Customer Discussions > Romance forum

book suggestions where the characters are at middle-age

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 50 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 25, 2011 6:57:53 AM PDT
Big Mama 4 says:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good romance where the characters are middle-age?Nothing wrong with younger characters,just would like to see if such books exist,or are middle age people not in the running.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:05:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 7:06:01 AM PDT
are you talking late 30's, 40's....

i know in one of Nora Roberts Trilogies (the In the Garden one)...one of the couples is in their mid-30's (Blue Dahlia (In the Garden, Book 1)) and then another of the couples is in their late 40's-50's - Black Rose: In the Garden Trilogy

Robin Schone is more on the erotic romance side of the house, but her hero's and heroines tend to be older too - Scandalous Lovers - they are in their 40's (or even maybe 50's) and both widowed/divorced

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:05:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 7:06:12 AM PDT
E. Burns says:
One of the best books I've read in years has a couple in their 50's . The only thing is it's the last in a series of 5 with their story being set up with lots of background info in the first 4. Anyhow, it's Absolution by Kaylea Cross and it's just wonderful--- I re-read it a half dozen times already.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:06:40 AM PDT
B. McClure says:
Fast Women by Jennifer Crusie. The main characters both have teenage children.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:10:43 AM PDT
Survival at Starvation Lake

He is 50 and she is 40, from two total different walks of life. Plane crash survivors in the stark winter wilderness of northern Canada struggle to overcome their bleak circumstances against overwhelming odds.

Classified as Christian\Adventure\Romance 32 five star ratings

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:13:26 AM PDT
There are some romances out there with more mature heroes and heroines. My favorite is Sweet Hush by Deborah Smith, which I definitely recommend. I don't remember the heroine's age exactly, but she has a college-aged son.... so late 30's or early 40's, at least.

None of the books below are on my keeper shelf, but they fit your theme request. You can read their descriptions here on Amazon to see if you'd be interested in them:
* Destiny Unleashed by Sherryl Woods
* A Chesapeake Shores Christmas (4th in a series; a lot of their backstory is in previous books)
* Scandalous Lovers by Robin Schone

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:13:28 AM PDT
Anonymouse says:
Saving Nathaniel by Jillian Brookes-Ward is a gentle mature romance. He is 55, she is 45.
Linda Loves...? by the same author is a love triangle romance. Linda and her husband are in their late 30s, her lover is 47.
Age is no barrier to being in love.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:20:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 7:26:15 AM PDT
Reviewer Aus says:
I second Absolution by Kaylea Cross (again - I seem to be doing that a lot lately!).

One of the best things about the book is that the characters are just regular characters. So often with slightly older couples the entire focus of their story is on their children, or some other drama we typically associate with that age group.
In this one the hero is a highly-respected, very physically active man, and the heroine is beautiful and vulnerable and strong when she needs to be.

You might also want to check out Robyn Carr. Some of her single title books feature middle-aged women.
In her Virgin River series there're plenty of secondary stories involving slightly older characters.

(I certainly hope people in their thirties aren't considered middle-aged! Goodness, that sounds too young for me - every romance hero in the world seems to be about thirty-five!)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:25:25 AM PDT
E. Burns says:
Some of the most sexually active folks I know are in there 50's .... Kids are gone and they have the house to themselves. Plus no fear of pregnancy.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:29:38 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 20, 2012 7:05:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 7:58:58 AM PDT
L. Burns says:
*Hot Wheels and High Heels by Jane Graves. Heroine is 40 and I believe the H is roughly the same age. No kids for either one. I really liked this one - it's funny but not silly and the romance takes some time to develop.

*Red's Hot Honky-Tonk Bar by Pam Morsi. Heroine is in her late 40's, but the H is much younger (not sure if that's what you're looking for). Very good story though it probably walks the line between chick-lit and romance.

*Thirty-Nine Again by Lynn Reynolds. Heroine is a breast cancer survivor who is celebrating her 40th birthday. Again, the h is younger. Honestly, I read this for the unique heroine and it was pretty good, though you can tell it's one of the author's first efforts.

*All That Matters by Stef Ann Holm. Both H and h are 40ish. She's divorced (no kids) and he's a widower with 2 teen-agers. I found it slow moving but actually pretty realistic.

*Sex And The Serial Killer by Jennifer Skully. This has absolutely NOTHING to do with serial killers - stupid, stupid title! The heroine is 40 and was recently dumped by her cheating husband. Tracks him down to a small town where she falls for her next door neighbor. (He may be slightly younger, can't quite remember). It's funny and sexy.

*Exclusively Yours by Shannon Stacey. Both the H/h are in their late 30's, so not quite middle-aged, but at least "mature". Good story about old high school lovers reuniting after many years apart.

Many of Susan Elizabeth Phillip's books feature a secondary romance between a couple in their 40's/50's. "Natural Born Charmer" comes to mind but I'm pretty sure there are at least a few others.

And as another poster mentioned, some of Robyn Carr's secondary characters are more mature, but be prepared to be depressed! A 40ish woman in a Virgin River book is usually depicted as a post-menopausal granny type who only talks about vaginal dryness and sagging body parts - LOL. The women in the books I mentioned are a little more modern - still sexy and attractive in their 40's. Good Luck!

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:15:28 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 20, 2012 7:06:32 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 8:18:40 AM PDT
Two I recommend:

"Point of No Return" by Rachel Lee. Good book with married hero and heroine who have teen-age and grown children.

"Familiar Strangers" by Sharon Sala. (Actually has a gray-haired hero pictured on the cover!) A reunion story.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:39:13 AM PDT
L. Burns says:
Just thought of another Stef Ann Holm book where the H/h are in their mid/late 40's - Lucy Gets Her Life Back. The h is divorced with two teen/tween sons. She moves to a small resort town in Idaho and meets a retired baseball player. IIRC, there's not too much focus on the kids, or at least it doesn't overwhelm the romance. Leaving Normal is another one of hers with a 40+ heroine who falls for a younger man.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 8:59:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 9:01:01 AM PDT
Books&Wine says:
I second the recomendation for A Gentle Hush by Deborah Smith.
Many of her books have characters that are at least in their late 30's and often in their 40's.

Barbara Samuels/Barbara O'Neal. Many of her books have heroines in their 40's.

If you read women's fiction with a strong romantic element, try Barbara Delinsky.

Also, look for books from the unfortunately defunct Harlequin Everlasting line. All featured couples in their forties to sixties. Most were really good stories.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 9:45:09 AM PDT
Big Mama 4 says:
I was thinking late 40's and up. So glad to hear of all these books I was beginning to feel the world had passed by the mysterious "older" woman.I understand European culture has a very different out look on "older women" The U.S. is very "youth oriented" in everything. Nothing wrong with that.....just saying

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 9:49:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 25, 2011 9:52:15 AM PDT
Well, if you want a nice perfect peach from the store, have at it. But my experience is that they are pretty tasteless. I prefer to go to a farmer's market and buy an heirloom peach with a few spots on it. That's when you get a truly delicious and juicy peach.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 9:51:31 AM PDT
Big Mama 4 says:
I sure will! Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 9:54:32 AM PDT
Big Mama 4 says:
Like your thinking!

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 9:59:41 AM PDT
My contemporary romance, Nobody But You, stars a 39-year-old divorcee heroine with a kid in college, and the hero is a 42-year-old ex-pro wrestler. The story deals with age appropriate issues, and the heroine does NOT have a perfect body!

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 10:46:03 AM PDT
Davina says:
Allegro by Azura Bennett
Heroine is 45, hero is 50.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 10:52:00 AM PDT
we are definately a youth-centric country...you watch tv at night and its all these ads about making yourself look younger, fitter etc...

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 11:51:56 AM PDT
Robin Schone has several books with older hero and heroine, "Scandalous Lovers" being on. Another is an anthology, "A Man and A Women", it is either part of "Captivated" or "Facinated". The sequels of "Outlander (I believe "Voyager: #3) has hero and heroine in theire 40ties or 50ties.

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 1:33:54 PM PDT
I love Catherine Cookson's Bailey Chronicles books. Fiona Nelson advertises for a lodger to make ends meet and the ad is answered by Bill Bailey, a working class man. Love ensues, even though her mother is aghast that she would fall for such a man & does her best to drive them apart.

OOOOH! While going to look for the link, I just discovered that the books are available in Kindle format. The first one is $2.99, the other two are $5.99 :-)

Bill Bailey (Featuring Bill Bailey)
Bill Bailey's Lot (Featuring Bill Bailey)
Bill Bailey's Daughter (Featuring Bill Bailey)

In fact, quite a few of her books are out for the Kindle now.

OT since it is not a romance, another Cookson favorite available is the first of the Mary Ann books: A Grand Man (The Mary Ann Stories)

Posted on Apr 25, 2011 3:08:26 PM PDT
I like Ice Storm by Anne Stuart. The couple is in their 40s. They had a brief interlude 20 years before and are now brought back together. It's part of a series but works fine as a stand alone.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Romance forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  50
Initial post:  Apr 25, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions