Customer Discussions > Romance forum

2012 Favorite Book of the Month & Year Challenge

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 308 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 2, 2012 2:27:48 PM PST
McKaren says:
I did this challenge in 2011 at Paperback swap under Hidden Gems Forum-since most of the posters weren't romance fans I thought it would be fun to do this here. You can read any genre-I just suspect more of ours will be romance ones since this is a romance forum. It is a challenge to pick just one book some months and in other months to even pick a book!

the challenge:
Post here and share your favorite book of the month during 2012 and/or your favorite read from 2012. The book can be from any genre or any year. No requirements and no limits. Just come in and share your love for great books!

Conversation about the books mentioned are welcome here, also.

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 2:30:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 6:26:35 PM PST
McKaren says:
This will be my list-I will come back at the end of each month and update my post and hope each of you do the same!

January-this was not a a great month for reading for me. My favorite this month was : Wife for a Week by Kelly Hunter. It was a light read, fun humor, no cheating contemporary read

February-I had picked Marie Force's Treading Wanter Trilogy but in hindsight I am going to pick On the Island by Tracy Garvis Graves because I have thought of that book more often since I read it.

March-I finished Marie Force Treading Water Trilogy and thought it got better with each book! I was in the mood for some really light reading so my favorite this month was Ride with Me: A Loveswept Contemporary Romance by Ruthie Knox. It was my favorite because it was about bike riding and my dh is an avid biker!

April- I was going to pick The Hunger Games because I saw the movie, then read the book and actually enjoyed the book which usually doesn't happen after I have seen the movie! and a close second was Death Angel: A Novel by Linda Howard however on April 30th I read Kristan Higgins new book Somebody to Love and it was a great romantic comedy and just may be my book of the year! I l loved how it revisited Malone from Catch of the day and Parker, Ethan, Lucy and Nicky from The Next Best Thing. This was her best book yet!

May -My best read this month was actually a free novelette by Jean Haus Sleeping Handsome
if I had to choose a full length novel I would choose Judy Teel series-Seducing an Heiress and Instructing an Heiress. they were fun mindless reads. Once again, not a great reading month.

June- my favorite book this month is Anna Jeffrey's The Love of a Cowboy

July-another Ruthie Knox book is my winner this month: About Last Night-some close runner ups-Gracier by Milissa Bailey and Sep's The Great Escape (not my favorite sep but still entertaining)

August-When Lightning Strikes (Whiskey Creek) by Brenda Novak barely beat out Easy by Tammara Webber!

September-The Gamble by Kristen Ashley

October - Foolish Games (Foolish Games Series) by Leah Spiegel

November- The Road to Eden's Ridge by M.L. Rose

December-A Cold Creek Noel (The Cowboys of Cold Creek)by Rae Anne Thayne

**Book of the Year: On The Island by Tracey Graves

Posted on Jan 2, 2012 3:05:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 7:49:34 AM PST
kari says:
This sounds like an interesting challenge, I'm in!

January - this is a tough one as there was a very close tie...Heart of Steel (Iron Seas) by Meljean Brook was my best read this month, but it's almost neck and neck with Fate's Edge by Ilona Andrews.

February - another difficult decision this month...Lord of the Abyss (Harlequin Nocturne) by Nalini Singh just slightly won over Wolf Tracker by Maddy Barone.

March - Fair Game by Patricia Briggs with Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison as a very close second.

April - Bear Meets Girl by Shelly Laurenston was my favorite this month, followed very closely by The Witness by Nora Roberts.

May - Lethal Rider (Lords of Deliverance) by Larissa Ione was the clear winner this month.

June - Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling) by Nalini Singh

July - Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World) by Jeaniene Frost with The Golden Lily by Richelle Mead as a close second.

August - Gunmetal Magic: A Novel in the World of Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews with Once Burned by Jeaniene Frost as the runner up.

September - Riveted by Meljean Brook with How to Drive a Dragon Crazy by GA Aiken as the follower up.

October - Kingmakers, The (Vampire Empire Book 3) by Clay and Susan Griffiths

November - How to Raise an Honest Rabbit (Knitting Series) by Amy Lane

December - Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews

Book of the year 2012: Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 10:30:20 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 11:11:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 6, 2012 9:02:39 AM PDT
Ender says:
Count me in!

January
Kiss and Tell by Cherry Adair. Not usually a fan of romantic suspense, but this book was fantastic. Dialogue was witty. Chemistry between H/h was beautiful. Plus who doesn't love a bad boy spy?

February
Playing For Keeps: A Neighbor From Hell Novel by R.L. Mathewson. Okay it's not perfect... typos... overused phrases... unbelievable character traits. BUT I DON'T CARE! I've absolutely fallen head over heels in love with this book and R.L. Mathewson. The book was sweet, hilarious, and just absolutely fantastic. There are not enough hours in the day to say how much I loved this story. But I will say, I've read this book three times during February and that's just not enough.

March
This has been a horrible month. But I did manage to find one good book. The Closer You Get by L.A. Witt (M/M romance). Basically, our out-and-proud H is showing our newly out H the ropes to dating. Based on the product description I wasn't expecting much. But it truly was a sweet romance. Sorry I waited so long to pick up.

April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 11:23:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 8:58:33 AM PST
OK, I'm in.

January: I had a really good reading month. My favorite book was The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's YA, but was amazing. However, as honorable mentions, I have to throw out Kristen Ashley as a new author -- I read a bunch of her books & enjoyed the heck out of them, and The Tairen Soul series, which I devoured in December & January.

February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 11:48:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2012 10:16:55 AM PST
Ikie says:
I'm in, sounds like fun.

January - Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 3:02:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 12:49:35 PM PDT
CyMac says:
Me too, me too!

January: Safeword Rainbow by Candace Blevins. Just like Willing Victim, which I discovered in 12/2011, this book just worked for me. Read it on the 1st, have read it a couple of times since. What can I say, just loved it.

February The Immortal Prince (Tide Lords), The Gods of Amyrantha (The Tide Lords), The Palace of Impossible Dreams (Tide Lords Quartet), The Chaos Crystal (The Tide Lords), otherwise known as the Tide Lords Quartet. I was surprised by a couple of things this month; how hard it was to choose a favorite and how much I liked this series. :) I read some really satisfying stories this month, you know, where you just sigh and stretch like a cat after a great nap? My very, very close runner up was The Pet Shop, but I had to give the nod to Fallon's series because it reminded me of one of the greats, Roger Zelazny. I felt like the author had read the Amber series as a kid (just like me!) and this was her interpretation of Immortals. It was a nice trip down memory lane, and a reminder that summer's 'round the corner; almost time for the annual re-read of The Great Book of Amber: The Complete Amber Chronicles, 1-10 (Chronicles of Amber). But, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year, K.D. Grace's book turns out to be my favorite BOTY. :)

March Three books in the running this month, but the nod goes to Liberating Lacey. OW/YM stories don't typically tweak my interest, but this was well-done.

April FERAL SINS (The Phoenix Pack) Of all the stories I read this month, this one made me laugh and not do a thing until it was finished. So fun and sassy!

May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 3:08:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 8:58:18 AM PDT
LaurieM04 says:
I'll give it a try! I suspect it's going to be hard to pick just one book a month, though. I may have to create an "Honorable Mention" category. :-)

January: Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park
February: Lord and Lady Spy by Shana Galen
March: Rainshadow Road (Friday Harbor) by Lisa Kleypas
April: The Morning Gift by Eva Ibbotson
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the Year 2012

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 4:00:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 4:09:13 PM PST
Finnegan says:
This sounds like fun! I'm in.

January-- Dreams of a Dark Warrior by Kresley Cole (now I can't wait for my turn at Lothaire from the library!!)

February-- Playing for Keeps by RL Mathewson. I have to second Ender on this one--it should have annoyed me how many times the H called the h by her pet name, but it really didn't. I laughed out loud several times and it still makes me smile to think of the book.

March--I have to go with Lothaire (Immortals After Dark) by Kresley Cole although Mine Till Midnight by Lisa Kleypas came in a very close second.

April--Continuing my Lisa Kleypas glom (I just read my first by her last month), I going with Love in the Afternoon (Hathaways, Book 5). I just loved how the whole relationship developed and thought it brought the whole series to a lovely end.

May-- I'm going to go with Burning Alive: The Sentinel Wars by Shannon K. Butcher. It was a good reading month for me, and this one just barely beat Oracle's Moon by Thea Harrison and Devil In Winter by Lisa Kleypas (which I probably would have picked if I hadn't picked one of her for the last 2 months!).

June--I had a great reading month so this is really hard! I read and loved Tangle of Need by Nalini Singh, Breaking the Silence by Katie Allen and Easy by Tamara Webber and highly recommend them all. But I'm going to put Sheltered by Charlotte Stein as the best of the month.

July--Living Nightmare: The Sentinel Wars gets the win this month, with an honorable mention to Julie Kagawa's The Immortal Rules.

August--One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, Book 2) was the best for me this month. I'm working my way through the series and this scored lots of bookmarks on the kindle.

September -- Archangel's Storm (Guild Hunter) by Nalini Singh for me this month. Lots of good stuff coming in October!

October--Destined for an Early Grave by Jeaniene Frost--I'm working my way through the series, unfortunately very slowly--I keep getting distracted by other stuff!

November--Not a good reading month with 2 exceptions, and since I can't choose, I'm listing both. Lord's Fall by Thea Harrison and Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter were both hugely entertaining and fun.

December--Shadow's Claim by Kresley Cole was my best read of the month, although Eternal Captive by Laura Wright was a close second.

Book of the Year--I'm torn between Sheltered by Charlotte Stein and Lothaire by Kresley Cole and they are both so good and so different, I'm picking them both for my book(s) of the year. :)

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 4:24:37 PM PST
Boone Brux says:
Oh goodie, I want to play too.
January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 4:32:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2012 1:09:21 PM PST
muffin says:
I'm in.

January-Out of the 19 books I've read this month I guess the best would be Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, Book 1)by Larissa Ione (3 stars out of 5 stars)
February- Read 19 books again this month but it was a great month...so many were 4 stars....Lothaire (Immortals After Dark), Perfection (A Neighbor From Hell),Playing For Keeps: A Neighbor From Hell Novel, On the Island,Darker After Midnight: A Midnight Breed Novel. Hard to choose a favorite but I think Playing for Keeps would have to be mine for this month.
March - 16 Books this month and BEST by far is the Fifty Shades Trilogy
April - 15 Books this month. Not a lot of stand outs...Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Slyvia Day was the best.
May - I was having a bad month until the end 17 books read and I loved Bear, Otter, and the Kid, and Who We Are both by TJ Klune
June - 21 books this month and the best was Motorcycle Man (The Dream Man Series)
July - 19 books this month and the best was any of the Ghost and Reincarnation Series by Kristen Ashley...they were all good
August - out of the 17 books that I read this month the best was Seduction and Snacks (Chocolate Lovers)
September - read 14 books this month and I really liked Futures and Frosting by tara Sivec
October - Good month, read 14 books and 5 of those were 4 star books. But I really think the best was "Breathe" by Kristen Ashley.
November - Read 20 books this month and only 2 were 4 stars...Sea of tranquility by Katja Millay and Flesh by Kylie Scott
December - Read 18 books this month and I have 3 that I really liked. Down to you by M. Leighton, Wallbanger by Alice Clayton and Building from Ashes by Elizabeth Hunter. My favorite would have to be Wallbanger.

YEARS BEST - Well let me see, read 209 books this year, and It's so hard to pick a favorite. The monthly winner's were all so good. I guess my favorite for the year was the Fifty Shades trilogy. Now I know that lots of people will say these are not written well, but I was able to overlook that and I just really connected with the characters and loved that they were not perfect like so many H/h are. I liked them for their flaws.

2012 - Now let me say that when I'm asked by my friends what are good books. I always recommend Kristen Ashley. I love all her books.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 4:39:18 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on May 16, 2012 10:04:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 6:19:44 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2012 7:14:50 PM PST
I am in as well.
JanuaryA Lady Awakened by Cecilia Grant
February Sleeping Beauty by Judith Ivory
March Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: A Novel and Flat-Out Love and it's only the beginning of March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 8:43:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 1:57:25 PM PST
Emma says:
Sounds like fun!

January -Hostile Takeover (Knights of the Board Room) by Joey W. Hill [Erotic Romance]
February - Celebrity In Death by J.D. Robb [Futuristic Police Procedural Romance]
March -Oracle's Moon (A Novel of the Elder Races) by Thea Harrison [Paranormal Romance]
April The Witness by Nora Roberts [Contemporary Romance]
May- Tangle of Need (Psy-Changeling) by Nalini Singh [Paranormal Romance]
June - Once Burned (Night Prince, Book 1) by Jeaniene Frost [Paranormal Romance]
July - Gunmetal Magic: A Novel in the World of Kate Daniels by Ilona Andrews [Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy]
August - My Liege of Dark Haven by Cherise Sinclair [Erotic Romance]
September - Delusion in Death by JD Robb
October - Never Seduce a Scot (Montgomerys and Armstrongs) by Maya Banks [Historical Romance]
November - Lord's Fall by Thea Harrison
December - Motorcycle Man (The Dream Man Series) by Kristen Ashley (actually just discovered her and devoured all of her books! Love all of her stuff!!)

Book of the year 2012: I'm going to go with Motorcycle Man (and all of Kristen Ashley's backlist) since it is so exciting to find an indie author that I LOVE :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 8:54:18 PM PST
DoraLady says:
McKaren,

Sounds like a Fun Challenge to do. I hope I will easily be able to pick one favourite for each month.

January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 2:09:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jun 2, 2012 10:34:32 AM PDT
I am in..sounds fun!

January- Favorite Series: The Lords Triology by Sabrina Jefferies; Favorite new author that I read and book..so surprised how good it was.. Theresa Ragan Return of the Rose; Great contempary book I read..again a new author for me: Jill Myles Wicked Games
February- On the Island Wow..this book is so great. I know it's going to be hard to beat. Great recommendation from everybody who read it..so great.
March- I really did not know what I was going to post for this month..nothing was good..until I read this book a few days ago Maiden Bride (Harlequin Historical)..This is what I love in romance books and she did it so well. Highly recommend.
April- I found this month to be to not be the best for books..but I did like Iguana Bay I thought this was great. I have really enjoyed her books.
May- This has been a good month for reading. I really enjoyed Fifty Shades Trilogy Bundle: Fifty Shades of Grey; Fifty Shades Darker; Fifty Shades Freed with book #3 being my favorite. I have also been reading from the beginning Joanna Lindsey books. I just finished the Wyoming series with the 3rd book for the series Angel (Wyoming) being my favorite. But really loved the series. Good month for reading.
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

Posted on Jan 5, 2012 4:49:36 PM PST
bookaddict says:
This looks like fun. I'm in : )

January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 4:46:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2012 3:30:16 PM PST
J. Alonso says:
Hello! I would like to join!! :)

January - On the Island which was a close tie to My Man Pendleton (mostly read freebies this month!)
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Book of the year 2012:

Posted on Jan 6, 2012 9:38:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 11:35:15 AM PST
Thinksign says:
I'm in and will possibly (all right, probably) update more than once per month.

January Corelli's Mandolin: A Novel, Louis De Bernieres, as of 1/06 I'm going to stick with this one as my January pick, although The Hunger Games Trilogy came close to bumping it.
February Keturah And Lord Death in audio book form, as of 2/26.
March The Kite Runner
April The Rock Hole as of 4/30/12
May Fool: A Novel as of 5/18/12. Wittty, bawdy, very well-constructed. Agincourt: A Novel as of 5/22/12. not Cornell's best. Call for the Dead as of 5/27/12
June Restless: A Novel
July An Unmarked Grave: A Bess Crawford Mystery (Bess Crawford Mysteries) as of 7/08/12
AugustThe Complete Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Tom Sawyer
SeptemberThe Beekeeper's Apprentice: Or On the Segregation of the Queen/A Novel of Suspense Featuring Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes (Mary Russell Novels)
October Moby Dick [Whew]
November In Sunlight and in Shadow
December

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 9:28:59 AM PST
McKaren says:
January is almost over-what was your favorite read this month?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 10:20:44 AM PST
LGK03 says:
I should try this! I'm going to list everything I've read worth mentioning and then pick my favorite. Everything I read is contemporary romance unless I mention otherwise.

January - Hidden Summit (Virgin River), Man Law, True North, Liberating Lacey an erotic romance, Rock Chick, Marriage by Mistake, and Explosive Eighteen: A Stephanie Plum Novel. I'm going to select True North as my favorite for month. It was my first by Force and I will definitely be reading more.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 12:02:02 PM PST
foxtail_too says:
January: GA Aiken's Last Dragon Standing
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 3:57:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2013 4:20:34 PM PST
Cam says:
January - Surrender (A MacKinnon's Rangers Novel) by Pamela Clare
February - Hold on to Me (Hearts of the South) & Memories of Us (Hearts of the South) both by Linda Winfree.
March - Fall Into Me (Hearts of the South) by Linda Winfree. I'm loving this series.
April - One Reckless Summer: A Destiny Novel
May - Sugar Creek: A Destiny Novel by Toni Blake & Bared to You: A Crossfire Novel by Sylvia Day. I hate thinking I have to wait until October to read sequel.
June -On the Island: A Novel Great story!
July - Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, Book 3) by Pamela Clare. Loved it! Pamela is great.
August - Pride and Pleasure by Slyvia Day
Sept.- Sweet Dreams (Colorado Mountain Series) by Kristen Ashley.
Oct. - Hard Evidence (I-Team) Pamela Claire.
Nov.-Wild Man (Dream Man) by Kristen Ashley.
Dec.-Law Man (Dream Man) by Kristen Ashley.
Favorite of the year - Bared to You by Sylvia Day

Posted on Jan 30, 2012 8:53:35 AM PST
LaurieM04 says:
I had a tough choice for this month's selection. My "short list" included Always a Temptress (The Drake's Rakes series) by Eileen Dreyer, The Duke Is Mine by Eloisa James, The Secret Mistress (The Mistress) by Mary Balogh, and Flat-Out Love by Jessica Park (which I think is actually a YA book). In the end, I went with "Flat-Out Love," which is surprising because it is not at all the type of book I normally read and enjoy. It was recommended on the "Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD" thread, so I tried the sample. It really hooked me, so I bought it and kept reading. I figured out the big secret pretty early on, but there were a few surprise twists that I could not have predicted.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  62
Total posts:  308
Initial post:  Jan 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 31, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions