Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Caris Roane's Guardians of Ascension Series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 5:29:55 PM PST
Brenda says:
Alright ladies, I am in need of y'alls help with whether or not I should read Caris Roane's Guardians of Ascension series. I love love love paranormal romance, especially the possessive Alpha male sort. It is so hard to find good paranormal romances now. There has been several series I have tried and it just didn't do it for me. Examples: Janet Chapman's Highlander Series, Karen Marie Moning's Magic Highlanders, and Christine Feehan's A Carpathian Novel. I NEED more paranormal romance books, but am afraid to start any for fear of being disappointed. I am putting a list together of what I've read so far. Based of my list please tell me if I should read the Guardians of Ascension Series. Or if you can think of any I may like please let me know.

Kresley Cole - Immortals After Dark - The best series so far

J.R. Ward - A Novel of the Black Dagger Brotherhood - Should I read the A Novel of the Fallen Angels series??

Gena Showalter - Lords of the Underworld - And started the Angels of the Dark series

Larissa Ione - A Demonica Novel and Lords of Deliverance

Lara Adrian - Midnight Breed

Sydney Croft - ACRO

Lora Leigh - Breeds

Stephanie Myers - Twilight Saga

That's all I can think of so far. Please tell me what I should do. Thank you all so much.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 7:12:48 PM PST
Brenda says:
Bump...

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:26:06 PM PST
Brenda says:
Has no one read the Guardians of Ascension series????

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 6:27:23 PM PST
Cybercliper says:
You might try over in the Paranormal Romance Forum under this thread:

Read, Reading, Planning to Read (and more) ...Part 3:)

It's usually the first thread running. Those guys have read and reviewed just about everything PNR and might be more help...

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:46:32 PM PST
Brenda says:
Thank you Cybercliper! I'll definitely check it out.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:59:04 PM PST
I don't know how you feel about werewolves but I highly recommend Patricia Briggs. She has two series, the Alpha and Omega series and then her Mercedes Thompson books. Set in the same universe and lightly interconnected, but the two hs couldn't be more different. I love them both!!

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 9:30:48 PM PST
Aussie Girl says:
Brenda... I've had the same Caris Roane book on my TBR for ages too... I think the reviews are quite mixed for the series, its not one of the favourites over at the paranormal forum anyway.

Some suggestions: Nalini Singh - Psy Changelings and Guild Hunters. Really good.

Illona Andrews: Kate Daniels. Urban Fantasy. First book a little slow with the world building but then it really takes off.

Shannon K Butcher: Sentinels War series. PNR with HEA each book but overarching storyline through all the books.

Thea Harrison: Elder Races series. Most people love these with all sorts of supernatural creatures. Again HEA each book and overarching storyline.

Jeaniene Frost: Night Huntress. Really good Urban fantasy with great rapport between the two leads. Chapter 32, Book 2 is infamous!

Historical paranormals: Firelight and Moonglow by Kristen Callihan. Kiss of Steel by Bec McMaster. Really romantic combinations of both genres done really well, with more books to come in each series.

I've enjoyed all of these series. Hope this helps somewhat.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 2:47:33 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Brenda - I read the first book in the Ascension series. It took me forever. I had to force myself to finish it. I despised the both the hero and the heroine, and didn't find the world building to be very well-done.

Definitely not a favorite. I never read more of her books after that.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:45:28 AM PST
Brenda says:
Angela, I really appreciate the suggestions about Patricia Briggs books. I do like werewolf paranormals, unfortunately I don't care for books that have the same H/h as the two main characters in each book of the series - with the exception of the Twlilight series. Thank you so much thought for trying to help!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:49:16 AM PST
Brenda says:
Aussie Girl, thank you so much for the suggestions. A couple of the ones you listed I believe I have tried before and didn't care for, but most of them I will definitely try. Again, thank you!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 10:56:24 AM PST
Brenda says:
HJ, unfortunately I ended up trying to read the first book as well. I got to page 106 and just couldn't read anymore. I totally agree that the world building could have been done so much better. I kept getting confused and didn't understand a lot of what was said or happened in the book. I didn't care for how the H/h were too familiar with each other from the beginning of the book.I hate coming across books that I try and then don't like. There were several more books by Caris Roane within the same series and out that I wanted to read but am afraid to because I don't want to be disappointed again.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:25:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 11:28:32 AM PST
Catniss says:
Brenda, I can't help you with the Ascension series but have you read the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning? I didn't like the first Highlander book either but I LOVE Fever and the hero in that series is one of my favorite heroes of all time - very, very alpha and wonderful. The heroine starts out awful and she has great growth as the series goes on.

ETA - Just saw your post where you said that you don't like the H/h being the same in each book of the series - the first five books of this series are like that, but I'd still recommend checking them out if you haven't already :)

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:31:03 AM PST
Brenda says:
Catniss, hmm...I generally don't read series that have the same H/h as main characters in each book. I might have to read this one though or at least give it a try. Sounds very interesting. Thank you for the suggestion!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 4:42:34 PM PST
Brenda says:
Catniss, thanks. I will at least give them a try. They do sound very interesting.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:47:14 PM PST
Manda M says:
If you're not reading Nalini Singh, you're missing out on some of the best PNR out there. Her Psy-Changeling series definitely fits your criteria of different couples for each book, although previous characters are revisited throughout the story arc. Her Guild Hunter series has the first three books focused on the same H/h, but the next two (plus a couple of short stories) have different H/h's for each book.

I second the rec for Thea Harrison, especially her first book. The next 3 have different H/h, while the 5th revisits the H/h from book one.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:20:38 PM PST
Brenda says:
Manda, I'll definitely give Nalini Singh a try. I read the first book of Thea Harrison's. It was pretty good. I was thinking about going back to that series. Thank you for the suggestions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions