Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Any books similar to/ as good as Jamie McGuire's "Beautiful Disaster"?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 30, 2011 8:48:59 PM PDT
romancegal says:
need something with that same level of angst, emotion. passion, etc.

Posted on Jul 2, 2011 6:31:29 PM PDT
romancegal says:
anyone?

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 2:37:08 AM PDT
I loved this book! I haven't found anything quite like it yet. I'm usually not a YA fan, but Perfect Chemistry is good. Kind of a star-crossed lover storyline.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 6:55:48 PM PDT
romancegal says:
Just finished Perfect Chemistry ;) it was good, but not as good as BD. that book is so hard to replace!

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 8:22:14 PM PDT
Ashley says:
I know Beautiful Disaster is hard to replace I have been looking myself. I just finished reading Love Unscripted byTina Reber and I really enjoyed it. I would diffently recommend trying it out.

Posted on Jul 3, 2011 8:44:07 PM PDT
Mercered says:
I don't think you're going to find another one that good for a while....but I am looking :) I read perfect chemistry too and it was pretty good in a different way. I finally figured that I was going to have to just try a different genre for a while since BD was so good.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 1:41:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 18, 2011 11:46:20 AM PDT
Adnana says:
There's been so much talk about "Beautiful Disaster", I had to go ahead and read it too. Honestly though, overall I wasn't all that impressed with the book.
*SPOILERS*
True, I liked Travis very much -- in fact, I loved how absolutely in love and possessive of his girl he was; I never once doubted the strength of his feelings and his commitment to Abby and I definitely got the impression she would always be the most important person in his life. Still, a great hero alone doesn't, imho, make for a great romance, which I believe should also feature a heroine I can empathize with. Even more important, I need to feel that BOTH partners in the relationship are truly commited to each other and that they love each other equally (or if not equally, then at the very least just different degrees of 'deeply'). Unfortunately, I didn't feel that Abby loved Travis deeply (and not even close to how much he loved her). Her reasons for not being with him were shallow, I hated that their first time she slept with him just to make him lose interest, and then left him without a word, I hated how easily she could reject him time after time throughout the book, when he loved her so much. Also, Travis repeatedly gave up his pride for Abby, whereas she always put hers before him. No, I didn't like Abby at all.
*END SPOILERS*

Now that I got that off my chest :), I'll mention a few books I've read and which I thought were intense:
*YA genre
Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini (the hero can't stay away from the heroine even though they are driven by a curse to kill each other; and later they risk starting a war by being together)
Angel Burn by Lee Weatherly (it's a slower growing love for the couple in this book, but the hero is very interesting -- he's an assassin --, and the first time he meets the heroine, he saves her life, and then they go on the run together)
The Pace by Shelena Shorts (the hero has loved the heroine in all her different reincarnations)
The China Garden by Liz Berry
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting (the hero has always loved the heroine, but until now they've only always just been best friends)
Wake (Wake Series, Book 1) by Lisa McMann
Heart on a Chain by Cindy C Bennett (a very devoted hero)

*adult genre (very possessive, crazily in love and/or obsessed heroes)
Murder Game by Christine Feehan
Dragon Bound by Thea Harrison
Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell
The Warlord by Elizabeth Elliott
Dream of Me by Josie Litton

Posted on Jul 5, 2011 8:14:25 PM PDT
romancegal says:
Thanks Adana. I've read Heart on a Chain and I liked it. So weird that I like all these YA novels! but still on the lookout for another intense one like BD...

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 3:15:22 AM PDT
AllySophia says:
I don't get it.. BD?! .. He is criminally reckless. I love insanely jealous as much as the next girl.. But isn't he studying criminal law? The stuff he does ..drink driving, intimidation, abuse.. I just thought whoa OTT

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 9:43:16 AM PDT
Purse Monkey says:
BEautiful Disaster is a fantasy. We all want to experience a love that intense with a guy that sexy, possessive, jealous, will-do-anything-for-his-woman. But in reality, no, Travis would be heading down the wrong path with Abby right along with him. Their relationship can be looked upon as a character study of a dysfunctional co-dependency that wouldn't last long because it's so volatile. However, because it's a fantasy, a work of fiction, I choose to look at it as a love story between two soul mates that while they maybe a disaster when together, they wouldn't be whole without the other and yes, it's a beautiful thing.

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 11:53:56 AM PDT
TrishaLouise says:
Well said Purse Monkey!

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 7:42:43 PM PDT
Romancegal......Idk if you have read Lori Fosters SBC fighters series yet, but when i read BD it kinda reminded me of them. They give you the jealous tuff guy image.......Don't know if anyone else will agree, but you can look them up and see wht you think. It has been awhile since i have read the series, but i remember it being really good!! hope this helps!!!!

Posted on Jul 6, 2011 9:58:08 PM PDT
K. Adams says:
I loved Beautiful Disaster. Travis was perfect. I wish the author would continue their story, they were so young!! Loved it!

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 7:51:56 AM PDT
Romance Diva says:
See I don't want the author to continue their story. I like it just were it ended, where I can now pretend they are living HEA.

Because no way on earth isn't Travis doing 25 to life somewhere with his personality in real life, with Abby right there pumping money into his commissary account from illegal gambling.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 9:04:48 AM PDT
TrishaLouise says:
Romance diva: Lmao!!!!!!!! you are so right......

See that is one of the things I liked so much about the book. In real life that relationship would be a train wreck in the makings.
I can see Travis ending up on Americas most wanted or Deadly attraction. The author did such a good job of making me like them that I was able to buy it. I also enjoyed Travis's many flaws..... I really hate reading about perfect people

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 9:11:05 AM PDT
I am almost halfway through Beautiful disaster and already I know that I wouldn't want a sequel. If the author wrote a new book and Grace and Travis had a cameo, the way some of Kleypas' characters do, I'd like that. But an entire book would push the realism, cuz this is a couple with TROUBLE written all over them. Unless there was a zombie uprising, Travis would get Grace and her friends to safety.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 9:26:41 AM PDT
Y'all are right. That's what I meant when I said they'd end up on the six o'clock news on another post. The story is interesting, I loved the book, but it's not something that, I think, needed to be continued. There was so much going on in between the lines.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 9:27:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 9:28:47 AM PDT
I thought the heroine's real name was Abby? Have I forgotten so soon? I know she's called pigeon most of the book.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 9:31:49 AM PDT
Oops, you're right Chea, her name is Abby/Abs/Pidge, I'm reading a few books right now and sometimes I mix up the names.

Posted on Jul 7, 2011 10:20:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2011 10:24:20 AM PDT
Purse Monkey says:
Romance Diva: omg, lmao! You're so right! I can very much see that happening. Great way to put it, though. I'm a defense attorney so after I read BD, I start to see 'Travis' in the young men sitting in court. You'll be surprise how many young, good looking, tattoo guys with equally beautiful girlfriends waiting for their attorneys in court. When I see a couple like that, I thought of Travis and Abby. But within the pages of the book, I can imagine their HEA.

Oh, forget to say that I don't see Abby pumping money into his account if he's sitting in jail. I see her getting back with Parker or someone like him and writing Travis off as a bad experience. Again, in my fantasy, nothing like that happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 10:21:49 AM PDT
I do that all the time, too. That's why I asked. I though maybe I had mixed them up, especially since she was called a nickname the whole story.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 10:30:03 AM PDT
@ Purse Monkey,
Oh, I believe it. Half of the guys I dated growing up were a "Travis". Most of them have had their fair amount of time in the "Courtroom News" section of the paper. Like I said, IRL, it doesn't usually work out all that well. But like you said, within the safety of a book you can imagine.

And I liked the book for the angst. I think, regardless of our situations, most of us can remember a time when we *had* to be with someone no matter what. To hell with everyone else, they didn't know, didn't understand. It was young and exciting. That's what I liked most about the book, it made me think about those times and the "honeymoon" phase when you stayed so amp'd up about the other person you dang near were sick with it. But again, IRL, that usually wears off.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2011 10:30:37 AM PDT
E. Burns says:
LOL! Purse Monkey,
my gut reaction when I see them is "Yeah, you're hot but dammit, get a job, take your meds and STFU!"

Posted on Jul 8, 2011 2:09:57 AM PDT
Am almost done reading Kane Richards must die by shanice williams and so far its pretty good. The Hero reminds me a lot of Travis in how he goes from sleeping around to falling madly in love. Even though its a high school setting, its the closest I've found to BD as far as the intensity of the love, emotion and passion between the h and H.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2011 6:27:43 AM PDT
Mercered says:
ladyJane: Thanks for the rec! I loved the sample so I went ahead and bought it...I don't know if I'm going to be able to save it for vacation next week or devour it this weekend :)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 60 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
A Cold-Hearted Man by Lisa Kleypas out in October 2015 new HISTORICAL! YES!!! 20 1 minute ago
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 7707 7 minutes ago
Books that later revolve around kids' love stories...then you get updates on h & H 14 7 minutes ago
Romance with aliens that actually look like aliens 308 14 minutes ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 388 20 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 5 571 44 minutes ago
Biker Romance Part 2 1931 44 minutes ago
Funniest or Most Emotional baby delivery scenes ... Hero faints / panics / cries 14 1 hour ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 5080 1 hour ago
"The List" that was spawned by the popular Don't Shoot Me Thread 7241 1 hour ago
Hero saying I love you 3 1 hour ago

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  184
Total posts:  1482
Initial post:  Jun 30, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 63 customers

Search Customer Discussions