Customer Discussions > Romance forum

Hero says "MINE" but heroine says "no!"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2012 8:43:15 AM PDT
Willread says:
I`m looking for books where the hero wants the heroine - maybe a were who sees her as his mate or a guy who somehow thinks the heroine "belongs" to him - and she turns him down.

I`m not interested in stories where the heroine comes around just because the hero is hot or one where she buys that she belongs to him just because he says so. I would love a story where he actually has to work for it - show her that he has more to offer than possessiveness and good looks.

I`m looking for stories where a strong hero and a strong heroine clash - and ignite.

Thank you for any recommendation!

Posted on May 9, 2012 9:09:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 9:09:32 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Definitely Kresley Cole's PNR series, "Immortals After Dark". The first book in the series, A Hunger Like No, is one of the best, so it's a good place to start.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 9:20:47 AM PDT
Willread says:
I read that one and I must admit that I didn`t like it. To me it seemed like the hero tried to rape the heroine into submission and I`m not really into that. I prefer books where the heroine stands up to the hero - and manages to do so (I`m not blaming the heroine in that book, just to be clear, I just prefer books where the hero convinces the heroine in other ways than by taking her by force).

I haven`t read any other books in that series because the first book scared me away from the whole series.

Posted on May 9, 2012 9:21:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 9:30:04 AM PDT
Adnana says:
If you like Regencies, Georgette Heyer's classic Devil's Cub is a fabulous read. The hero kidnaps the heroine because of a misunderstanding. Slightly drunk and thinking she is a woman of loose morals, he intends to force himself on her. To discourage him, the heroine, very sensibly, shoots him. Thus, the hero quickly recognizes that he was mistaken about the heroine, but the damage is done (he kidnapped her and already took her out of the country) so, to repair her reputation, he decides to marry her. She refuses a marriage on such flimsy basis. The hero gradually grows more determined to marry her, the heroine is even more determined that she will marry for no other reason than love.
Awesome heroine, definitely not too shabby hero, innumerable laugh-out-loud moment and truly, an all-around fabulous read.

Some samples of greatness (the heroine is Miss Challoner, the hero is Lord Vidal):

"Then you will know, sir, that his lordship's temper is extremely fiery and uncontrolled. I had provoked it, and it-it was disastrous. Lord Vidal forced me to go on board his yacht, and carried me to Dieppe."
The gentleman felt for his quizzing-glass, and raised it. Through it he surveyed Miss Challoner. "May I ask what were his lordship's tactics?" he inquired. "I feel an almost overwhelming interest in the methods of daylight abduction employed by the modern youth."

"If you succeeded in protecting your virtue, my dear Miss Challoner, I can readily believe-knowing his lordship-that your methods must have been exceedingly drastic. You perceive me positively agog with curiosity."
"I shot him," she said bluntly.
The hand that was raising the pinch of snuff to one nostril was checked for a brief moment. "Accept my compliments," said the gentleman calmly, and inhaled the snuff.

"...Mr. Comyn, desiring to protect me from his lordship's-coercion-announced that we were man and wife. Lord Vidal, with the object of making me a widow, tried to choke the life out of Mr. Comyn... After that," she said matter-of-factly, "they fought with their swords."
"How very enlivening! Where did they fight with-er-their swords?"
"In the private parlour. Juliana had hysterics."
"It is quite unnecessary to tell me that," he assured her. "What I should like to know is what was done with Mr. Comyn's body?"

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 9:27:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 9:33:03 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Hmmm...
The IAD series has two types of heroines: the softer, very feminine ones (like the heroine from "A Hunger Like No Other") and then the ones who are brash, arrogant warriors. I prefer the heroines from the former category, but from what you've said I think you will most likely enjoy a book where the heroine is fierce enough to stop the hero from (successfully) going all "he-man" on her. So I'd recommend that you maybe try the second book in the series?
No Rest for the Wicked
The hero is strong, but still a sweetheart, somehow. He recognizes the heroine as his destined mate and courts her quite determinedly, but he never coerces her or tries to intimidate her. Rather, he becomes her partner and tries to help her achieve her own goals. The heroine is very competent and strong. Maybe read some reviews and see if the story appeals to you. I think it would be a pity to give up on the IAD series after just one try. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 9:29:14 AM PDT
mim6302 says:
The Kresley Cole's "Immortals After Dark" series has a lot of the "MINE" stuff going on, but "Wicked Deeds on a Winter's Night" and "Dark Desires after Dusk" have the stronger heroines that really make the Heroes work for it. The whole series is fun but I think those two books fit what you are looking for better because the heroines aren't sold on the hot heroes right away.

Posted on May 9, 2012 9:44:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 24, 2012 2:27:08 PM PDT
Adnana says:
Another suggestion in the PNR genre: Branded by Fire (Psy-Changelings, Book 6) by Nalini Singh. I think it works fine as a stand-alone, but the reading experience is definitely richer if you already know the background. This is a good series; all heroes are possessive and protective and the heroines are strong and confident, though they don't really play dominance games with the hero (with the exception of "Branded by Fire").
Another strong heroine who takes no cr** from the hero is Elena from Nalini Singh's "Guild Hunter" series; first book is Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, Book 1). Starting with the 2nd book, the hero definitely has a lot of "you're mine" moments, to which the heroine doesn't say no, but something more like "right back at you, buster". I really liked her attitude. ;)
Another interesting read was the sci-fi romance Prime Obsession by Monette Michaels. The hero says "you're mine", the heroine is definitely interested, but she doesn't want to be just taken, or taken for granted, so she leaves. She leaves a message for the hero to follow her and court her properly.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:07:36 AM PDT
No Rest for the Wicked: I agree with Adnana regarding the H, Sebastian, in the book. I loved him for the reasons she stated.

SPOILERS: Also, Sebastian is intense, brooding and handsome. He is obsessive about Kaderin the Cold Hearted, the h, and pursues her relentlessly. He never even thinks of other women, not even a goddess or nymphs (who try to tempt him.) Sebastian, in my opinion is the ideal mate.

He claims that the h is his bride because she awaked his body for the first time since he changed into a vampire. He gets the h to feel the first time in a very long time too. Her emotions were taken away by a goddess for supposedly her own sake. When Kaderin, who among other things is a vampire killer, went to kill Sebastian, she ended up feeling intense emotions including feeling aroused by him and could not kill him.

Kaderin made it very difficult on him, saying "no" way too many times in my opinion. Also, she meet one of your other criteria - she was a strong character mentally as well as physically. She is a fighter who entered a deadly race to bring back her sisters, who were killed by a vampire. This book does not seem to be as popular as other Kresley Cole's Immortals After Dark series but it is on my keeper and favorite bookshelf.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:29:50 AM PDT
Willread says:
@Adnana: I`m usually not very fond of heroines being kidnapped but that one sounds like a great read. Does the heroine stay strong all through the book? I just hate when the heroine goes from lioness to doormat.
""I shot him," she said bluntly."
LOL. I`ll check that one out. Thank you!

I like HR, supernatural, time travel. alien ... just about anything. It`s the story that`s important to me - not necessarily where it`s set :-)

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:03:26 PM PDT
Angel says:
Adnana - good choice with Devil's Cub and I second the recommendation. I love all GH novels, but this one fits the OP's criteria and has some very funny moments. Of course we get to see Leonie again - and that is always a treat. LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 1:19:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 1:20:02 PM PDT
Adnana says:
Yes, the heroine in "Devil's Cub" definitely stays strong over the course of the entire novel -- no personality transplant here, transforming her into a weak, simpering female halfway through. She's a lady, so she's very polite and gracious, but there's never any doubt that she has a spine of steel and that she knows EXACTLY how to handle the hero (from standing up to his attempts at bullying her, to sometimes being just agreeable enough with him to get him to back off etc.). But she never does something she doesn't want to (she doesn't let the hero decide her life for her not even after she falls in love with him).
This is really a very well written novel, but if you start reading it, give it a bit of time to get used to the language (the language is very formal and faithful to the period; the author wrote the best-researched Regency romances ever).

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 1:23:30 PM PDT
Willread says:
I just bought it :-)

I do like it when the writer chooses to stick to the formal way of writing. That is, I don`t mind it when they don`t, but it does add something extra to the novel if the writer actually masters the period she is writing from.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 1:33:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 1:35:39 PM PDT
Adnana says:
I apologize to everybody for hijacking the thread just a little bit.

Angel,
I'm in the mood to read a GH romance, but I didn't yet have any luck finding a good one. So, being a GH fan, maybe you can recommend something to me?
The thing is, I hate her heroines who are unnecessarily stuck-up and stubborn and antagonistic towards the hero. For example, I started reading "Regency Buck" last night, and when Judith (the heroine) first meets the hero, her country bumpkin brother almost causes a carriage accident, which the hero manages to avoid (because he's a brilliant driver). So the heroine sees this elegant, self-assured and competent man, and just because he looks like that and doesn't start shouting at them, but instead (well-deservedly) treats them with slight superiority, she hates him on sight. And over the next few chapters, she just gets more hateful / irrational in her reactions and behavior towards him.
I also disliked the heroine in "Sylvester", the heroine in "Arabella" was borderline ok (but such a liar!). I loved Mary Challoner from "Devil's Cub" and "The Grand Sophy". I liked "Venetia" and "Frederica". And Leonie from "These Old Shades", of course.
Are there any good GH books left? With a likable heroine and an attractive hero? Thanks. ;)

Posted on May 9, 2012 2:22:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 9, 2012 2:24:11 PM PDT
R. Rhodes says:
Sorry, this is in response to Adnana:

I'm not Angel but, my favorite GH books are: Cotillion, Lady of Quality, The Reluctant Widow, and The Quiet Gentleman. I agree with you on Arabella and Regency Buck. I also disliked April Lady.

Posted on May 9, 2012 3:36:09 PM PDT
D. Arnold says:
Checked with scribd and they have a nice selection of GH books to read. Only an excerpt on Devils Club, not full book.

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:14:21 PM PDT
Slave to Sensation (Psy-Changelings, Book 1) by Nalini Singh

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 4:57:01 PM PDT
Jem says:
I love The Talisman Ring, The Quiet Gentleman, and The Unknown Ajax. A little mystery, a little humor, intelligent heroines, and appealling heroes - who could ask for more?

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 5:19:31 PM PDT
TravelingGal says:
I liked these as well - and I disliked Regency Buck and April Lady. I didn't think Arabella was that bad and I like Sylvester. I also really like Reluctant Widow and Cotillion.

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:04:33 AM PDT
for the poster wanting GH rec's
The Masqueraders loved this one! secondary romance as well. Interesting plot twist involving masquerades
Sprig Muslin h is shy, loved H for years but he loved someone else who died

can't remember which one had horatia and rule, but its a good one too. H wants to marry into her family, but chosen sister loves poor guy. h offers to marry him so her sister won't have to. warning, though, there is OW.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:45:50 AM PDT
That's the Convenient Marriage with H-H-H-Horatia. It's been awhile but I don't recall another woman but there is another man who tries to stick his fork in.

I like Heyer's sparring lovers in Faro's Daughter, The Black Sheep and Sylvester which are three of my top tier Heyers. Some more without: The Talisman Ring, Toll Gate, The Corinthian, False Colors.

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:23:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 8:29:57 AM PDT
Adnana says:
Thank you, girls, for all the GH recommendations.

Now, to get the thread back on track.
Willread, I've thought of a few more historicals which sort of fit your request. The heroes are all possessive neanderthals (at least in the beginning) who think that the heroines should give themselves to them just because they say so. Of course, the heroines disagree. These relationships are antagonistic (especially in the beginning), the books themselves very un-PC -- but soooo delicious. The heroes become more reasonable in time (after important lessons imparted to them by their respective heroines), but they never turn into complete pussycats. However, I didn't have a big problem with their unavoidable chauvinistic tendencies, because, mostly, the heroines weren't cowed and did a good job standing up for themselves.
Uncommon Vows by Mary Jo Putney
By Possession by Madeline Hunter
Claiming the Courtesan by Anna Campbell

ETA: Other than this, I'm all out of ideas. I think there should be many other titles, especially in the PNR genre, fitting your request, but I can't think of any other than those already mentioned.

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:42:23 AM PDT
Angel says:
Adnana - it looks like others have beat me in recommendations. Some of my favourites are The Grand Sophy (although there have been heated discussions about the anit-Semitism in this book). I loved Venetia, the Quiet Gentleman and the Unknown Ajax had some of the funniest scenes I've ever read. I really liked the heroine in The Talisman Ring too. She was calm, collected with a wonderful sense of humour.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 7:53:16 AM PDT
Willread says:
@Adnana I just loved By Possession and also the GH book you first recommended. I just LOVE Madeline Hunter and especially her medieval books. I`ll try the Mary Jo Putney book. MJP is a hit of miss author, I think, but when she`s good she`s quite good.

I`ve read quite a few PNR but most of them have their heroines caving half way through the book and it always annoys me so much. I would really love a book where the heroine asks for more from the hero than him claiming they are "mates". I would have wanted him to want me for more than some supernatural blood or destiny thing :-)

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2012 8:36:43 PM PDT
Cphe says:
I'm surprised that
North Wolf
hasn't been mentioned

Posted on May 18, 2012 8:45:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 18, 2012 8:49:41 PM PDT
SheReadsALot says:
Cphe, North Wolf is a great rec. I love the Hero in that story.

Here's a few more:
(contemporary)

Smooth Talking Stranger - this book #3 of a great series. Ther hero is one of my favorites of all time.
From Rags - Both the h and H are alphas and have a long history...they were in a group home for a few years before the H aged out. It is a great story.

(paranormal)

Go Fetch (Magnus Pack) - the heroine makes him work for it!
Out of Kresley Cole's works, I think this most fits the MINE aspectDemon from the Dark (Immortals After Dark Series, Book 8) because the h, Carrow, can't be with the H, Malkolm, in order to save her family and Pleasure of a Dark Prince (Immortals After Dark, Book 7) because the h, has a husband she has to kill first and she made a chastity vow which definitely keeps the H on his toes.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Romance forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  May 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 27, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions