Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1301-1325 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 21, 2012 7:34:05 PM PDT
Nanna says:
I just got my kindle for mothers day. I love and hate the one click. I already have 40 books on it and I crave more. My wonderful husband didn't even blink when I had to rush to town (our wifi was down) to find another wifi signal to buy books 2 & 3 of 50 shades @ 1 am in the morning. He has asked how many books I have bought. I may have understated the number. He doesn't mind he says my books gives me great ideas :). He knows not to even bother me when I have my hands on a new lora Leigh. Ladies and gents I'm new to all this so any freebie ideas would b great. It would really help to keep the calluses off my index finger from hitting that wonderful/horrible one click

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2012 7:50:29 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I have to agree, lol! He's a really great enabler...with my books,wine and now all of the dogs & puppies. He really took it well when I told him I was keeping all of the pups. =D

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:04:13 AM PDT
LJA says:
I converted a large walk in closet in my house into my own library and still books overflow it, now my kindle is getting as cluttered. Does anyone know how to organize ebooks to make the ones you want to find easier?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 7:30:24 AM PDT
CyMac says:
LJA,
Very cool, a walk-in closet for books! Do your eyes just glaze over, like those guys in that beer commercial? It was so long ago, but so funny - the husband had a walk-in closet/freezer, full of beer. They were cheering louder than the wife and her gfs cooing over her walk-in closet of shoes.

Collection capacity depends on what kind of Kindle you have. I believe only the Fire does not have Collections capacity. But, if it's an e-ink Kindle, you can create Collections either by author, content, genre, etc. There's a way you can create collections in the Kindle4PC app, and then import the collections to your Kindle. Or you can create the collections right on the Kindle.

Some folks use symbols in front of the Collection name and sort by Collections or Title. That way, the Collections are always on the first few pages of your Kindle. You can create fun collection names, like >Bad Moon Rising, for shifter stories, >The Whole Enchilada, if you have all the ebooks in a series, >Batter Up!, for what you plan on reading next - you get the idea.

Other posters say there is more than can be done to help organize the Kindle, and really hate that the Fire doesn't ANY organization. But, you work with what you have, you know, and the Collections do help instead of strolling through page after page to find what you're looking for. HTH :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_k2cont_sort?nodeId=200505560&#k2sort

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:24:23 AM PDT
TravelingGal says:
Just a cautionary tale - I loved the idea of collections; however, as I got more and more books on my Kindle (Keyboard), the collections feature became slower and slower. I no longer even try to sort that way or put books in them. Admittedly I have a ridiculous number of books on my Kindle so this may work better for LJA.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 9:42:25 AM PDT
CyMac says:
TravelingGal,
I definitely concur. When I initially got my KK, I was so enthralled with the idea of a device holding 3500 books that that was my goal. Past 1200 I had the constant problems freezing and rebooting and sloooow page turns. I ended up doing a factory reset, and now try (although it's hard!) to only keep less than 500 items on the device. Which, honestly, is still a ridiculous number, but it makes me happy to have a choice. :) So, even with about 30 different collections, if I manage to keep the number of books down on the device (and don't connect wirelessly, but that's a whole other issue!), I no longer experience the rebooting and freezing problems.

Posted on May 22, 2012 9:51:12 AM PDT
D. Stom says:
Dear Book Buying Confessional:

I have no idea how long it has been since my last confession. I applied for a job yesterday - the position advertised for is a part-time staffer at a bookstore. Instead of thinking about paying down my debt, I've been fantasizing about getting my hands on Advance Copies and having carte blanche access to thousands of books and getting an employee's discount. I think my only obstacle to getting this position is their requirement "tell us your three favorite books and why." Regardless, my fingers are crossed, because I would not only love to have this job, I need this job...

And I just heard that the author of Julie of the Wolves (rack), Jean Craighead George died. I'm not ashamed to say my heart clenched and I shed tears; books like hers were my only childhood solace.

My question (answer required for actual penance performed), Confessional, is quite simply this: how can anyone who truly loves books and reading *only* have three favorites? I have one adult all-time-favorite (Dune, 40th Anniversary Edition (Dune Chronicles, Book 1), but not this edition) and one child all-time-favorite (Lamont, The Lonely Monster with Lift-and-Look Surprises.), and then at least a hundred tied for slot #3 right behind those two.

Sincerely,

1-Click Crack Pipe Addict

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:29:47 AM PDT
CyMac says:
Dear Fellow 1-Click Crack Pipe Addict,

I hope you get the job. Not only because you need it, as you said, but because, wow, surrounded by books - what could be better? Unless it's books and cake....okay, I'm back now. :)

Short answer? Three is hard. You could look at it like Top 100 Lists, and just have the three at the top to tell others, but what if you have a Top 100 for every different genre you like? What if your favorite depends on the mood you're in? When I'm down, there's a certain band, a certain album I put on, the whole family knows what that means. :) Same as when I'm reading. There's so many favorites to reach for depending on what I'm feeling that if someone asked me what my favorite was, I'm afraid I'd just give them a pat answer, something quick just to answer them. Because my favorites all have top billing. I know exactly what lift they will provide, what smile they'll provoke, the tear that might trickle, the sigh I'll give when I reach the end yet again.

Now, I'm off to go digging around to see if I can locate my box which has Dune in it, because you just reminded me of another favorite.

Signing off,

An Acknowledged and Proud Amazon Crackhead :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 10:41:07 AM PDT
D. Stom says:
See, I knew everyone here would *get* it! I can't pick just one beyond those two!!! (and don't get me started on top 100 per genre - that would just end really badly)

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2012 2:06:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2012 4:07:40 PM PDT
KC says:
Fingers crossed on the job, D. Stom! I don't know that I can chose any books as favorites, even going by genre...Author's, yes, and I like some of theirs more than others but actual top favs??

Someone asked me one time, what is your all time fav movie; I can't do that one, but I can do genre's: Action: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Scifi: Star Wars A New Hope; Western: Stagecoach (John Ford/Wayne); Hitchcock: Rear Window and so on & so forth...but books??? Not a chance!

Actually, I'd bet they ask that question more to see if you really know anything about books and say more than the general or most recent big seller. Your Dune answer should have assured them of that one!

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:02:21 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I've always imagined myself retiring from daycare and working part time in a book store when I get older.....what could be better. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you D.Stom!!

As for picking a favorite 3.....no way,it couldn't be done.

Posted on May 22, 2012 4:25:46 PM PDT
E. Raye says:
Three all-time favorite books? I could maybe narrow it down to a dozen or so but a top three? Just about impossible.

I applied at a bookstore once but during the interview I told the hiring manager that I wouldn't push customers to buy their credit card and he pretty much told me I wouldn't get the job then. Lol. Guess that taught me not to tell the truth during job interviews! But otherwise, I would have loved to work there. The smell of books, all day at work? Lovely.

Posted on May 23, 2012 9:23:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2012 9:33:34 PM PDT
Agnes says:
I have a long list of favorites, and these favorites aren't really comparable because each has a certain element that makes it unique. So I can't pick a single favorite. Even narrowing things down to three is rough.

On another note,
I'm driving myself crazy. And this isn't so much a book buying confessional - okay, I may have purchased about 14 books this month (despite having about 200 unread ones in my collection *cough). What I find really awful is that I've been longing to start on a new book. In going through my books to find a new one to start (because I just finished reading another), I came across all of the books that I have been reading for months. I piled them up and counted them.........Right now, I'm at twelve. The good thing, I remember where I left off with these books, so won't need to start over. The negative(s): there are TWELVE (or, so far), some were even books that I was enjoying but haven't felt like picking up since, and I've been itching to start a new book for days now. And the one book I just recently finished? --a new book I started reading the other day.

In all honesty, I've been doing a lot better with my buying (haven't been purchasing as many books as usual and have been avoiding library sales - these kill me) and reading habits (have been working on knocking down my tbr pile). But this is not good.

I tell you, this is a sickness...

Edit: I just found 4 more books, so this bumps it to 16.

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:13:48 AM PDT
Just found Brenda Novak and she has some great books about a small Idaho town. I am reading the 6th one right now.
As to favorites.....it is like asking which of your children you love the most. I have a bookcase in 4 rooms in my house filled up and now about a billion on my Kindle. On top of needing to read all the new ones I have bought I go back and re-read my favorites. I finally just came to terms with dust and dirt. As long as the Health Dept will leave me alone and my husband gets his meals I am ok with just reading. Look at the back page always as I want a HEA. Too much angst in the news.

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:34:56 AM PDT
Noelle says:
I used to read more than one book at a time, I would get bord with one and start another. Now if I get bord with one I just add it to my dnf (did not finish) shelf at goodreads and put it in the bag for the ubs and then start another. That helps me from keeping EVERY book that I get. Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2012 7:40:49 PM PDT
kestergayle says:
Isn't that like asking which of your children is your favorite?

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 10:35:11 PM PDT
Noelle says:
My grandson was born this week! Healthy and beautiful. :)

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 9:36:25 AM PDT
E. Raye says:
Congrats, Noelle!

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 9:52:36 AM PDT
Noelle says:
Thanks. Emilie Raye ! His name is Memphis and he's so adorable.... and my rocking chair is getting plenty of use. Lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2012 10:15:29 AM PDT
CyMac says:
All the best, Noelle. Memphis? Love it! Keep on rockin' & readin', Nana. :)

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 12:10:54 PM PDT
E. Raye says:
Awesome name. I've known several couples who have recently had children and named them after cities or states. Is that the newest trend?
And rocking a baby is one of my favorite things, gotta enjoy those moments while they last.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 3:49:31 PM PDT
Tina says:
congrats Noelle.

My laptop crashed a few weeks ago as we were going to my daughters college graduation."crying". But it was so nice having my kindle hook up with their wi-fi during my 2 hour wait for it to start that I was able to still download books as I waited. (no, I do not have the wi-fi on my keyboard kindle that is standard now--hugely regret not paying the $50 for that feature)

I got an iPad to replace the computer and was disappointed to realize that the iPad does not support any of amazons apps. What is this world coming to! Can't they all just get along so us, the customers can be happy with our many addictions?!?

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 4:14:53 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Thanks CyMac,Emilie Raye and Tina!
I love his name. His daddy plays in a band and is one of those tripple threats,sings,plays guitar and the drums. His favorit is country music and that's one reason for picking Memphis as a name. =D

Sorry to hear about your computer/tablet problems Tina!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 7:54:44 AM PDT
Congratulations, Noelle.I hope there will be more grandchildren to spoil in your future.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 9:33:14 AM PDT
Noelle says:
Thanks Mat!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  198
Total posts:  5648
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  43 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions