Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Books with a perceived to be ugly heroine?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 14, 2011 2:20:43 PM PST
gbrd says:
I have read Courting Miss Hattie by Pamela Morsi and adored it, and The Heir is one of my top favorite Johanna Lindsey novels, and I was wondering if there are any other romance novels out there along the same lines? I am a sucker for the Ugly Betty premise, I guess you could say.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 2:27:10 PM PST
One of the Slightly series by Mary Balogh has an ugly heroine. There are six books in the series. Regency England.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 2:27:29 PM PST
One of the Slightly series by Mary Balogh has an ugly heroine. There are six books in the series. Regency England.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 3:08:57 PM PST
Sam says:
You can try Runabout also by Pamela Morsi, the heroine thinks she's unattractive and also those around her; she's not too bad though. Also The perfect rake by Anne Gracie is really sweet, I absolutely adore it, and it has the same premise.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 3:21:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2011 3:22:46 PM PST
How about Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne? The heroine is considered plain.

Posted on Nov 14, 2011 4:04:32 PM PST
It's a novella, but I found it through recommendations here and really enjoyed it: Ember. (Only 99 cents for Kindle, or free as a PDF from the author's website.)

It's a gritty twist on Cinderella, and fabulously sexual and clever and dark. The heroine is not exactly a looker to begin with, but there's also a lot of play on appearances (both hers and the hero's).

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 3:52:43 PM PST
Forgiving by LaVyrle Spencer

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 6:45:41 PM PST
Shannon C. says:
Open Season - Heroine starts out as a plain jane, mousy librarian and gets a make over during the book. Great light romantic suspense.

Mackenzie's Mountain - Heroine is a plain jane small town teacher. Good contemporary romance.

Quite a few of Shelly Laurenston's heroines are regular (not perfect) gals, e.g. some are on the larger side, one has a facial scar, one is a computer nerd, etc. And she has some mixed ethic backgrounds, which is nice. Her books are really funny PNRs. My fav of her series is Pride Stories. Book one: The Mane Event

Do you also like urban fantasy as long as there's a little romance in the storyline? If so, try the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. That's one of my favorite series. There's a nice romance that develops slowly over the series. The sex scenes are closed door in this one. The heroine is an auto mechanic who knows she's not beautiful. I really like her character as well as the secondary characters. book one: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)

Posted on Nov 15, 2011 7:39:47 PM PST
The Raven Prince The h is described as very plain.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:04:29 PM PST
gbrd says:
Thank you all so much for your recs, I appreciate it!

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:19:11 PM PST
Lulu123 says:
Lord of the Abyss (Harlequin Nocturne) by Nalini Singh

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:34:32 PM PST
Karlyn says:
I second Silver Lining by Maggie Osborne. The heroine is called Low Down instead of Louise. Great story of a women finding her inner beauty (and a funny story too.)

Also, The Wives of Bowie Stone by Maggie Osborne. Heroine is an alcoholic who runs a ranch. This author wrote some of the best anti-heroines and turned them into real women toward the end.

The Perfect Rake (Merridew Series) by Anne Gracie. Heroine is considered ugly by everyone else, but the hero is completely shocked by everyone's reaction to her beauty. (He's the only one who sees it!)

Master of Crows by Grace Draven. Heroine is very plain, many comment on her homeliness and one character says she needs a bag over her head. The way the hero comes to find her more beautiful then others was heart melting.

On the Way to the Wedding (Bridgerton Family) by Julia Quinn. Heroine is very plain, and hero is infatuated with her beautiful friend.

He Loves Lucy by Susan Donovan. Heroine is plain and obese, everyone think she's a joke. Hero is a trainer that helps her get fit, but falls for her long before her transformation is complete.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 2:56:01 PM PST
MelissaB says:
The Charm School by Susan Wiggs is a good ugly ducking story

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 5:42:10 PM PST
readtoomuch says:
Heaven, Texas by Susan Elizabeth Phillips has a "homely" h.

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 7:23:53 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 18, 2011 7:24:11 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 7:31:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 18, 2011 7:32:36 PM PST
Mrs Heart says:
Well, being a plus size woman mself, we often are perceived as not attractive - not fair and not true. I just bought the mystery/romance Stand-Up and Die by pat dennis for my kindleStand-Up and Die. The heroine is a plus size comic. Very funny book and easy read. P.S. I loved Ugly Better!

Posted on Nov 18, 2011 7:51:58 PM PST
kiki says:
I second The Charm School by SEP. It's one of my favorites, and immediately came to mind when I saw your post. Happy reading!

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 6:55:54 AM PST
grungebetty says:
Guilty Pleasures by Laura Lee Gurhke: The heroine is plain, the hero states at the beginning of the book that she disappears into the background. It is one of my favourites books.

The Charm School by Wiggs is excellent, I loved it.

Most of Diana Palmer´s book have plain or homely heroines.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 8:52:18 AM PST
D. Stom says:
Nothing Personal - h goes out of her way to hide behind clothes/glasses b/c mom's constantly denigrated her appearance all her life, so she thinks she's totally ugly & unworthy... Good sappy story though - and has a bit of comeuppance for some other characters. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2011 10:09:22 AM PST
Georgette Heyer: Sylvester, The quiet gentleman, A civil contract, Sprig Muslin.

Posted on Nov 19, 2011 7:14:55 PM PST
The Perfect Wife by Lynsay Sands if you like historical romance with humor. H is consistently picked on by certain family members for her looks (being a little larger than most), leaving her self-conscious. She tries to hide her curves from her groom, whom she meets the day they are to marry, which leads to a hilarious wedding.

Posted on Nov 26, 2011 5:37:16 PM PST
Beyond Seduction by Emma Holly has a ugly/plain heroine. There is a previous book Beyond Innocence where she appears too. I liked both of them.

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:15:05 PM PDT
ashlo says:
Bump

Posted on May 11, 2012 11:51:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 11:52:02 PM PDT
read4fun says:
Fallen (Leisure Historical Romance) by Celeste Bradley
A Rogue by Any Other Name: The First Rule of Scoundrels by Sarah MacLean
Bridal Favors by Connie Brockway
The Rake by Mary Jo Putney
Morning Glory by LaVyrle Spencer
Entwined by Emma Jensen
Ravished by Amanda Quick
The Promise of Jenny Jones by Maggie Osborne

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 11:56:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 11:58:55 PM PDT
nameinuse says:
She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb.

Geek Love by Katherine Dunne (told from the point of view of an albino female dwarf)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  26
Initial post:  Nov 14, 2011
Latest post:  May 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions