Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Dear book buying confessional........

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 5510 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 9, 2011 12:11:35 PM PDT
Noelle says:
Forgive me but I have done it again. I have let that "one click" button lead me into temptation one more time. And I am so far into the dark side that I only bought Kindle books so that my husband will never know. Here is a list of my transgressions;

REBEL BRIDE by Catherine Coulter
WITH NO REMORSE by Cindy Gerard
PLAY DIRTY by Susan Andersen
A PROMISE OF LOVE by Karen Ranney
SLAVE TO SENSATION by Nalini Singh
QUEEN OF SHADOWS by Dianne Sylvan
TRESSPASS by Meg Maguire
THE DUKE OF SHADOWS by Meredith Duran
FLIRTING WITH DISASTER by Jane Graves
THE WEDDING by Julie Garwood
ANY MAN OF MINE by Rachel Gibson
SWEPT AWAY BY A KISS by Katharine Ashe
VIKING WARRIOR, UNWILLING BRIDE by Michelle Styles
DEMON CAPTIVE by Stephanie Snow
WEDDING BELL BLUES by Heather Graham
HIS CONQUEST by Diana Cosby
DRAGON BOUND by Thea Harrison
TAKEN BY THE VIKING by Michelle Styles

That brought the total of my unread books up to 445.
Thanks for listening, I feel sooo much better now! Time to go read.lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 12:15:44 PM PDT
Dog Lover says:
Maybe after you complete a few you might consider posting a review about some books.

DL

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 12:21:46 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 10, 2011 6:27:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 12:22:48 PM PDT
Ender says:
I purchased my ereader approximately 356 days ago. There are currently 427 books loaded. Kindly, my husband stated books are not vitamins and I don't need one a day. I sincerely beg to differ :)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 12:29:32 PM PDT
Noelle says:
LOL Ender, my husband would agree with yours however I agree with you. =)

@Diane Bernard- When I first bought my Kindle I tried to stick to only freebies (until I paid off my cc) and I was able to find a few that I thought were pretty good and if I had spent $$ on them I would have thought that I had gotten my money's worth. And I too like my books in print, most of my tbr are dtb and the new releases that are coming out that I have my eye on I'm going to buy in hardcover wich is my favorite.

@Dog Lover- are you on goodreads?? As soon as I finish a book I write a review on it over at goodreads.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 1:18:42 PM PDT
KC says:
Noelle, if it helps, you're not alone! I hit the used book store Saturday with a list of authors & titles that I've found on these lists, and my tbr pile increased quite a bit! I lost count, but I think by somewhere between 15 & 20. Currently, there isn't room for an increased tbr pile (so many already stacked up), so they're still in the bag I purchased at the store for .98, that reads bibliomaniac. Yep, it fits!

But hey, I'm set for the next blizzard...reading by lamplight!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 1:23:35 PM PDT
Noelle says:
LOL KC. I plan to go to the ubs this weekend, I have some books that I want to sell them and a list of books to look for too. Bring on the blizzard, I'm ready too. =)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 1:24:43 PM PDT
Yall are talking blizzards and it's almost 100 degrees outside!

I have enough books loaded on my kindle to get through the next ice age. Provided I have something to keep it charged with anyway.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 1:31:27 PM PDT
Noelle says:
I figured that in the event of ice age/blizzard or zombie apocalypse I would use a Bagdad Battery to charge my Kindle.lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 2:12:23 PM PDT
KC says:
Noelle, I'd never heard of a Bagdad Battery, so I just dipped into Wikipedia! Interesting! Closest I've gotten to that one is Abby in NCIS using lemons to power her music during the major power outage. That gal has her priorities straight! Music before computer!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:27:58 PM PDT
Bea Reader says:
Dear Book Buying Confessional...
I'd already promised my hubby that I wouldn't buy the hardcovers, that I'd wait for the paperbacks.
I couldn't handle it anymore and bought them; I just put labels on them to disguise them as library books... oh I still feel awful...I think donating them to the library will help someone else out there.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 2:59:31 PM PDT
This is why I am so afraid to buy a kindle. I'm so afraid one click is going to get me in trouble. On the other hand, I just cataloged all my print books and I surely see the benefit in being able to hide, ahem, not disclose the amount of books I've purchased in the last six months alone. I store a lot of my books in my mom's spare room and she hit the roof when I brought in the new books. :-)

Bea: How can you disguise them? That might help me as I can say the books are part of my research? I can see the benefit of hiding my Quinn's next to my scholarly tomes which no one will touch with a ten foot pole in my house.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 3:25:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 3:27:12 PM PDT
Yes one click has gotten my bank account down to bare bones a few times in the 13 months I have owned my Kindle. And although I say I am going to search out the freebies or 99 cent titles I always end up getting the newest releases so I can read them before anyone else. I've done a little better since we moved to the big city and my local county library is online with multiple branches and even drive-through service! P.S. I don't have a husband to answer to but my tyrant adult son who lives with me and doesn't read for fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 4:10:00 PM PDT
**groan**

My book-buying problem is more serious than I thought!!

I bought my first kindle in mid-December 2010 and have 1,849 books on it as of today....

A lot of them are free (non-public domain books), maybe half of them, but the others were purchased.

And you are exactly right, kindles make it soooo much easier to hide your book purchases.

I think I need a 12-Step program.

Help. Me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 4:51:51 PM PDT
Bea Reader says:
@Miss_Informed- On the binder I place a tag with part of the author's last name, first intial and type F(fiction) etc..and on top another photo shop label stating NEW. It also helps that since we've been married (19 yrs) my "the sport's page is the only thing I'll read" hubby has never been to the library.
But with the kindle he'll never see the ever growing piles, nor the titles or the prices; I think I'll buy a kindle which one is the best one to buy?

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 5:02:02 PM PDT
Thankfully, I'm using an iTouch I swiped from a hatchling who acquired a new model recently (hey, a second gen is just fine for the Kindle app), so, not knowing how many it'll hold, and not having wireless access unless I happen to be somewhere that has wireless, maybe I can keep out of trouble.

Now... the UBS visits, OTOH... This weekend was tax free on school supplies and clothes so I shopped in a couple of nearby towns and visited...3 UBS and one BAM. I think my TBR pile went up by 30. I'l; blame BAM in part - I looked over their carts and found several trade paperbacks for a buck ($0.90 with my card). Of course, the youngest hatchling got new school clothes too (my daughter doesn't think the 24 pairs of socks I got him are enough. She may be right), so the trip wasn't totally books. I just sneaked them in. Heh. Heh.

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 5:27:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2011 5:28:59 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
Dear book buying confessional,
The borders going out of business sale is driving me broke! I can't help myself! There are four borders within easy access to me, one is only a few blocks from my work! If I buy anymore my boyfriend is going to murder me... I need help! But I cant stop!
I was also just at a used book store this weekend and bought so many books there as well. I also went to the library and got some used books at their sale as well as borrowed books from the library. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 5:38:30 PM PDT
dear book buying confessional,
as with redwithabook, I have recently found myself in major trouble at the borders going out of business sale, spending money on books, when I can still get them cheaper from amazon.

I also admit to trolling ebay for good book deals and just purchasing a lot of 20 john sandford books for $20 to add to the already huge stacks in my bedroom and study

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 9:02:13 PM PDT
LadyHawke says:
dear book buying confessional,
I'm addicted to trolling for free Kindle books and endlessly downloading them. I also buy unnecessarily large quantities of Kindles books that aren't free. For pennance, I will remain on the couch until I've read them all! ;-)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 9:12:52 PM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
That one-click button is evil. I've had some late-night book buying accidents. But whenever I go through that whole "Purchased by accident? Click here," thing, the books are never removed from my Kindle. Weird.

Thank goodness I've started going off ebooks - I don't know why but I've been craving only print books. Buying those actually requires you to think before you hit the 'buy' button!

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 9:45:08 PM PDT
Reader says:
I still perfer books over ebooks but I completely understand.

My problem is the pre-order stuff. I pretty much have Lauren Dane, Jennifer Ashley, Lisa Kleypas stuff all ordered ahead of time so that I don't forget that a new publication has been released. The only reason I even got a kindel was so I could read "Second Chance" (Lauren Dane).

Those of you guys down loading free ebooks, are those any good? I down loaded a few but was not very impressed by them. Any recommendations on free ones that are worth precious reading time? (PLEASE no self-promotions!!!)

Posted on Aug 9, 2011 10:33:59 PM PDT
Aussie Girl says:
Dear book buying confessional,

I thought I was the only one who had a secret stash of books in cupboards throughout the house. Now I have a kindle so think of all the trouble i can get into with that. Thank goodness for all you kindred spirits out there. Funnily, I have the most generous husband in the world who doesn't care how much I spend on books, it is my own guilty conscience stashing them away. I have made a pact with myself that I must read down my stack from about fifty to only ten before I buy another book. Yeah, see how long that lasts....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2011 10:42:59 PM PDT
Redwithabook says:
I used to promise myself the same thing eventually I gave up.. :'(

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 5:13:25 AM PDT
Ann King says:
I am a "one-click" addict! I've had my Kindle for two years now, only about 500 books. The first year, I was trying to finish all my unread paperbacks, so I went back and forth. Now that I have reached "that age" where my arms aren't long enough to focus, I tend to only read the Kindle because it is so much easier on the eyes.

I also love the convenience of finishing a book and immediately buying the next in the series (there's that one-click problem again).

Posted on Aug 10, 2011 6:31:41 AM PDT
Secret stash of books in cupboards? That would be fine if there was any space left in them and if my husband was not the "I want to know everything" type of man. He mixes into everything and often lectures me about the things any true wife should do. But, the good thing is that he ignores the contents of the bookcases. That is another form of luck.
What confuses me is the fact that when I spend 200 euros on clothes or cosmetics, he never reacts, even when there is no need for any of it. If i say i bought 50 euros worth of books, we have war coming up soon.I still wonder about the reason.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 221 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  197
Total posts:  5510
Initial post:  Aug 9, 2011
Latest post:  14 hours ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 21 customers

Search Customer Discussions