Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hilarious mistakes in (mostly self-published) books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2001-2025 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:31:50 PM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
Kind of like an obituary for common sense?
And did you see those comments? Really, folks, where ARE your manners

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 7:40:42 PM PDT
Lisa in OK says:
Whoops, didn't take time to read the comments. Oh well. I guess the comments serve as a reminder of how *not* to act, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 8:52:59 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
re: saw a death notice in the paper for John D. Green.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Not _our_ John!
;) I know it's not really ours. Ours is alive and active on the boards.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 9:02:23 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
And OH MY GAWD - have y'all *SEEN* that Sauza Fireman ad????

Sheesh, I'm having too many hot flashes. Maybe he can help with that?
http://youtu.be/z0hq4bBnYIM
and this is just cute!
http://youtu.be/01in0fzRwpc

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 10:42:50 PM PDT
Marissa G says:
Ran across a line in a recipe's directions in a recent flight magazine:
"Cook over medium-high heat until international temperature reaches 140F..."

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 11:56:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 11:57:04 PM PDT
Hi, all. I've been lurking for a while and really enjoying this thread because poor grammar and spelling irritate me. Several times I have given up on a fairly well-written book, because the errors took me out of the story. Some recent goofs I've seen in Kindle books (mostly romances) include changing the names of characters (even on the same page); forgetting how old your characters are or what they have done (one heroine was pregnant then the story jumped forward a year with no baby or mention of what happened). It's like some authors need a continuity person like they have in the movies. The worse offenses to me though, are misspelled words such as aquatainted (for acquainted) and more often, misused words, such as toe-headed little boys; hangar (for hanger); shear for sheer; roll for role; and one woman's lover actually massaged the souls of her feet. I really laughed about that one!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 3:29:24 AM PDT
sista A says:
From an amazon product description:

PG-13. No sex, some mild language

If there is only some mild language in it, does it mean the rest of the time the characters keep cussing and swearing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:25:15 AM PDT
tealadytoo says:
Well, gee. Everybody knows international temperatures should be given in Celcius. :=)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 6:29:46 AM PDT
Rena Ruadh says:
Lalo, I love the flying grease ducks! That's absolutely hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:09:15 AM PDT
Jules says:
Oh My! Everything IS better with a kitten! Thanks for the links, makes me want some tequila...

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:29:42 AM PDT
Lisa in OK says:
>until international temperature reaches 140F<

I think it reached that in OK yesterday. I certainly was hot, and not in a good way . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 8:48:34 AM PDT
Lalo says:
Lisa, I just got an email from a friend who said that same thing about OK.

I'm in Louisiana... and yes... it's hot as blue blazes here too, and we have humidity. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 9:18:17 AM PDT
Rick H. Veal says:
I'm in the upstate of South Carolina and it's beautiful here today! It rained during the night and today is low humidity, about 75 with a light breeze blowing. I even have the air turned off and the windows raised! Gotta love it! Rick

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 9:43:46 AM PDT
Lalo says:
Rick, Dang you!!! LOL

Enjoy it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 11:45:52 AM PDT
Rick H. Veal says:
Yeah, but starting Thursday and for the next week it's supposed to be in the high 90's to low 100's with 80 to 90% humidity -- so it's all relative (pardon my pun)! Rick

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:02:45 PM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
We're hitting the 90s and it looks like the humidity might get all the way up to 40%--just awful

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:02:49 PM PDT
@ SISTA:

I'd take my cues from the cheese ppl. So all the rest of the language must be:

(Hunters-X, Very-Sharp, Sharp, Medium, and what you found ) :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 12:19:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 7:36:49 PM PDT
@ ALL: recently heard from a piano man doing mashup through the decades.
(COuld be temps also )

yadda-yadda (50's song), Bee bop rock (60's song), an old rock tune (70's song), "and we'll just skip the 80's, because nothing good came from that time, anyway !! "

What ???

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 1:48:20 PM PDT
sista A says:
@Leroy
*smacks forehead* Oh! They were talking about cheese! It's a Gouda book! I never realized!

@everybody else: This tail end of June seems like a rather mild April (vacillating between 64 and 75 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, depending on whether it has rained in the last 15 minutes or not), so any spare degrees (Celsius or Fahrenheit -- I'd prefer Celsius because, you know, more BOOM) (and if you could spare some sunshine *prettyplease*) you can send to Germany are more than welcome and appreciated. No humidity, though, because where I live, we have plenty of that. Thank you.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 3:31:17 PM PDT
Jules says:
Sorry Sista A, now extra degrees where I'm at, either! More like April than June? Yes, here in North California it's the same, today is beautiful, 65 F., but has been light rain all weekend. I would love a few more degrees, also, please.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 3:31:28 PM PDT
booknuts says:
@curmudgeon--we are in the upper 90's to low 100's with 70% humidity and heat index of 105-115! gotta love kansas in the spring and summer!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2012 3:55:34 PM PDT
Curmudgeon says:
Nope, gotta stay away! I was near St Louis earlier this month, grateful it was unusually cool and dry. Most years I'm in the area I feel like I'm melting from the inside out

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:23:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 26, 2012 7:24:47 PM PDT
@ALL:

Closing remarks on weather:

--- 1) You can always quote your temp in KELVIN degrees, aka Calvin degrees for U liberal arts majors. The numbers are much larger that way.
--- 2) Don't forget to add in an extra 6 degrees of Separatists.
--- 3) I challenge you all to look up and post the formulas for calculating the "effective heat/cool indices" .
--- 4) While i am being snippy; What's the diff between wet-bulb humidity and dry-bulb humidity measurements ?
--- 5) If you are in one of the many iso-bars that meteorologists frequent, don't comment on the waitress's short-shorts.

--- *) I'm testy now. I think i need to go to the gun range, or go fry up some Kevin Bacon :-)

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 5:21:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 5:21:56 PM PDT
D. Stom says:
Fun with spelling & grammar:

http://www.gocomics.com/nonsequitur/2012/06/27/

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 6:14:48 PM PDT
A says:
It was 115 actual air temp in the shade here today. Not sure what the heat index was with the humidity. Add to that the lack of rain for over two weeks, none in the forecast and the wind blowing out of the south like an industrial strength hair dryer and it's miserable here.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  400
Total posts:  7888
Initial post:  Feb 27, 2012
Latest post:  14 minutes ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 43 customers

Search Customer Discussions