Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

Some of the WORST rpg strategy guides...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 4, 2010 12:38:36 PM PST
4MaskCurse says:
One of the worst things to happen to a gamer is to drop at least $20 for a guide to a very complex rpg,that ends up being terrible.
You know how it goes;wrong info,bad directions,no maps,little side quest data if any...

Anybody out there care to share some of the worst guides that they've had the misfortune to purchase?I can think of two off hand:

1.)Final Fantasy 9 by Brady Games--The guide would tell you a little bit of something but then refer you to it's online help site!I think that HAD to be one of the worst gudies for an rpg!

2.)Dragon Quest 8 by Brady Games--While it made for a halfway decent guide for most of the game,it made one of the last bosses seem like the end boss.It also had an incomplete alchemy guide and when certain items were found in the bonus dungeon (which it also did not cover)it would simply list the item's location as
"unknown!"

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:35:34 AM PST
T. Ferg says:
Suikoden IV Strategy Guide, not sure who made it, either Bradley or Prima. So low-rent, didnt even have a complete world map with all the locations. Thats all I remember it drove me insane.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:51:41 AM PST
I've been playing DA, referencing the guide a little for help with quest locations (running around until I find something is not my idea of fun). The guide isn't necessarily BAD, but it could use some work, esp. in the details of some sidequests.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 10:07:27 AM PST
Redshadow says:
one of the .HACK guides was actually missing info that needed to be downloaded from the site.

The xenosaga II guide I had was HORRIBLE. any time a page was turnes it became seperated from the book. I had several loose piece of paper by the time I was done with it.

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 5:50:24 PM PST
mk shaolin monks. horrible guide.

Posted on Jan 11, 2010 6:30:36 PM PST
FINAL FANTASY 9 period. PERIOD. Worst guide in history. Freaking gamefaqs.com was a better source.

Posted on Jan 21, 2010 7:38:29 PM PST
D. Hammond says:
FF9 guide wasn't even a guide. When the guide tells you to go on a website to put in a code for help it's time to put the glorified artbook down. Also nominate Beyond the Beyond as a runner up. Telling you to go left instead of right etc. spoils the help for an already crappy game.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2010 10:33:58 AM PST
FFIX's guide is the worst. Did you know that those codes stopped working on the site about a year after it came out.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 10:46:36 AM PST
Hardy says:
hahaha damn i forgot about that FF9 guide, what a fail.

Posted on Jan 28, 2010 10:52:05 AM PST
DAO guide...some of it was good but the sidequest section was horrible and the walkthrough was filled with spoilers

Posted on Jan 29, 2010 6:38:55 PM PST
Jaquio says:
Final Fantasy IX, Mass Effect, Dragon Quest VIII, Jade Empire was also incomplete guide

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 12:18:49 PM PST
Zeus Jupiter says:
i know it isn't an rpg, but the strategy guide to starcraft is absolutely wretched. "attack with your hydralisks in groups of 3", "keeping 1 scout at your base will repel a lot of attacks" "leapfrog bunkers into your opponent's base". seriously, it's hilarious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2010 4:53:42 PM PST
Does it really say that? I have that guide around somewhere, I'll have to check!

The leapfrogging COULD work, in SP, if you back them up with turrets...but those other two bits won't work in SP, and sure as hell won't work in MP! Lol!

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 6:14:16 AM PST
J. Niles says:
The only two guides i ever used where FF XI and Demon souls. Both well worth it. Other then that I dont use guides. If i need info i can find it on the internet.

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 1:02:38 PM PST
Uncle Ulty says:
Demons Soul's guide sucks because it falls apart after two seconds.

Posted on Feb 12, 2010 4:53:53 PM PST
FF 9 sucked big time! cross edge is another terrible one.

Posted on Feb 17, 2010 2:58:07 PM PST
Tara says:
I would have to agree that the FF 9 strategy guide was horrible. At the time, I didn't have internet access, so every time it directed me to find out more online I couldn't! And once I did finally get the internet, I was planning on re-playing the game, only you could no longer go online and get the codes! Grrr lol

Posted on Feb 18, 2010 11:27:02 PM PST
Yeah, when you think bad strategy guide, you kind of have to think FFIX. I mean, I still use it when I go through the game (and on some level I appreciate the fact that it doesn't give everything away), but as far as comprehensive strategy guides go, that was one of the worst.

Still, wasn't there one that had so many mistakes the company said "heck with it" and uploaded it for free online? Was it Disgaea, or am I thinking of something else?

Posted on Feb 19, 2010 3:44:12 PM PST
Definitely Final Fantasy 9. One of the worst guides I'ver ever had. You didn't even need to buy the guide, you could just go online and look at the playonline website and have it for free.

The other bad one I had was the original Prima guide for Final Fantasy Tactics. A lot of the pictures were blurred, especially those from chapter 4, and the pages kept coming out. The guide itself was good and comprehensive and I still have it, but I had to punch holes in the pages and put it in a 3-ring binder.

Posted on Feb 21, 2010 11:48:01 AM PST
B. Slocum says:
The Final Fantasy X-2 Bradygames guide was terrible:

-It was inconsistent, with the in-depth walkthrough's completion percentages not matching with the quick reference guide at the back.
-It didn't tell you that in order to get one of the strongest accessories in the game, you have to talk to a certain NPC every chapter. It decides not to tell you this until the coverage for Chapter 5, which is, of course, too late. Was I supposed to have read the whole guide in advance?
-It made no mention of how to earn the coveted The End garment grid or how to use the Finale skill.
-I got cheated out of my 100% because it didn't say that you needed to sell all of Tobli's tickets for the Episode Complete.
-It gives absolutely no strategy for the hardest bonus dungeons and bosses in the game (Via Infinito, Chocobo Ranch) which are needed for 100% completion. I couldn't help but wonder if the writer of the guide even managed to beat these dungeons.
-All the mid- to late-game boss strategies were identical and uncreative. The 2 Dark Knights and an Alchemist trick totally ruined this game's otherwise gripping battle system.

Posted on Feb 28, 2010 5:17:19 AM PST
J. Cummings says:
Yes, I absolutely agree that Final Fantasy IX's guide was one of the worst ever. You got more out of Nintendo Power's back in the NES days they you got for Final Fantasy IX. Neat idea, horrible execution, and now that guide is worthless.

I'll also throw a vote out there for Final Fantasy VII's guide too...as some of the strategies suggested in it are just hilarious (i.e. get a Golden Chocobo by getting to "S" status in the Chocobo Races!)

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 6:44:48 AM PST
Lucanus says:
FF IX wins with ease. Any 'guide' that says the secrets can be found online isn't a guide.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 7:01:44 AM PST
Redshadow says:
mass effect's guide was fine.

mass effect 2 on the other hand was/is horrible. It mentions talent points and squad points. wait what? what's the difference and then says you can raise your charm and intimidate parameters by spending points. huh?? in mass effect 1 maybe but not mass effect 2.

mass effect 2's guide also doesn't mention what happens when you take your time before heading through the omega 4 relay. in a guide so filled with spoilers they should include the negative impact taking too long will have.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 3, 2010 7:06:16 AM PST
If you put points into your class skill, it raises the percentage of Renegade/Paragon points you get, probably what it means.

I agree though, that guide is pretty useless. I mostly just got it for completion's sake.

Posted on Mar 3, 2010 9:31:24 AM PST
I have to agree with the 75% vote on this forum. Final Fantasy IX's guide was WORTHLESS. I found a page on rpgamer.com that had all of the secrets in the game, when you needed them! I also bought the guide thinking that it was going to be helpful. While the guide helped on the main quest, all of the sidequest stuff was "online". The reason they took down the stuff on the site was that they released FFXI a year after IX. That is why they took it down. Pathetic really. Hands down the second worst guide ever is a tie between Chrono Cross and Dragon Quest VIII. Chrono Cross didn't give you many hints, and to get the "good" ending (which, IMHO, was the WORST video game ending ever [but thats another post altogether]) you had to "puzzle" it together from the guide. I finally looked online because I wanted to see the "good" ending. Also, DQVIII didn't give you ANYTHING! They only gave you an outline! I finally went online and looked up a walkthrough on gamefaqs.com because I was LOST. I hate when you drop money for a guide that promises "secrets" and only gives you crap.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Jan 4, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 25, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions