Automotive Holiday Deals Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Reading suggestions for someone in a reading rut....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-163 of 163 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 12:51:55 PM PDT
Agnes says:
If those weren't so expensive, I'd have them already. I was actually going to buy Flight from the Eagle (because there was a cheap copy available) and left it in my cart overnight. The next morning, it was gone, and the price was back up in the 20s. Sigh. I should not have waited.

Posted on May 14, 2012 1:17:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 1:17:44 PM PDT
and I will 3rd Dinah Dean's Russian Trads....TPWNN recommended them to me a few years back and I loved them...her books are just hard to get your hands on for a decent price. My favorite was the Ice Prince

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 2:45:18 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Mary, do you consider Abebooks a safe site? I've never purchased anything from that site before.

Or does anyone else have any experiences purchasing books from this site?

Also, does anyone know of authors similar to Dinah Dean? I'm definitely going to get more books by her, but recommendations for similar reads are more than welcome.

Posted on May 14, 2012 2:52:56 PM PDT
Check out Ebay too Agnes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 3:35:00 PM PDT
Abebooks has been around forever (or at least 15 years) - very solid. There's also Betterworldbooks as well as Ebay.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 4:24:14 PM PDT
Shamoo says:
I didn't like any of her contemporary books, only the historical romances. My favorite was either Outlaw or Silver Flame. Wicked and PureSin are in my library as well.

Alot of people loved Lover Awakened in the JR Ward series. For me it was ok. I like the hot alpha male and Lover Eternal had that in spades, just like Immortal Highlander (KMM).

Posted on Jul 8, 2012 1:14:55 PM PDT
Agnes says:
It's been a while since I've posted on this discussion, but thanks everyone for all of your recommendations!

To the posters who recommended books by Ann Aguirre, I read Grimspace and really enjoyed it. If anyone likes sci-fi/action with romance (and doesn't mind a flawed heroine), this one comes recommended.

Happy reading!

Posted on Oct 29, 2012 1:42:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jan 20, 2013 12:11:05 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:22:02 PM PDT
Agnes says:
Bumps thread

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 5:28:42 PM PST
Agnes says:
So, it's been some months since my last update, but I recently tried Kristan Higgins' My One and Only and thought it was great. Thanks, JessaSlade!

I'm going to go ahead and break my resolution for this year (read 5 books before making another book purchase) because I got a few gift cards for Christmas - which always fuel my reading habits (of course). Those gift cards are just waiting to be used. How can I resist?

I'd like to get something as good as the aforementioned Kristan Higgins read. I veered away from contemporary romance, but this may have started something.

What I liked: the dialogue between the hero and heroine (especially the hero's manner of flirting), how clean the story was (not a requirement), and characterizations (Father Bruce, Kim, BeverLee, etc.)

What I didn't like: too many terms of endearment and the back story for the hero while he and heroine were apart (I thought this was slathered on to make her jealous)

Does anyone know of any authors whose books might be somewhat similar - and which are also devoid of cheating or secret children?
I've tried Jill Shalvis (not what I'm looking for), Sarah Mayberry (enjoyed several of her books), Robyn Carr (to me, her books are okay, but not great), and Julie James (not what I'm looking for)

After I'm done with these gift cards, I will (try) and fulfill this year's resolution.

Posted on Jan 12, 2013 12:14:41 PM PST
Agnes says:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 6:27:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 12, 2013 6:30:21 PM PST
Jules says:
Hi, Agnes!
I am reading "The Winter Sea" by Susanna Kearsley. It is pretty good, so far. It's a story of a writer of historical fiction who gets a little too involved in her own novel. I would recommend it if you have not read it before. The two possible men are not married or otherwise taken, since I know how you feel about that :) The writing is good, no silly mistakes, and I like the heroine. I hope I can help but have not been reading much romance, lately.

Good luck in the book search and Happy New Year!

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 5:01:40 PM PST
Agnes says:
Thanks, Jules! Ditto for a happy new year!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Read fresh new romance stories - and tell the writers which parts you love!
19 Sep 17, 2015
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
145 21 days ago
What Is the Funniest Romance Novel You've Ever Read? 49 41 seconds ago
Biker Romance Part 2 5686 2 minutes ago
World of Romance. . . Rants & Raves. . . Thread #4 8340 5 minutes ago
Have you judged a book by its cover? 1365 7 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 7138 18 minutes ago
wanted: kindle romance bargains ($3.99 or less) by established authors that are good (no self-promos or ya/na) 1773 26 minutes ago
Biker Books Lending 1183 43 minutes ago
H puts OW before h 42 43 minutes ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 1140 1 hour ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 850 1 hour ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  163
Initial post:  Feb 13, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 13, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions