Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer seeso seeso seeso  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

What was absolute best game you've ever played? CHOOSE ONLY ONE!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 601-625 of 637 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 21, 2012 6:55:34 AM PDT
Best Game?? Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, 1st edition hands down.

Best video game? Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots <-- only time I've ever almost teared up playing a game, and it happened at least twice. Damn good experience.

A close second is Neverwinter Nights for me, and Halo: Combat Evolved.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 7:47:48 AM PDT
LL Coolbay says:
Pong. That or Ms. Pac Man 2 player flat arcade machines, those were the best ever.

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 10:31:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 10:33:12 AM PDT
MusicLover says:
Best Game? Dungeons and Dragons followed closely by Champions.

Best computer game? Master of Magic followed closely by Baldur's Gate 2

Best console game? Final Fantasy 7 (followed closely by Twisted Metal II)

Worst Console game? ET (atari 2600) I have no idea how many nights I spent trying to get ET out of those dang holes!

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 4:33:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 21, 2012 4:33:37 PM PDT
Eric Nichols says:
Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines

Posted on Jun 21, 2012 5:17:48 PM PDT
Joshua Cole says:
Every era has had its share of spectacular games, but Final Fantasy VI rises above the pack. My experience of all media, not just games, changed completely before and after it.

Runners-up include X-Com, Heroes of Might and Magic 3, Civilization 4, Might and Magic World of Xeen, Metal Gear Solid and Metal Gear Solid 4.

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 1:25:33 PM PDT
My Best Awards:

Best Turn Based Strategy: X-Com
Best Party Based RPG: Baldur's Gate 2
Best Single Player RPG: Morrowind
Best Sports Game: NFL2K5 (the game that forced EA to sign an exclusive deal with the NFL)
Best Action Game: Arkham City just replaced God of War.
Best Shooter: Call of Duty Modern Warfare
Best Online Shooter: Counterstrike
Best Puzzle Game: Puzzle Fighter 2
Best RTS: Warcraft 2 - It put RTS's on the map.
Best Fighting Game: Soul Calibur (DC)
Best Horror: Silent Hill 2
Sentimental Favorite: Panzer Dragoon Saga barely edging out Shadow of the Colossus

Game I played the most: Ultima Online - I had to get revenge on the PK's
Most Addictive Game: Diablo 2 - I actually played with an ice pack under my wrist.

Game that got me into the most trouble with an ex-girlfriend: X-Com!!!

Posted on Jun 26, 2012 7:43:20 PM PDT
Jessica says:
Tales of Symphonia.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 9:27:40 AM PDT
Gary says:
Fallout 3 followed closely by Fallout New Vegas. No doubt about it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 11:03:39 AM PDT
FryBaby says:
xenogears

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:25:58 AM PDT
Ocarina of Time or Kingdom Hearts... ahhhhhh! I can't decide!

Posted on Jun 27, 2012 11:49:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 27, 2012 11:50:19 AM PDT
Wicasawakan says:
Story, gameplay and more...Thief III.
Thief 4 will blow them all away.
Fallout 3 and New Vegas come a close second.

Ohh. I forgot about Fatal Frame

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 5:32:56 PM PDT
Jason says:
Tecmo Football on the NES. My buddies and I played the crap out of it. Remember Bo Jackson was so fast and hard to tackle, but no one could stop the 49er's Montana to Rice hail mary play - Rice would jump straight up and over the top of the screen and come down with the ball! Truly a fun game!

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 5:37:18 PM PDT
xXconanZXx says:
StarCraft, simple.

Posted on Jul 1, 2012 7:24:50 PM PDT
Quest 64 by a wide margin.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 8:49:23 PM PDT
Cory Smith says:
most people dont even know what that game is was awesome

Posted on Jul 5, 2012 2:16:01 AM PDT
Jacob Mraz says:
Fallout 2, for me one of the most strangely beautiful and humorous worlds ever created, and the theme song is epic.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 5:57:30 PM PDT
C521 says:
I guess Mother 3. Very touching story, great characters, and exceptional humor. Frankly the fan translation from Starmen.net was phenomenal. They definitely did the game justice. But I still hope for an official release someday.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 8:15:49 AM PDT
G-Money says:
Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:00:36 AM PDT
badguy says:
Xenosaga Episode 1, knocked my socks off.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:34:02 AM PDT
Gothic

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 4:03:38 PM PST
I must say I am totally confused about the hoopla over the Final Fantasy games. After reading all the hoopa about it I bought FFIX and I couldn't believe it...it looked like something out of the 1980s. Are you kidding me here? Cartoon characters? Really?
With all the amazing advances in graphics, etc. I can't believe FF is so top-rated. I tried it gang, I really did, but I just DO NOT GET IT.
As for me, I've played lots of RPGs but my all-time favorite is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. WOW. This game kept me occupied and interested for MONTHs. Literally months. I even played it more than once (and that is saying something for me).
I'd love for someone to explain to me why the Final Fantasy games are so talked about and top-rated, though. I'm obviously missing something here. But just hitting 'X' and wandering around doesn't float my boat. And like I said, cartoon characters? You've gotta be kidding me. Check out the graphics on Kingdoms of Amalur. The ocean views alone are incredible. The world is HUGE and you can go literally anywhere anytime you want.
Sorry guys. Guess I'm too old....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 4:26:33 PM PST
Is IX the only game you have ever played in the Final Fantasy universe? There are a LOT more games out there. You can't judge the ENTIRE series based on ONE bad game experience. I haven't played Kingdoms of Amalur, so I won't take your opinion away. But, if you haven't tried other FF games, then you can't just come here and say "FF sucks. I played only one game and it sucked, so ALL FF games suck." That is not a true opinion. I have played all of the games. There are some good ones (FF6, FF4, FF12) and some bad apples (FF10, FF11 and FF14). But most are pretty good. The reason, if you REALLY want one, that these games are lauded by gamers; is because they have decent graphics, game play, plot, character development, etc. They have also been around a lot longer. Granted, some of the newer games are starting to get stale and repetative, but Square Enix has given us some great games (as mentioned above). One game on my list (if you have read the whole discussion) is Chrono Trigger. That game is FREQUENTLY in the top 10 of gamer's lists. If you haven't tried it yet, pick it up on Nintendo DS or PSX (Final Fantasy Chronicles). It is ONE OF THE BEST CONSOLE GAMES EVER MADE. If Kingdoms made you want to play it over and over, so will Chrono Trigger. It has the best of Final Fantasy, with time travel elements, puzzle solving and excellent combat. Plus, the game features 13 endings that you can unlock at various points in the game, as well as a New Game+ feature that you can start over with your party's inventory, levels, stats, etc saved so the game never really ends.

Also, have you tried Elder Scrolls: Oblivion or Skyrim? Both of those might be to your liking. I think what it is (considering your statements about graphics) is that you forgot that many games that seem "dated" today (like FF9) were awesome when they came out on consoles so far ago. I loved FF9, it had an engaging plot, interesting characters, and a decent story. The overall experience was great. The "cartoonish" characters were supposed to be a throwback to the "sprites" of earlier FF's (something that Square got away from in FF7 and FF8), and the game was a "tribute" or "homage" to the older FF's (the bosses in certain areas were the original bosses of the original FF, you could unlock musical tracks from the original FF3 and FF5, the character of Vivi was made up like the original Black Mage design, many spells and summons were tributes to the other FFs, You fight an "antlion" boss that was a boss in FF4, and other stuff like that). The game pushed the original Playstation to it's limits graphically (the CGI cutscenes), and so some of the in-game scenes look rather "blocky" or "cartoonish." But again, graphics don't make the game.

I hope this helps. If you want, you can private message me and I can help you pick out some games that might be more to you liking. Again, your opinion is your opinion, and I would rather see you happily playing games that you like, rather than coming on here and posting about games you don't understand. Play some of the older FFs, and you might find that they are more than just "hitting "X" and wandering around."

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 4:45:21 AM PST
I'm on Alien Shooter2 Reloaded level 24, I've never been so determined to beat this game all the way, I don't think I've ever been so involved in a game, I will defeat this game!

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 4:52:37 AM PST
I think maybe I haven't played games enough to give an honest opinion, I just like the challenge each one has, and trying to conquer the mission! Sometimes i get so involved, I play for hours determined to win.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 7:37:36 AM PST
Mrs. Jones says:
Linda,

I think that part of the problem with newer gamers is that they are spoiled by the fantastic graphics. For someone who has been playing video games since the NES games and got addicted to Castlevania 2 for it's role-playing components fantastic real-life graphics are not important to me. It has been hard for me to get into another game from today's selection because I just don't connect to any of the characters or storylines. FFIX was a great game with a really touching storyline. I just beat FF VII this last weekend for the first time and it was pretty good. My favorite of all time though was FFIII on SNES or FFVI from Japan. I still hum the music to myself in the shower sometimes. LOL All the characters were very easy to relate to and really played with your heartstrings. I have to say that Kefka was also probably one of the most delicious villains that I have ever seen in a video game. I also have to agree with Russell about Chronotrigger. Awesome game. It's sequel for PS Chronocross was also fantastic. My advice to you Linda is give another one of the FF's a try. FF3/6 is the best but FF7 is also worth a go. I've never been so motivated to go to an Inn to sleep just to see if I could get another cut scene to tell me Shadow's back story. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  529
Total posts:  637
Initial post:  May 20, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions