Customer Discussions > RPG forum

What was absolute best game you've ever played? CHOOSE ONLY ONE!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 637 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 20, 2010 6:11:56 AM PDT
If you're limiting it to video games -- and that's still a tough choice -- I would go out on a limb and say Grim Fandango. It was NOT the most FUN game I ever played. Some of it in the late middle dragged on for what felt like forever, and many puzzles were frustrating. But when I say it was the best game I ever played, I'm referring to how memorable it was. Grim Fandango was true interactive cinema. The characters were fun to look at and an absolute blast to listen to. The dialogue trees were well scripted and often hilarious. The plot was ingenious with its mix of film noir and the Day of the Dead, it was truly worthy of a motion picture. Some of the cinematography was breathtaking, with great sweeps or pans or zooms cutting dramatically from one segment to another. I'll never forget the first one the gamer experiences, when part 1 gives way to part 2, a big spiraling shot that starts with a dejected Manny (lead character) picking up a broom and beginning to sweep the floor in a run-down diner he has just decided to work at while searching for the ingenue who drives the plot. The camera circles the building exterior while also climbing upwards as day turns to night and finally settles on Manny wearing a white tuxedo, standing on the top balcony, smoking and looking for all the world like a skeletal Humphrey Bogart while the dive diner has become "Manny's" -- a high class gambling hall. I'm telling you, the story in GF was so good, I got choked up at the ending.

So, yeah, either that or World of Warcraft. :)

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 3:49:33 PM PDT
Yossarian says:
Played and loved many games mentioned here (NES Final Fantasy, Planescape: Torment, Morrowind, all the Fallouts & Wasteland, Mass Effect), but my all-time favorite is Chrono Cross on the PS1. Everything about that game is glorious, from the music to the plot to the art design to the combat and spell mechanics. It was also extremely deep and filled with so many potential plot directions and characters you had to beat it more than once (on one of the first '+' options games) to use them all. I can play it forever.

Posted on Sep 20, 2010 4:04:04 PM PDT
Gerald Reed says:
i'll have to say ffx cause thats when it was first on the ps 2 and to see them talk was mindblowing but my non rpg was contra ...hands down old school

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 3:28:03 AM PDT
Mr. Jenkins says:
Definitely X-Com, Star Control 2, or the table top D&D for the most fun. I would say Mass Effect 1 was the top game as far as plot goes.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2010 4:27:29 AM PDT
Bane766 says:
I was extremely dissapointed with CC. I guess I expected something at least a little like Trigger and it wasn't there. The color system was kinda neat, but there were so many characters I just didn't like any of them.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 10:07:26 AM PDT
hoss3000 says:
I hate to be cliche but Fallout 3 has to be my definite favorite. It was a toss up between this and Demon's Souls.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 12:15:17 PM PDT
Uncle Ulty says:
Xenogears for its epic story, fun turn based battle system, and fantastic soundtrack. I can only imagine what kind of masterpiece we would have had if the budget hadn't been cut and FFVIII taking all of the resources.

Posted on Sep 21, 2010 1:39:52 PM PDT
In all the years I've played video games, I've played alot of great games. Too many to mention, in fact. If I had to mention just one that made a great impact on me while playing it...Hmmm, that would have to be Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. That was the first game to ever truly immerse me in its' gameplay to where I actually felt like I was on a grand adventure. For that, it holds a special place in my heart.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 2:11:32 AM PDT
I. McIntosh says:
Planescape: Torment

Just hands down the best RPG ever made.....if you haven't played it, you're missing a rare treat in the quality of writing. Some of the modern stuff is getting close, but Planescape still has them beat for sheer imagination and philosophical journey.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 3:02:45 AM PDT
Bane766 says:
I thought it was ok...but not near as good as everyone said it was.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 3:03:42 AM PDT
Bane766 says:
Yeah. As it was it was still a very good game. I loved the story and battle system as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 3:09:53 AM PDT
Bane766 says:
Yeah, this was really good too. I prefer A Link to the Past over this, but it's close behind.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2010 9:01:21 AM PDT
Belinda says:
Final Fantasy VII - hands down!

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 12:00:28 PM PDT
otterchaos says:
for a pc based rpg game my all time favorite was WASTELAND. Players could take their party just about anywhere on the map even if the party wasn't experienced enough to.

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 9:27:13 PM PDT
Erik S. says:
PC: EverQuest

Console: Demon's Souls

Posted on Sep 22, 2010 10:33:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 22, 2010 10:41:47 PM PDT
J. Allen says:
Lunar Silver Star Story Complete wins 1st Place in MY book! I also loved ALL Rune Factory games,which were probably the most addicting series EVER! Believe it or not,I also liked Yoshi's Story as well. I've also been a long time loyal fan of Kid Icarus & can't wait for Kid Icarus Uprising!!!!! Other than that,I liked the vast majority of Pokemon games too. I am not sure exactly WHAT catagory that you're asking about because I've focussed most of my gaming time around Nintendogs and/or My Japanese Coach recently.(OMG,I OBVIOUSLY PLAY TOO MANY VIDEO GAMES! lol.)

Posted on Sep 23, 2010 9:37:51 AM PDT
FF11 for overall experince, I've been playing since the PS2 release and still look forward to logging in each night. I loved 6,7 and tactics as well. Metal Gear Solid, CV:SotN, LoZ3 are definitely up there as well.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 11:00:39 AM PDT
Carly Fox says:
I've like many RPG games from KOTOR to Drakensang and loved 'em all, but if you want just one, the one that still brings memories back to me, it has to be "Tunnels of Doom" from the 1980's on the TI4. "Crusaders of the Dark Savant," "KOTOR I," or "Dungeon Seige II" come next.

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 12:54:05 PM PDT
Emily Sedai says:
Since quite a few of my favs have already been thrown out there (X-Com, FF, Herzog Zwei, etc.) I'm going to give my vote to Master of Orion, a game I used to love as a kid. Honorable mention to the ever obscure game 'The Return of Hercules' and Star Raiders on the old Atari systems. Classic games :)

Posted on Sep 24, 2010 1:29:32 PM PDT
Dragon Age Origins -- hands down.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2010 2:33:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 25, 2011 8:33:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 8:15:21 PM PDT
ME says:
I lost a whole year of my life to Skies of arcadia.

Posted on Sep 26, 2010 8:57:36 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2010 7:11:05 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 3:12:58 PM PDT
LOOM?

Posted on Sep 27, 2010 3:31:04 PM PDT
H. Delome says:
halo 3 all the way however whats up with the prequals having better stuff thats not cool
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  529
Total posts:  637
Initial post:  May 20, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions