Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2101-2125 of 6306 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 7:38:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 10:00:21 PM PDT
>Allie get hit by car waiting for H who blew him off for OW1
OW1 dies before child if born
H leaves for a year
child #1 dies<

This is the worse part. His child is hit by a car and he decides then is a good time to leave for a year for his wife to have time to forgive him. Yeah leaving your spouse when your child is injured/dies and needs you the most is the perfect time to leave town for a year and the time line makes it look like he left while his child was still in the hospital in critical condition - what the heck kind of parent or human is that?

Heroine isn't exactly the sharpest pencil in the box either . While he's involved with OW#2 she decides she wants him to give her another child? WHY? Oh I forgot, children are interchangeable - lose one make another and you're all good to go. Even better if you can later find one that looks just like him like the hero does.

>>OW2 returns to her racist family, including her cousin who she "loves" a little bit too much (can you say yuck?) who killed adopted boys father, others and was committed <<

This is just the height of ridiculous. Forget romance, this isn't even a decent family saga or soap opera, it's a bad episode of Jerry Springer.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:17:24 PM PDT
No Name:
Re: The Broken Series by Dar Tomlinson

I am not sure how to classify the books either. The first book could almost be classified as Chick Lit, no HEA but it appeared the h overcame adversity and worked through a very painful time (caused by the H, his callousness, his lack of care/concern) but if you look at the two books together it no longer fits. The H doesn't suffer repurcussions for his actions, the h becomes a doormat taking him back without even an assurance that it won't happen again... It just wasn't good.

It is obviously not romance, unless you look at the H/OW1 and H/OW2 pairings. There is no real romance between H/h.

And some of what the H says
"But this is it, Luke. God meant Victoria and me to be together. It's just a question of time."

Zaccheus, I'm not sure you operate with your sharpest knife." Zac looked puzzled. "She has three kids." "Right. And that puts me two ahead of where I was before Allie died, but Victoria and I call them children. As soon as we have our own, life will be perfect." He punctuated

Tomlinson, Dar (2012-03-12). Slightly Imperfect - A Novel (Kindle Locations 2231-2233). Books To Believe In. Kindle Edition.

Are children now interchangable prizes are part of some competition? This passage really sums up the H's feelings about his wife and children.

One of the worst parts for me is when the H is saying he really loved OW1, but he loved h as well. Obviously, he didn't love h enough.

And later, talking to his father we get this gem
:You taught me to take responsibility. Let me take it."

Tomlinson, Dar (2012-03-12). Slightly Imperfect - A Novel (Kindle Locations 2647-2648). Books To Believe In. Kindle Edition.

What about his responsibility to his wife and kid? His father? Where was/is this sense of responsibility when he wants to bump uglies with someone (who is not his wife).

And then after he started sleeping wife h again, he was still trying to get back with OW2

At the end of the first book, knowing there was a sequel, I really felt the H would spend the year on the freighter in introspection, getting his head on straight. He didn't, however, and that left me very disappointed in the series. At the end of the first one, I thought the two books together could have been quite good.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 9:37:33 PM PDT
Reader says:
So, after he cheats on her one time, h takes him back, then he cheats on her again and the h takes him back again and all the while he is leaving a trail of kids behind? Ugh, forget the skillet, can we nurture him?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 9:49:38 PM PDT
Not exactly, he cheat on her she throws him out
He comes back she says no, but he is already pursuing OW2 so doesn't even try to mend the relationship with h
OW 2 becomes "distant" and starts distancing herself from him
h takes him back
H tries to get back with OW2 while with h
OW2 doesn't really want him, but he "loves" her
H now "loves" h, just less than OW1 and OW2. And he loves his daughter, but loves her less than OW2's biological children (twins) and OW2's adopted child
H adopts OW2 adopted child and bam!
HEA
There isn't a heavy enough skillet in the world.

I agree, he should be neutered.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:27:21 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
cub in austin, have you slept yet? I love your HEA, I really needed one, I think I was with you every painful word that you read I was there, WTFing along with you.

I think the H went back to the h because OW1 died and OW2 left him for someone else, so he had no one left, oh yeah that's right he had the h. Now I really liked her in the begining because she seemed strong and kicked him out and divorced him, I have no idea, I think she must have taken some stupid pills to go back to him. He wasn't only with the h, he was still with OW2 and telling OW2 that he loved her, whilst still sleeping with the h. Where is the h's pride she is soooooo much better than him.

I think he has a fixation for white rich women who sleep around or who are incestuous/crazy. It was his fault that his son died, he even wiped his own father when he had a heart attack for OW1.

I think he needs to be in a facility for seriously contagious sexual diseases which is not covered by medicare (our medical insurance) and he has to spend all the money he has left (after paying off h in a divorce settlement) for his medical expenses. OH yeah when all of his money is gone and his disease is still contagious they kick him to the curb cause he can't pay, he's got no more money. He can't go to the h she's remarried, he goes to his father who says sorry son I have this new girlfriend who I have to put first you understand how it is you'll just have to live on the street, son that's what they call KARMA. Oh son whilst your on the street why don't you visit your son's grave, you've never been before and you have plenty of time now. Sorry but I have to go all the family are going over to your ex's for a big party, she never turned her back on us after all you did to her and the children, we all love her, she was there for me when I had my heart attack. Goodbye son, hope the door hits you in the a$$ on the way out.

Oh I forgot whilst he is on the street the cousin the crazy OW2 is in love with finds out about him and is looking for him.

That makes me feel better I like my revenge.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:40:10 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
I could be wrong but I think I read somewhere that the author won a prize for the first book and it took him 12years to publish the second. I really hope I'm wrong, if I'm not I wonder what the award was for?????

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 5:56:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 6:03:00 AM PDT
Wait, wait, wait. Are you telling me that the h, who in book 1 was strong and refused to take him back, took the a55hole back in book 2? No, no! I was really getting interested in this but I don't know if I can stand it if that's how it ends up. Darn it!

ETA - Club in Austin

So he adopts OW's child at the end. Does that mean he leaves the h yet again? *banging head repeatedly against desk*

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:17:35 AM PDT
Lillian Rose,

Re: Broken Series:

You are right. The first novel won the Hemingway First Novel Award. I liked the first one because I was picturing the H growing up and becoming a better person because of the problems he caused. Then I read the second book, which did take 12 years and all the hopes I built up reading the first were dashed.

As bad as he treated the h, I really felt his kids got a raw deal. I do not have kids, but if I did I simply cannot imagine giving another person's children more attention than my own.

Nana Janet Lopez,

Yes, the h took the H back in book two.

This little exchange happened at most a week or two after he professed his love the OW2
"I'm so in love with you, Maggie." The knowledge overwhelmed him, left him frantic to have her know, to believe. He had waited for her reply, then interjected into the silence. "Do you love me?" He craved hearing her say it.

"I love you. I've never stopped. Not for one moment. It doesn't stop the fear though, just as it doesn't change the things people are capable of doing in the name of love."

"I'll make it up to you, querida."

Tomlinson, Dar (2012-03-12). Slightly Imperfect - A Novel (Kindle Locations 4842-4845). Books To Believe In. Kindle Edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 7:56:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 8:07:32 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
cub in austin, if he's saying that two weeks after saying how much he loved the OW2(OW2 left him because she didn't love him anymore) I'm sorry but I don't believe a word he says. He's only saying that because everyone else has left him. If the OW2 had returned his love, he would have married her and ditched the h again. It's only that he has no one else that he is with the h. He never chose the h over OW1 he chose OW1 over his sons life, his fathers heart attack, and the h. He chose OW2 over h, he was sleeping with OW2 as well as h and telling OW2 he loved her, and wanted to marry her not the h. He would still have been with OW1/sl*t if she didn't die. He would have married OW2/crazy if she didn't go back to her cousin/lover. I feel sorry for the h but I think she is just TSTL being with the H at all, the one I feel sorry for is his daughter he has shown his love for this other boy more and often over her. This guy is just soooo twisted.

Edited to add - I couldn't like the first book because it ends with the H leaving his son seriously ill in hospital when he needed to be there for him, he wasn't there for him and that's what put him in the hospital in the first place. He's thinking if he goes away that the h will miss him and take him back, but hello he has a seriously ill son he put in hospital and he just walks off - the H was dead to me at that point, I can't honestly think whatever he did would ever, ever make up for that. If he goes to plan his daughter will be physically and emotionally abandoned just like he did to his son, what will he do then, find another woman with a child that looks just like his daughter. It seems like he loves the woman he's with to the exclusion of all others (except for the h) The OW1 he totally wiped everyone, OW2 he wiped h and his child again. Oh he just makes me so angry.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 12:31:47 PM PDT
I could understand him leaving at the end of the first book. I saw him as needing time to come to terms with his actions and straighten out his priorities. His child was in a coma, and there was nothing he could do for him (although I do not think I could leave a child of mine in the hospital). At the end of the first book, I was considering his year away on the freighter sort of like an addict going into rehab. By committing himself to the boat for a year, he would be away from temptation to start another LTR further hurting his wife (this was blown out of the water by OW2). It would also provide his wife with time to heal.

Additionally, there were issues with money. His family was poor, he was poor. Between his father's medical expenses, and the expenses from his son there was a need for a steady source of good income. It wasn't until after he got back that he inherited all of OW1's money... which promptly provided him a route to his relationship with OW2.

I wonder if h only remarried H to get the adopted kid who looked so much like their son. I know that grief can have long lasting and little understood effects on a persons decision making process. If in some deep dark recess of her mind she saw the kid as being her son who died (even if she was not consciously aware of it) then she may have seen marrying H again as a way to "bring back" the son. Let's face it, a grieving parent will do anything to bring back a lost child, even live with a lifetime of STD treatments.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 1:09:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 1:13:20 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I have a bit of a different take on Zac and Maggie his ex-wife. First the time period is the seventies so the world between Anglo and Hispanic was not as homogeneous as it is today.

I think Maggie took Zac back not because she was so in love with him but because A) she wanted another baby to replace Allie and B) she wanted the boy OW2 had because of Allie.

Zac's problem is that he needs to be in a relationship where he feels dominant. With Maggie she is a stronger person than he is and the dependence in the relationship is his for her. In every other relationship with women he has, even the rich white ones that should technically be "out of his league", he is the caretaker. This also explains why he keeps hooking up with the crazy ones. They are the only ones who would have him.

ETA - I have a few more things but now my boss actually wants me to work so I will post more later LOL :P

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:23:39 PM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
boogenhagen, I've been awaiting your thoughts, you tend to be more in depth and grey, I'm more what I see is what it is, also more black/white, I keep trying to see a different side/change my thought prospective to a kinder gentler heart, but I normally react out of hurt anger such is my thought process. I'm of the belief that you show your love by what you do. I can't wait, dang doesn't your boss know that you should be paid for reading not working. I'm sure it's a law somewhere.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 6:12:13 PM PDT
Melissa C. says:
Darn those pesky jobs. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 7:09:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2012 7:09:50 PM PDT
boogenhagen says:
I wish my boss knew about that law, really thanks for the thought Lillian.

More thoughts on Zac and Broken/Slightly Imperfect - A Novel (Zac).

There are spoilers in here so be warned*********************

At the end of Broken Zac says he is leaving for a year and maybe Maggie will take him back because she will find that she needs him. A lot of what Zac does is motivated because he is a Hispanic male raised with that cultural bias toward Machissmo and the idea that man is the provider yet the society he lives in outside his family is not geared that way. In the world at large Zac is looked down upon and in his own family, he is told in no uncertain terms that he is not meeting the standards they expect of him.

A lot of what happens, the fishing boat burning, his dad having a stroke when it happens and his son being injured and later dying are direct results of his actions or inactions and Zac knows he is screwing up but he wants other things than what he thinks he should and Carron having money and basically buying him plus the fact that she is ill and him having to be her main source of care really puts him in a quandary.

Zac knows he shouldn't be involved with these women, he knows that Victoria, the women he meets in SI, is not the best match for him but here again Victoria needs him and he subconsciously loves the idea that a white woman would want him. When Victoria says she loves him and by establishing a relationship with Marcus (the adopted son), Zac is validating himself as a worthy man. He can get a white woman, the snubs and social putdowns because he is Hispanic don't really matter that much. When Carron leaves him money his status is even more enhanced and Zac really likes that.

In a lot of ways Zac really exemplifies the whole "Me generation" of the seventies. His world is changing and all he can really focus on is how to get himself into a better worldly position. This doesn't mean is uncaring, Zac is not a dog and really not a bad person. Misguided, deluded by status and confused about his values are all Zac's problems but he really does love these people, I believe in his sincerity.

Ironically, it is Maggie that grows the most during these books and it is Maggie's (the ex-wife) successes as a person that really show how stagnated Zac is. Maggie encourages the relationship with Marcus, she is the one who is worried about Marcus not having the cultural influence from his Hispanic parentage she thinks he needs. Yes Maggie does sleep with Zac again, specifically for the purposes of getting pregnant. At the end of SI they are together but I am not sure she is going to marry him. I think sleeping with Zac was expedience for Maggie. She has the same cultural background that Zac has and for her to start sleeping around would be detrimental to her familial relations plus she also has to think about her daughter and the effect future relationships would have on her.

Maggie demonstrates that she is more than capable of single motherhood, but she doesn't want to be know as the town slut and she wants another child or two. (I have to say I was really shocked when she kicked Zac out in Broken -- for a woman with her heritage and culture, that was practically unheard of in that time period. Generally it was put up and shut up if your husband was cheating back then) It makes sense for Maggie to use Zac to father her next child. The emphasis wasn't for hands on dad parenting, child care was usually the mum's province and for Zac to be the father meant that the families would be more than willing to accept her next child and she can still pursue her other goals. Plus she still loves Zac, she sees him how he really is and doesn't delude herself that she is everything he wants but she understands where he is at emotionally and she understands his frustration at not being able to achieve what he wants.

Maggie is really the wise, growing one through all of this. She is the one who figures out where she is heading and the one who is willing to work towards her goals patiently. Maggie is becoming the yardstick against which Zac has to measure his personal growth. Zac doesn't realize this and Zac really doesn't grow a whole lot but my hope is that Zac has some gestaults in the next installment and really starts to put the lessons he has learned so far to good use in personal and parental growth.

SI was kinda a disappointment to me, I wanted Zac to grow more and in a lot of ways it seemed a rehash of Broken. Maybe cause there was 12 years between Broken and SI, DT felt she had to retread ground and the next one will be more Zac growth oriented.

All in all though I really felt sorry for Zac, he had some really good things and threw them away for things that seemed better but weren't. I think I said when I first posted that these weren't romances, but they do give some interesting insight as to why a person would throw away a good life for an affair and why they keep making really stupid choices.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2012 11:58:54 PM PDT
Boogenhagen:

Re: Broken / Slightly Imperfect by Dar Tomlinson

I have to agree with you on several points.

First, I think cultural influences played a major role in the actions of both the H and the h. I can definitely see the H's need to be "needed" as a major motivator for his actions. I also see him as the quintessential "me" child. I think it is actually addressed in the book that the H's family has always just given him what he wants (within their means) and that he has never had to actually struggle for anything.

I also see Maggie as being strongly influenced by culture. I actually do not think that the cheating is what made her kick him out, but the fact that he simply wouldn't touch her anymore. She knew he was cheating, but it wasn't until he continually rebuffed her that she threw down the ultimatum. I think if he had continued sleeping with her, she would have put up with the OW (although the OW was dead set on separating them).

As I said above, I really think she finally decided to take him back not out of love but for cultural and financial reasons. The adopted son was the final plus in the "should I take a lying, cheating, selfish bast**d back" pro/con list.

I also have to agree with your assessment that she grew, largely out of necessity, but the H just stagnated. I foresee repeated future infidelities in their relationship.

Overall, I was very disappointed in the second book. When I finished the first one, I envisioned Zac growing up and taking responsibility for his life and his actions. I do not feel he ever did. Throughout these books, he never truly accepted responsibility for what he did. In the end, he is the one who cheated, he is the one who chose OW1 over his wife and son, he chose to remain with OW1 when he should have been with his son (leading to the accident and eventual death), and then turned around and chose OW2 rather than actually pursuing reconciliation with his wife and daughter.

This was a man who desperately needed to get his priorities straight. This was a man who needed to grow the f*** up.

I do not recall if age was mentioned in the book, but maybe immaturity from youth was a major factor as well. It is not uncommon in some cultures to marry and have children very young, especially if college is not pursued, so they could have been mid-twenties easily. As a guy, I really don't think I matured until 27/28ish - looking back I can see some very selfish, immature behavior in my actions prior to that point.

I was just really expecting more from the second book. Maybe the time frame (12 years) is a big factor, but I just didn't feel it was a suitable continuation of the story.

On the plus side, both novels are actually well-written. The grammatical/punctuation/typography errors are minimal and unintrusive, and the editing seems to be reasonably good. I would at least consider purchasing future books from this author, though it is not on my immediately buy every book that comes out by this person list.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 8:12:23 AM PDT
Lillian Rose says:
cub, I think it's wonderful that we have a guy reading and spoilering with us. It will be great to get your opinion. I enjoyed your thoughts on Broken and Irredeemably Imperfect. I am extremly impatient and you went beyond all and gave me spoils whilst you were still reading, so I thank you so much and I really enjoyed it. Is there another book in the works? Now you know I will be asking you to spoil future books, I am so very demanding like that.

Posted on Jun 11, 2012 11:14:16 AM PDT
B. Lim says:
Slightly Imperfect - A Novel (Zac Book 2) is free if anybody want .

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 11:57:54 AM PDT
Lillian,

Given the time between the first and second books, I really doubt there will be a third (or that we will remember to look for a third when it comes out in a decade).

There are some authors I follow closely, either because I am a big fan of there work or I depserately want to see how the story ends. For these ones, I have the author's blog and/or goodreads page saved in a bookmarks folder and once a week (Sunday morning) I do an open all in tabs to find out what is new and what is coming soon. I can't see myself following Dar Tomlinson. Although I think the author is talented and has the potential to write good to better-than-good books, her work just didn't "capture" me... especially the second novel ... 'cause I really did not like Zac.

This author only appears to have 6 or so book published, and does not have a webpage anymore so I would not count on a third book where Zac gets hit on the head, has a come to jesus moment, admits his douchebaggery and spends the rest of his life trying to be a better person.

In writing the last paragraph it made me realize that that is one more thing the Zac character is missing. Most people (fictional or not), when they wrong someone they try to become a better person both for that person and for the other people in their life. Zac never tries to be a better person, not for his family, not for his kids...

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 9:49:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 13, 2012 9:49:41 AM PDT
RomReader says:
Adding to contemp list:
Killer Heat by Brenda Novak -- discussed in another thread but not on this List for some reason.
-- H cheats with h's best friend who got pregnant from their drunken 1-night stand & had baby adopted. Book starts 10 years later when H & h see each other again due to a murder investigation. h still in touch with best friend. best friend still in love with H. Angtsy.

The Sheikh's Bidding (The Bridal Bid) by Kristi Gold -- H cheats with h who doesn't know he's engaged for a MOC.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 10:49:35 AM PDT
RomReader in Killer Heat..H cheats with the BFF and the h stays in contact with her? Why?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 11:35:13 AM PDT
RomReader says:
lovestoread522 --re: Killer Heat by Brenda Novak

h already lost H & didn't want to lose her BFF also. From BFF's initial confession (she tells her the truth 10 yrs later), she & H were both drunk & attributed their 1-night stand to alcohol. h forgave her for that esp since BFF found out she got pregnant.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 1:44:03 PM PDT
Yo says:
Re: Killer Heat by Brenda Novak
This book set my teeth on edge. The mystery was ok but I thought the h was TSTL (in big letters).
Spoiler*********The bff and h were friends from kindergarten. The h was vibrant and outgoing and the bf was quiet and average. The H and h had a fight over something and the bf finds out from h and decides to find H and offer comfort. She was jealous of their great love affair because she had a crush on H. He was the h's boyfriend, and not a group friendship, but the bf kept inserting herself into his life. So the bf had no reason, except that she was up to no good, to go to that bar looking for him. She set him up and wanted to be pregnant so he would marry her. Surprise, he refused and the baby is adopted. I kept waiting for the h to go off on the friend but no she stands by her and is still bff's through the bf's marriage to a doctor and godmother to her kids. I was WTF? When the H returns the bf is still infatuated and starts to insert again. That b**** uses the adopted daughter as an excuse that the H should be in contact with her. The H and h both see this. Why did the h continue to be friends with this woman? The H and h only get another chance because the married/mother bf says she will step aside. The book was OK, but h was to stupid to believe. The H on the other hand was firm in his nonfeelings for the bf and never led her on.

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 2:20:40 PM PDT
Dear Yo,
With BFF's like that, who needs enemies. So the BFF gives up her daughter for adoption when the H does not marry her. Obviously child was only concieved to trap the H. Good for him for not marrying her. I don't care how drunk my BFF is if she ever bumps uglies with my man she's out like trout.

So once the BFF steps aside..then the H and h get their HEA? Yo, your right TSTL. I think I will pass. Just the part were she remains friend with the OW is too much for me to take.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 3:19:24 PM PDT
Vanessa says:
RomReader - Actually Killer Heat is on The List on GR. :)

Posted on Jun 13, 2012 3:21:55 PM PDT
RomReader says:
Yo & lovestoread--re: Killer Heat

BFF didn't intend to get pregnant. They used a condom. Also, BFF didn't know that H was keeping in touch with their daughter's adoptive parents & financially supporting her. BFF didn't keep contact with either one. She'd move on to her new family, although she admittedly would've left them if H gave her a chance.

h was given faulty info by BFF about the 1-night stand & she had no clue BFF had the hots for H. So I don't consider her forgiving BFF a TSTL moment. When she did find out the truth about BFF, she kicked her out ASAP.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  247
Total posts:  6306
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2010
Latest post:  13 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 84 customers

Search Customer Discussions