Customer Discussions > RPG forum

XBOX 360 RPG for beginners

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 10, 2011 6:58:26 PM PST
I would like to learn a RPG game for the Xbox 360 that's not too challenging for a beginner. Any suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 7:34:06 PM PST
thewindwaker says:
One of the best RPGs on 360:
Lost Odyssey - Xbox 360

Two that play more like and FPS, and are both amazing:
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 7:41:58 PM PST
Thanks for the response. Do you think Halo 3 would be a good game to start with? I've heard people get overwhelmed with Oblivion. I've narrowed my choices to Fallout 3, Dragon Age, or Halo 3. In your opinion, what's the best to start with for someone who's brand new to RPG's?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 7:50:33 PM PST
thewindwaker says:
Just to clarify, Halo 3's not an RPG at all. It's just a straight forward first person shooter (FPS). It's still fun though, and you should be able to find it cheap.

As far as RPGs go, I'd say go with Fallout 3. It looks more like an FPS, just with many RPG elements mixed in. It's probably the most accessible RPG for newcomers.

If you find Oblivion complex, then you're going to be very confused with Dragon Age, so you might want to wait on that. Oblivion and Fallout 3 are made by the same developers, and actually play similarly. But, Oblivion has a much steeper learning curve than Fallout, IMO.

If you find Japanese RPGs interesting at all, you should look into Lost Odyssey, it's really good (The price on Amazon's kind of high, you may want to shop around).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 8:01:15 PM PST
Great. You've been very helpful. Thank you!

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 8:32:04 PM PST
thewindwaker says:
No problem, glad to help.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 8:33:01 PM PST
Donkey Punch says:
Fable 2 is fun and you can pick up a used copy for dirt cheap.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 11:38:27 PM PST
J. says:
Oblivion is great, but it does essentially just dump you, sans guidance of any kind, into the world. The learning curve is a bit steeper than Fallout 3, with "Perks" tied to skill progression rather than selected seperately. That probably doesn't mean anything to you though! Fallout 3 gives you nudges in the right direction, essentially, while remaining nearly as open ended.

Lost Odyssey is just an amazing game, but might not be the best introduction to RPG's. It's fairly complex, as any "JRPG" is.

If you're just looking for a fun game to introduce you to the basic concepts of RPG gameplay like stats, leveling, quests, etc, I'll throw in my vote for Fable II. It's not as amazing a game as the others being listed, but it's still very good and a lot of fun, and practically designed as a bridge for non-RPG gamers to pick up the genre.

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 1:53:47 PM PST
I agree with oblivion or fallout3 they are both amazing games and will last you a long time if you put the effort in to it.And the mass effect games are very good as well!

Posted on Feb 11, 2011 8:36:41 PM PST
I would throw my vote behind Fallout 3/Fable II as well. Fallout is the better game, hands down, but Fable is a bit easier to pick up for someone unfamiliar with the genre.

And while I <3 Dragon Age: Origins on PC, easily one of my top 10 RPGs, the console version was very poorly done from what I've been told by friends who have played it.

Posted on Feb 12, 2011 2:35:22 PM PST
StriderNeo15 says:
Try Eternal Sonata - Xbox 360

Not very hard or complex. Not super long, Bright and fun and well paced.

and super cheap.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 10:17:08 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I personally enjoyed Origins on the console, though with all the pausing it did feel more like a PC title.

I'll also throw a vote behind Fallout 3. I found Fable II a bit short and a bit light on RPG myself.

I do have to say though, the Mass Effect series would be my recommendation. Especially now that you can have both games for under $40. It's very adaptable in how you can play it - "you can play it like a chess player, or you can play it like a Halo player" is one way I've heard someone put it.

Posted on Feb 20, 2011 11:32:28 PM PST
Biohazard says:
Mass Effect1
Oblivion
Fable 2
Blue Dragon
Fallout 3

Posted on Feb 21, 2011 3:09:35 AM PST
P. Young says:
This comes down to opinion but I found Lost Odyssey to be crap and Fable 2 was boring. If you want a real RPG, would definitely pick up Elder Scrolls Oblivion, which is still the best game on the 360 IMO, as well as Fallout 3 and Mass Effect. Dragon Age Origins is also a good game but there is a bit of a learning curve to it

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 10:01:33 AM PST
I'm not very far in Oblivion, but so far it doesn't seem anywhere near as open as Morrowind... Morrowind (which is backwards compatible actually), seemed way to open ended for me. I put many hours in that one and never finished the main quest...

Eternal Sonata: Loved that game, the names are silly but you get used to it
Fable: The Lost Chapters is also backwards compatible as well as Balder's Gate : Dark Alliance 1 & 2
Blue Dragon: I played through the demo and it seemed fun, but my intelligence went down like 50 points playing it... I'd like to try the upgrade DS version though... no offense, but this might be a good beginner's RPG right here...
Knights of the Old Republic (Star Wars) another XBOX-1 title also backwards compatible and highly praised
Dragon Age: very good RPG on the 360, one of my favorites!
Phantasy Star Universe: (You don't 'have to play online') there is an offline story (which seems a bit too long), but also worthwhile. Once you get to a certain point in the "Story mode" you can then create you own character.
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection: I mention this one for every SMS and Gen Phantasy Star game ever created nearly 1,2,3 & 4. And even Golden Axe Warrior-SMS and Beyond Oasis (If only they had included Govellius-SMS...)
Finaly Fantasy XIII I am really loving... it really slips you slowly into the game play, and at first I was a bit put-out, but after everything is said and done, I'm GLAD they did it that way! A very good game!
Enchanted Arms: looks like a Square game that play like Evolution from the DC/GC
Tales of Vesperia (great old school RPG- from the "Tales of" line)

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 10:40:34 AM PST
Alex Wright says:
For beginners any of the the "Tales of" series is an excellent choice. fun combat, visually pretty, some nice comical monents. i am a fan. In that vein i'd also suggest Eternal Sonata. simple combat, complex story, amazing music.
If you want a big budget RPG to start with though i agree with most everyone else. Grab a Bioware game and play it. Mass Effect and Dragon Age are spectacular.
Fallout 3 was a great game too. It plays much like Oblivion though in that it is a first person RPG. Either of these would be a simple transition for someone who plays shooters.

Posted on Feb 28, 2011 12:20:47 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 3, 2011 7:43:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 1:08:52 PM PST
EricS_PDX says:
I'm a beginner RPG player- I just got an Xbox 360. I found Reckoning to be a great first game- it gives plenty of tips and is easy to play.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 2:14:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 10, 2013 2:16:23 PM PST
Kin-foot says:
Final Fantasy XIII first 20 hrs is pretty much a tutorial. I enjoyed it but does take awhile to "get going."

Fable 2 is a good action RPG for beginners.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning good action feel while a huge open world to explore, do quests and more all while leveling up.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 6:50:49 PM PST
I think Dragon Age: Origins is actually pretty RPG-newb friendly, and it's one of my favorite console RPGs of this gen. There are just so many ways you can approach the game and still find an enjoyable experience.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 5:53:12 AM PST
Augie says:
Border lands

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 11:20:25 AM PDT
Mike says:
try phantasy star 4 or 2 if your patient, and shining force1 and 2 as well. old sega games but you can get them for under 10 each on playstation, or free if you torrent. both rpgsone controls a mini army the other is 5 people deep. new games follow the same formula and add mutants and other filler.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 11:21:46 AM PDT
Mike says:
an unchallenging rpg. try indiana jones lego. my nephew digs it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Feb 10, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions