Initial post: Dec 7, 2012 3:53:14 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:22:43 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 3:57:49 AM PST
This looks legit.

Oh wait....

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:01:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 4:01:42 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
Not for $26 and a new author - not available on Kindle...

Maaaaybe if it got on Kindle for $.99 - $2.99.

Though I find it curious why you would have paid that much for a book just published by an unknown author. Not.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:03:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:24:15 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:09:12 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
You put the wrong link in for the book. Finally found the Kindle version - $6.99. Still way to expensive for a newbie indie/self-pub.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:13:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:23:56 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:16:10 AM PST
HJ Leonard says:
You heard word of mouth and read/posted a review of it in the same day it was published? Wow.

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:23:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 4:24:51 AM PST
read4fun says:
Jane, $6.99 is too much for a book written by an author unknown to me. It doesn't help that it only has two short reviews, one of which you wrote. Sorry, but two recs are not enough to pay that kind of price for an ebook.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 4:24:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:24:04 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:34:53 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:24:23 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 6:47:23 AM PST
I am sad. . . . . .I thought people were listing lots of their all time favorite romances. My fault!!!!! Just saying. Those discussions are everywhere, I will just have to search. Dang it!!!!!

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 7:08:30 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I skimmed the sample and I guess this is YA or maybe New Adult. The heroine is barely out of her teens with two kids and a minimum wage job. She's on the dumpy side; completely unremarkable in the looks department. Resents her co-worker because she is blonde and pretty (I've noticed that blonde = b!tch is a common trope in these books). Her dream is to meet a guy who is going to take her away from all this. Sigh. Maybe it's just me, but I find this so depressing! Yes, I know that within the first few pages she meets some gorgeous, rich, "special" guy/creature that falls instantly in love with her, so she will be saved from her sad life of mediocrity, but still. Is this the "new" fantasy? Passive, uninteresting young girl/woman who has one plan to improve her lot in life - meet a guy to pay the bills?

Anyway, Jane, I'm going to agree with the other posters about the pricing of this book. $6.99 is about what you'd pay for an e-book by an established author. Even then, many people think twice before spending that. A completely unknown author is going to have a hard time selling their first book at that price - especially without a big publishing house doing the marketing for him/her.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 7:51:40 AM PST
"within the first few pages she meets some gorgeous, rich, "special" guy/creature that falls instantly in love with her, so she will be saved from her sad life of mediocrity, but still. Is this the "new" fantasy? Passive, uninteresting young girl/woman who has one plan to improve her lot in life - meet a guy to pay the bills?"

Yes! this does seem to be the new (unfrotunate, in my opinion) trend. Especially if the guy is a Baby Billionaire. With long hair. And I think Twilight's influence is a big part of the problem. Ugh. This is why I avoid the entire New Adult category.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:15:44 AM PST
L. Burns says:
I've had the same experience with the few New Adult books I've tried. Young girl/woman who is only remarkable for how totally uninteresting she is. Moves like a lump through her mundane life in a perpetual state of boredom, with absolutely no aspirations other than meet a guy. Enter famous rock start/billionaire/fill in the blank who instantly recognizes how very, very special she is. Ms. Boring then rides off into the sunset (often she's pregnant by then) never having to lift a finger to do anything to make her life better.

These stories should definitely be marketed as "Fantasy", whether they're PNR or not. You've got a better chance of running into a sparkling vampire on your way into WalMart than meeting a rich, gorgeous guy just dying to sweep you off your single mother, sweatpant- wearing feet! New? Nope, this is just Barbara Cartland with a little sex thrown in.

And I'm not trying to offend anyone. Nobody has to defend their reading choices; we all have our escape/fantasy reading preferences. I am sure that there are some YA/New Adult books out there that do not follow this formula, that feature strong, independent heroines. They can't all be this depressing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:20:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 8:22:32 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
I'm very sorry but this post all by itself made me put that book on a "do not buy" list.

<one of my friends friends wrote it>

<it was actually published its assisted>

???

I do apologize but how can I seriously consider a recommendation from someone who can't spell or use proper grammar. I would have to assume that the book would be equally poorly written.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:23:31 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
I am always turned off by cheesy phrases like "best romance book ever".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:26:21 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
This explains it:

From the OP's review: (The only product review on her profile.)

"I don't really read a lot ...."

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:29:06 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Actually it is self-published.

Here is the "publisher" info - http://www.iuniverse.com/

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:29:59 AM PST
Kate Barley says:
I also cringe at "must read" -- at least the OP didn't mention it being made into a movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:50:06 AM PST
C. Stapleton says:
Not to mention, "They waved (sic) all fees b/c WE were editors pick." We? I thought it was a "friends friends".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 8:51:24 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
It is pretty sad when a sock puppet is virtually illiterate. Also have to wonder about those "editors" who would "pick" it.

DL

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:29:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 11:29:48 AM PST
bernadette says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:43:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 7, 2012 11:45:08 AM PST
Reader in NJ says:
Now they're coming out of the woodwork. Amazing how people who write books can't read/understand Amazon's policies.

EDIT: fixed typo

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 11:46:25 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Well, you know. Socks can't read.

DL

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 7, 2012 12:25:04 PM PST
HJ Leonard says:
At least that one's only $2.99.

They can't read/understand the policies because they were wrapped up in the woodwork. ;)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Amazon Discussions Feedback Forum
105 Jun 10, 2014
BBA (a.k.a Books Are Not Babies) 2839 8 minutes ago
Looking for good love triangles 35 8 minutes ago
I wonder sometimes if I am the only Romance reader out here that avoid certain books 52 10 minutes ago
Open season by Linda Howard possible spoiler 25 12 minutes ago
Hero is Crazy in Love and Crazy Jealous/Possessive 4 6797 13 minutes ago
Bargain Kindle romance books that are also GOOD ... please, no promos in this thread 9408 14 minutes ago
Loner Bad Boy H in College looking out for sweet, shy h 36 15 minutes ago
Free Today Second Edition 2479 20 minutes ago
Loan Me Thread V. 6 1583 47 minutes ago
Looking for a book out of print 2 2 hours ago
Husband is having a "midlife crisis" and leaves wife 179 2 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 7, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions