Customer Discussions > RPG forum

The Best RPG you ever played?! (Multi-Platform)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 201 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 26, 2010 4:32:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 26, 2010 4:35:30 AM PST
I'm replaying FFX right now, while it's great, it doesn't hold a candle to games like Xenogears, FFTactics, Lunar series, Persona series, Tales series, etc.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 5:01:06 AM PST
Bitchie says:
For me it's (no particular order, it changes according to what I'm playing at the time) Suikoden I, II, and V
Final Fantasy III/VI/VII/VIII(yes VIII) X and XII
SMT Nocturne
Chrono Trigger
Lunar Silver Star
Lost Odyssey (I don't get all the dislike for this one)
Final Fantasy Tactics (no damned advance, the original, and the PSP update)

Those are the games I find myself most commonly replaying, and the stick all other games get measured by.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 6:51:23 AM PST
WolfPup says:
Could not POSSIBLY disagree with that more. Xenogears is good, but not on par with Sakaguchi's best. FFTactics and Tales are terrible IMO.

Diremommy, who dislikes Lost Odyssey? :(

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 8:25:45 AM PST
Im going to say Final Fantasy 8 (because even though I love 7 its cliche). After that Chrono Trigger must be mentioned as well as Xenogears on the PSone.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 8:47:45 AM PST
Blueblur1984 says:
Swede, you liked BOF: Dragon Quarter? Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance but I wasn't a big fan. I love 2 and 3 and I enjoyed 4 pretty well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 11:42:12 AM PST
Bitchie says:
I did, but then I'm fairly easy to please. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 1:39:55 PM PST
I love the originals and BoFIII is probably the best in the series, but I really took to the uniqueness and the story of BoF:DQ. It was a hidden gem. The only problem was it can be beaten in less than 15 hours, BUT it is one fo the few games with real replayability. When you beat the game you get a rank based on how few times you become a dragon, how many rooms you cleared, and how long it took to complete the story which helps you get to the other rooms not available in the first playthru, nets you legitimatelly new storyline fragments that *really* do fill in some holes, etc. I don't know, something about it drew me in bigtime.

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 4:37:43 PM PST
J. Cummings says:
Wow, great thread!

I have to say, I've strayed away from the FF series and always came right back.

For my money, it's between IX, VI, VII and IX.

I don't think enough people have played IX to give it the chance it deserves. It pushed the PS1 to its limits and I'd love to see an updated remake of this game.

Of course, you could fill several books with what has already been written about VII, so nothing I say will really add to that. It can still remember how ticked off I was when Aeris got killed in that game! Now tell me how many RPG's truly have succeeded in making the main villain THAT hated?

IV also does not get the love it deserves, a relic for most of today's generation gamers from years gone by, but it's still the only RPG I know that has 5 people in your party at the same time, some of the best music in that generation of RPG's (especially Cecil's Paladin music...sends shivers up and down me every time I hear it) and plenty of twists and turns too (I could be wrong but I believe it was the first FF that made you believe someone in your party died...).

Of course VI really put FF into the mainstream...again memorable characters, another very hated (and underrated) villain, great gameplay and ending. Don't play the SNES version which removed a lot of the adult topics involved.

Put a gun to my head and only give me one...and right now I'm taking FFIX.

Now XIII...that could change everything. :)

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 3:44:06 PM PST
KJ says:
Star Ocean the second story PS
FF 7
FF 3 (US)
Chrono Trigger
Mario RPG
Diablo 2
FF Tactics
Secret of Mana

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 10:52:37 PM PST
FF 12 was the worst Final Fantasy besides 11 which wasn't a final fantasy. Opinion or Fact is up to you, but I say it was the worst (I've played them all). It would've been better if they didn't label it a final fantasy and that's the truth.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 11:00:01 PM PST
Still the best Final Fantasy....

until 13 that is.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2010 11:00:32 PM PST
I agree

Posted on Feb 27, 2010 11:06:36 PM PST
My favs are:
Xenosaga episode 3
Final Fantasy X
Tales of Symphonia
Lost Odessey (story)
Star Ocean: The Last Hope (combat)
Baten Kaitos

....and many more.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 5:24:48 AM PST
How did I forget FFIX...that's my fav besides FFVII. I loved it as a stand-alone title, but I totally bit on the whole meshing the new rpg style that started with FFVII and the old conventions/worlds that FF1-VI had. It is a nostalgia-fest, but the characters were great, the wolrd was beautiful and large, and it felt like a very complete game. It is also one of the few I currently own a soundtrack for. I love the old-school music in that game.

I also somehow forgot the Xenosaga series(particularly III) and Baten Kaitos. Baten Kaitos has one of my favirote 3 battle system ever because the of the deep strategy that is involved with your deck and the element/combo system. The characters made me cringe often(especially the Wakka look-a-like and the love interest. Her dialogue and voice-acting was just...just....*sigh*). It was a wonderfully rich world and unseen for the most part in JRPG's. It's too bad it landed on the wrong rpg system as it would have captured a very large audience on the PS2.

Posted on Mar 2, 2010 11:56:22 PM PST
Chrono Trigger, Final fantasy 10 and Grandia 3 loved the game and loved the ending. ^_^

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 10, 2010 9:35:34 AM PST
...what's wrong with you?

Vagrant Story, followed extremely hotly by Persona 3 (FES is somewhat better than the original, but they're still essentially the same game), are the two best games ever made.

My favorite game is FFVIII, and it is the best core Final Fantasy ever made, but I hold no illusions as to its quality relative to titles such as VS, P3, or FFT.

Posted on Mar 18, 2010 1:19:56 AM PDT
Brad Hoevel says:
Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy Tactics.

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 12:44:09 PM PDT
C.W. says:
Tie: Fallout 3 and Mass Effect Series. Without thhose two games, I would not consider myself a gamer and I probably wouldn't have gotten into half the games I've gotten into now.

Posted on Apr 1, 2010 1:36:41 PM PDT
In order:
Chrono Trigger (Still own the Original SNES cartraige)
Ar Tonelico
Final Fantasy 6 (Also have the Original SNES cart)
SMT: Digital Devil Saga
Disgaea (All 3)
Suikoden (V was the best of the series in my opinion, followed by 2 and 3. 4 and 1 were ok.)
Final Fantasy Tactics

Honorable Mentions:
Crystalis (First RPG I ever played, and a must for any RPG buff)
Tactics Ogre (Solid game)
Chrono Cross (Not sure why so many people hate this game... I think it has something to do with Chrono Trigger fanboys being upset by the new cast and battle system)
SMT Nocturne (Needed a bit more plot, felt like a demon version of pokemon)
Front Mission 5 (Best of the series, but you'll to brush up on your japanese)
Final Fantasy 4 and 5 (They have a nice helping of good plot between them, but they feel like what they are:preludes to FF6's polished battle system).

Posted on Apr 4, 2010 10:26:32 PM PDT
I have two that tie for my favorites of all time:

Final Fantasy VII: I love dragons and man, well... Bahamut, Neo Bahamut, and Bahamut Zero freakin' RULES.
Ultima VI: I just love being able to explore every nook and cranny. Gives me the feeling of being on a real adventure. Oh yeah, I also enjoy casting Armageddon....After I save the game first of course ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 8:38:03 AM PDT
Borderlands Absolutely! Fallout 3 comes pretty close, though, but nothing beats the frenetic online co-op experience in Borderlands!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2010 10:36:20 PM PDT
Nightfox says:
The Complete Ultima 7 (on PC, not the SNES/PSP ones)
Tales of the Abyss
Suikoden II
Breath of Fire V (I'm really amazed someone else mentioned this game earlier)
Dragon Quest VII
Planescape Torment
Deus Ex
Final Fantasy IX

Posted on Apr 6, 2010 12:12:23 PM PDT
It's hard to pick one, but it's probably Dragon Age: Origins for me. Perfect example of an RPG.

In reply to an earlier post on May 12, 2010 9:54:33 AM PDT
I can't list just one because the following are so darn close!:
Chrono Trigger; (SNES/PS1/DS)
Chrono Cross; (PS1)
Xenogears; (PS1)
Final Fantasy VII (7); (PS1)
Final Fantasy X (10); (PS2)

Posted on May 12, 2010 4:07:19 PM PDT
T-Hype says:
Deus Ex hands down.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  165
Total posts:  201
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2009
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 15 customers

Search Customer Discussions