Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Does this Harlequin plot ring a bell?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 3:49:30 AM PST
Sara says:
h is an overweight teen. H is having dinner at her family home. She helps herself to another potato and he tells her off, asking does she really need a second potato (!) Potatogate spurs h on to lose wight, and she later becomes a model. Then she meets the H again.

I think I read it about 15 years ago.

Would be grateful if anyone knows it!

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 3:52:48 AM PST
Sara says:
And one other!

h is 16 and a school girl and has short, boy like hair. She is crossing the road to go to school and H nearly runs her over and falls in love at first sight. They don't meet again until years later.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:22:39 AM PST
Michigangirl says:
I've read the first one. It's from the mid to early 80's I believe. I don't remember the title though. I only remember the horror that is that book because the heroine goes off on him years later about him saying that to her and he is perfectly okay with what he said because it caused her to lose weight and the heroine winds up agreeing with him.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 1:37:27 PM PST
I'm intrigued by both books. Hope someone will know the titles!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 7:13:25 PM PST
Could the first one be this?...

A Love That Endures by Claudia Jameson

The ugly duckling grew up

Becky should feel grateful--but she could still remember his exact words: "If you don't want to look like a little dumpling, why do you gorge yourself so much?"

Cruel words that had shattered fat, spotty teenage Becky--and killed her hopeless crush on Stirling Robard. Now, ten years later, faced by Stirling's arrogant charm, she could admit his taunts had spurred her into becoming a top international model.

Becky knew that since they'd last sparred bitterly, she had changed for the better. The question was--had Stirling?
-------------------------

I've never read it so I don't know if it has the potato scene in it.

The title for this book doesn't seem to fit its description (imo). I mean, "a love that endures"?...after he's so cruel? He sounds like a jerk. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 9:38:53 PM PST
Michigangirl says:
I'm pretty sure that's the right one. That quote sounds really familiar, and that was basically exactly what he said to her too. He didn't feel bad about what he said because look what she became, and she admits that he's right. I really didn't like that book, but it's been many many years since I've read it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 1:53:28 AM PST
BethB says:
I read a similar plot, same time frame. In that one, h overhears H mocking her weight and is crushed. Years later, they meet again and he doesn't recognize her. She is an ex-model (I think) and now works to promote healthy lifestyles and body image or something similar. He now has a young relative with an eating disorder and attacks the h for her unrealistic, idealized image. Eventually, she slams him with the truth of how his casual cruelty devastated her teenage life. He is suitably horrified.

I don't think this is the same book, but it would be funny if it was, as I was left with a much more positive feeling.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 6:46:15 AM PST
Ayocadabra says:
Which book is this? It sounds much more karmalicious than the first one

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:06:49 AM PST
BethB says:
Can't remember. Probably from the 80s? We need Boogenhagen on this.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:10:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 7:12:42 AM PST
The second one sounds like an old Margaret Pargeter book. I'm sure I have it on my bookshelf in my old bedroom back in my parents' house. I think it's called At First Glance. Hope that helps? Man, I loved that book. I read it so many times. That's why I still have that tattered old copy.

I found this: http://www.scribd.com/doc/62082948/61640777-Margaret-Pargeter-at-First-Glance (it looks like the whole book. Is that legal? Who knew?).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:13:41 AM PST
So if she became depressed and turned into a chronic drug user would he take credit for that, too? I hope now that she's a famous supermodel she led him on and dumped him. But its a Harlequin, so she prob ended up thanking him.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:15:06 AM PST
LMAO!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 7:40:46 AM PST
BethB says:
The plot of At First Glance seems completely different, so not that one.

I think the bulk of the plot of the one I mentioned was the h planning to get the H to fall in love with her so she could dump him and get revenge.

BTW, lots of full books oln Scribd. Always worth checking there for oldies.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 7:43:53 AM PST
Great to know, Beth! I'm always looking for oldies that I can't find on Amazon. Hope you find your books :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:52:27 PM PST
Sara says:
Thanks so much, Rappaccini's Daughter, that's the one!

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 1:55:59 PM PST
Sara says:
Natasha Anders, I checked out At First Glance, but as BethB says, it's not the one.

Hope it really rings a bell with someone!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  7
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions