after his one-nighter as they were before, but that's impossible unless she were to have amnesia. I liked Rhoda she wasn't about to cross that marital line; she seemed pretty smart and in tune w/ people. The H never forgave himself for that night. He seemed to truly feel remorse for it and the guilt had ate him up. So he told his wife but he told her because he wanted to share the burden of what he had done. He later regretted telling her because it destroyed their relationship and he didn't seem to want to deal and/or work to try to get it back. It was killing him, poor baby. Rhoda said that he needed to forgive himself as well in order to move on. He felt pretty bad about the one-nighter and it seemed he was looking for absolution from others instead of looking to himself as well. He destroyed his image w/in himself and wanted others to rebuild it for him instead of trying to find the pieces to put back together w/in himself. It was like he couldn't look at himself as a whole person again until he forgave himself for his transgression. It was deeper and more complex, or at least it made me feel that way and I know I'm not explaining it very well. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:19:23 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Yes. I'm telling you I don't really read to many before the 1980's or at least not intentionally because they feel dated sometimes. I can't seem to understand some of the mindset at the time either. I didn't agree w/ some of the things the sister was telling Meg either and if felt like the sister was just existing because it seemed that her hubby had cheated as well but she stayed w/ him and she told Meg: you have to forgive and forget. Go back to the way things are because if you push him away then he will have more affairs! Davy wasn't like that. Maybe sis's hubby was but you truly believed that Davy was sorry. Sis's hubby took up w/ someone that she knew and that was actually living w/ in the house and helping out . . . ala arnie! LOL!! Of course Meg's sis never came out and said this it was all guessed at by Meg. Instead sis did that one diversion tactic where they say, "Oh this friend of mine . . . "

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:25:20 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2011 7:29:59 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
I think you answered your question about Lily. She is a wolf in sheep's clothing. Okay more like a ho since she is charging for it. Alternative entries, huh? LOL! I'm guessing your talking about backdoor! Hahahaha the start of erotica :)

Can we say Oh bless her (the author's) heart in this instance?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:32:13 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Lillian Rose - I think that book has been mentioned for our book discussion thread. Which I am so FAR behind on. I need to update the books to discuss over there too. If anyone else wants to join in over there we would love to have you :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:37:11 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
I don't know I would feel alot better if the H didn't develop feelings for Rhonda, it just seems that if she didn't say no, he would have had an affair with her. So how can I not think that if he meets someone elsse he might go down that road again, I mean he's trying to make things right yet he's coming onto Rhonda, I hate the third person saga, Meg should make up her own mind, if she can't accept what he's done then leave his sorry *ss. It might have meant nothing to him, if it meant nothing why do it? But it meant something to his wife, if the tables were turned he would be outta there so fast. Sometimes I wish you could give the cheaters a shot/injection and they suffered/felt the pain that their spouse feels. Did you believe in the HEA?

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 7:45:07 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Nah he didn't really come on to her. They saw, Meg and Rhoda both where this could be leading. I think he was feeling very lonely in his marriage at the time because Meg couldn't do what he wanted her to do. This story takes place over a couple of years. You would be reading along then it would be Christmas, then the following summer, then . . . So Meg had basically left him except for physically. I don't think he ever knew why he initially had the one-nighter w/ the OW. I didn't get the impression that his marriage was rocky before then. He really didn't know why he had done that. But he did and now they needed to figure out how to get past it. Did I believe in the HEA? Yeah I kind of did :) but then I like my rose colored glasses. LOL!! I'm wondering if the point of the story was if the one-night truly meant nothing to him then why did he have to tell her to begin w/? He couldn't handle the guilt and he seemed to want to burden her w/ it as well. Then of course he can't handle the fact that she was pulling away from him. Kind of got the impression that he thought she should have been acting like a priest at a confessional. LOL!! Life doesn't work like that at least not w/ your spouse. Did I mention that they didn't have any kids? They had been married 14 years but for some reason were unable to have children. Would I buy the book? Nah, save your book budget for better stories w/ more passion! LOL!!

Posted on May 21, 2011 8:06:13 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
If anyone has read "Meant for each other" by Lee Duran, I would love spoilers.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2011 8:10:59 AM PDT
Vanessa says:
Hey Lillian - check out page 30 of this thread. We won't be able to do that anymore will we? Once the thread is closed does that mean it will eventually disappear? So there goes all of our spoilers! Darn. Wonder if they can be moved to GR or something or will they be lost forever no matter what? Any ideas?

Posted on May 21, 2011 8:21:11 AM PDT
If you ladies want a book where the h doesn't take the H back you need to read Debbie Macombers A Turn In The Road.

1. A Good Yarn
2. A Turn In the Road

A Good Yarn is about the affair and breakup of the marriage of Grant and Bethanne and A Turn In The Road starts six years later with Grant wanting Bethanne back.

A Good Yarn is a combination of four ladies stories and they are all good.

Grant and Bethanne have been married for 20 years and he comes home and tells her that he has been having an affair with a coworker for a year or two and wants a divorce. Well she is a housewife, quit college to marry him, has never really worked outside of the home, and can't believe she didn't have a clue. She is devasted, their two teenage children are devasted, and he totally leaves them and marries "the lovely Tiffany" who is about 15 years younger.

Bethanne becomes friends with Tiffany's ex and they help each other through the trauma and become good friends. Bethanne was always known for the great parties and birthdays that she hosted for her husband and children and one of the ladies in her knitting class tells her she should charge for the parties. Grant, in the meantime, is being a total ass regarding her getting a job and making her own money and refuses to help out with the son's football camp, as if the alimony and child support should pay everything. She was just making ends meet. Okay, long story short she started the party business and it was a great success and took off quickly. The daughter hated "the lovely Tiffany" and did some pretty funny things, IMO. Signed her up for magazines, etc., etc., the final straw, though, was putting sugar in her gas tank. Grant not only hurt his wife, but his children were devasted, he left them too.

Okay, A Turn In the Road starts six years later. Bethanne's party business is now phenomenal, she has been on Good Morning America, the cover of Forbes. She has far surpassed Grant's career. Of course, by now, "the lovely Tiffany" hates Bethanne's success, tells Grant he is too old, wants more inventiveness in the bedroom, etc., etc., and she leaves Grant.

Grant apparently gives it a couple of years, because he was embarrassed, but now he wants Bethanne back. He has made up with his daughter, but his son still won't have anything to do with him. Grant's mother decides to go on a cross country road trip, Bethanne and Annie (daughter) decide to go with her. Grant, of course, is in with Annie on getting them back together. The ex-mother-in-law also wants them back together. They insist that he has learned his lesson, he made a mistake please take him back!! OMGosh, this made me mad as an affair is not a mistake. It wasn't even just an affair, he left his family and married the OW! Took her to Paris on their honeymoon when he and Bethanne had always planned to go to Paris. Anyway, I digress, on the trip the ladies meet up with some bikers and one of them is Max. Max and Bethanne have an immediate soul-mate-type attaction and he follows her from Vegas to Branson, MO. They fall in love fast, but she still doesn't know what she wants, Grant or Max. The only reason she is considering Grant is because of their 20 year history and children. Grant meets them in Florida and is really pressing the issue of their getting back together.

In the end, the family is all together for the son's wedding. Max was really a wine distributor, not just a biker, and has a very sad history of his own. He sends wine and champagne to the wedding and Grant doesn't like it. The son didn't care because he still has not forgiven Grant and wouldn't let him help in any way with his wedding. Andrew (the son) invites Max to the wedding, but doesn't tell Grant. When Max walks into the reception and Bethanne sees him there is no one else in the room. Max and Bethanne walk up to each other and just stare at one another. Grant sees this and knows that he has lost. He goes to the bathroom and cries, Andrew follows him in and they sort of make up. Max picks up Bethanne and walks from the room. The End.

Very, very good HEA!!!! I highly recommend.

Posted on May 21, 2011 8:31:38 AM PDT
M. Nix says:
I agree with Book Lover, I really enjoyed A Turn in the Road. I even felt bad for Grant and I never thought that would happen!
‹ Previous 1 ... 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  309
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2010
Latest post:  May 21, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 90 customers

Search Customer Discussions