Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

What was absolute best game you've ever played? CHOOSE ONLY ONE!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 637 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 29, 2010 4:22:37 PM PDT
StriderNeo15 says:
Was always Xenogears...until about a year ago.

now...Tales of the Abyss.

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 5:59:16 PM PDT
Perversion says:
Cannot pick one, sorry.

Top three:

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)
Flower (Playstation Network)
Demon's Souls (PS3)

Rounding out top ten, in no particular order, are:

Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
Morrowind (Xbox)
FFTA (GBA)
Portal (360)
Etrian Odyssey 2 (DS)
Phantasy Star Online (Dreamcast/Xbox)
RPG Maker 3 (PS2)

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 7:29:39 PM PDT
Star Control 2 - Great single player, great multiplayer, humor and music. I appreciate the nods to Torment and X-com though

Posted on Jun 29, 2010 7:33:27 PM PDT
kjp03c says:
metal gear solid (PS1)

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 6:48:45 AM PDT
I agree with the earlier posts about demons souls, but for me it would have to be Dragon Quest 8. The game was just so much fun and had a great story as well, plus everyone looked like they were in dragon ball z so thats always a plus lol

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 12:10:38 PM PDT
Earthbound (SNES)

Posted on Jun 30, 2010 10:42:55 PM PDT
Joe says:
Chrono Trigger

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 4:39:41 AM PDT
stephen says:
KOTOR

Posted on Jul 1, 2010 4:59:27 AM PDT
Diablo II

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 3:30:56 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
I'm going to cheat again and say Silkroad Online, an MMORPG. Beautiful landscapes and cities, a vast variety of monsters, and cool quests. Unfortunately, it's so clogged with bots and spammers, besides the real players, that I can hardly ever get on anymore.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 6:51:24 PM PDT
Richard Raul says:
I have to say to this day I still think of different ways to win in X-COM. It is was just that good of a strategy rpg. May not have aged as well for graphics, but the game play and just straight customazation is great. The followup X-COM terror from the deep was even better. Nothing like going through a spaceship to kill aliens or under the ocean or on land. It sucked when they used mind control against you or were able to get your guys to run in terror when a few got killed. This game took lots of playing hours. I had games going on for 6 months+.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 6:58:16 PM PDT
Raze Arein says:
Jade Empire, Xbox. A nice fantasy alternative to KOTOR.

Posted on Jul 4, 2010 7:53:14 PM PDT
Legend of Dragoon

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 6:59:38 AM PDT
Seth Wells says:
Chrono Trigger, although i just got Demons Souls recently, havent started it yet, but have heard great things...

Posted on Jul 5, 2010 9:49:37 AM PDT
Chrono Trigger for me as well. That game was the total package: beautiful art, amazing score, and great characters. I have it on DS now and have beaten it another billion times since then :)

System Shock 2 is a close second but a COMPLETELY different experience.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 4:41:12 PM PDT
Teddy says:
No one mentioned Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? One of the best, ever.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 9:08:38 PM PDT
J. Hoyle says:
Kingdom Hearts(PS2)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 12:17:02 AM PDT
Aeris dies?! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 12:19:45 AM PDT
System Shock 2, I was wondering when someone was going to claim this. Good call.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 8:06:10 AM PDT
Apollo says:
I am going to have to go with FF 7 as well....I spent waaaaay too much time with that game, but loved every minute of it.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 8:15:58 AM PDT
Anima: Beyond Fantasy
Can't go wrong with good friends and a great GM. Pen & Paper, all the way.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 8:57:30 AM PDT
Wow only one? You are really making me pick between Ocarina of Time and Metal Gear 4? ...hmm

Ocarina of Time; I've played it and enjoyed it throughout my youth. I think it was a vital ingredient in the growth of the gaming industry. It was an open world game full of immersion in a time before "open world" games were defined as such. For its time, the game was unprecedented. Not to mention, the music is timeless. Hell, I'd go so far as to say most games released in this day and age fail by comparison.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 7:26:25 PM PDT
"No one mentioned Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? One of the best, ever."

Actually a bunch of people have, but they've referred to it as KOTOR. I think KOTOR makes my top 5 list for sure, but is not my #1 title.

Posted on Jul 7, 2010 7:29:06 PM PDT
X-wing vs. T-fighter. God, I spent so many hours playing that game online with my friends! It is an almost perfect space combat simulator that we've never seen the likes of even 15 years later. Why Lucas Arts hasn't released a newer version of the game is beyond me. It was wildly successful and a truly epic game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2010 7:30:30 PM PDT
"Ocarina of Time; I've played it and enjoyed it throughout my youth. I think it was a vital ingredient in the growth of the gaming industry. It was an open world game full of immersion in a time before "open world" games were defined as such. For its time, the game was unprecedented. Not to mention, the music is timeless. Hell, I'd go so far as to say most games released in this day and age fail by comparison."

You are so right. It would be my #2 choice. The storytelling and fun level of that game beat so many more modern games. Great story = Great game. Period. Graphics can enhance a great game, but they can't save a stinker from sucking.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  529
Total posts:  637
Initial post:  May 20, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions