Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

FF8 was underrated

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 118 posts in this discussion
Posted on Apr 6, 2009 9:46:42 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
"Problem was (seeing a pattern here), THERE WAS NOTHING TO BUY! You end the game with like 10 million gil and have nothing to spend it on. Also as a note, this money system was adapted by FF11 where monsters don't drop money either."

Very true. This was a problem that Square-Enix thought to remedy with Final Fantasy XII. Now, enemies don't drop gil, they drop loot instead. You can sell that loot for a tiny bit of money, but everything in that game is incredibly expensive! So now you have too much to buy and very little money...very frustrating!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 6, 2009 11:27:30 AM PDT
Jasonc506 says:
Sorry but FF12 did suck, not for the battle system though (it wasn't that great either), but because of the poor design choices, poor characters, and the story was not in league with other Final Fantasy's. I actually prefered the DS sequel to FF12.

Posted on Apr 11, 2009 7:22:57 PM PDT
Nick Jones says:
I hated FF8 so much I sold it immediately after I beat it. I played it so long ago I had forgotten some of the things I hated about it (thanks for reminding me of the card game.) But I do have to say it had some of the most spectacular cutscenes in any game I've owned; I'm thinking particularly of the parade - that was amazing!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 11, 2009 8:54:21 PM PDT
I actually spent almost as much time getting the complete set of cards as I did completing the story. I just never felt any connection to the characters. I don't know what it is, but nothign ever drew me into Squall or even Rinoa, and for me, once that happens I no longer really carwe about the game, even if the gameplay is the best. I said this before I believe, but I also hated the draw system and, as the previous few people said, the fact you bought almost NOTHING in the game. I truelly miss the days when you had to fully equip all party members, not just a weapon and a shield, or a weapon and accessories, or a weapon, a helmet, and body armor. To me, its just laziness since it saves vast amounts of time figuring out the calculations and equations to create so many pieces of equipment, as well as just coming up with ideas for them.

Posted on Apr 12, 2009 8:01:34 AM PDT
I didn't care for having the enemies level up with my characters, the Junction system was needlessly complicated, and don't even get me started about the whole 'Drawing Magic' thing. Still, the only real complaint I have about VIII can be summed up in two words; time compression.

Honestly, they never give an adequate explanation for why Ultimecia wants Time Compression so badly...Dr. Odine himself says that they don't know why she wants to compress time. I'm sorry, but this is the ultimate bad guy (er, bad girl)'s evil plan; surely they could have thought up some purpose to it than just because she could do it...I mean, what is she, Dr. Insano? (sorry...Spoony Experiment reference)

Ultimately, it's a final Fantasy, and with no exceptions so far, I've always had a good time with a Final Fantasy, even the painfully simple Mystic Quest.

Call me strange, but I actually liked the combat in XII. It was nice having my teammates set up to auto-heal and attack enemies' weaknesses. The only thing I felt was weak was the story, though I freely admit that it's probably because there wasn't any romance this time around. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a little romance in my RPGs.

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 1:48:17 PM PDT
I liked ff8..

some of my favorite parts were playing as Laguna and friends, going to the moon, finding out about the character's past, and some other things which i will leave unmentioned in case of spoiling. Regardless, i have it on PC, and i even have some modes for it. THE thing i don't like is the ending seems to be messed up on the PC VERSION, so i never got to see it correctly..and i love the spin on the villiain....but no spoiliers..hehe

Posted on Apr 21, 2009 6:54:02 PM PDT
Chuckie says:
Eric Berggren says:
"Final Fantasy VIII was not underrated. It did get the credit and respect it deserved. Most of the critics agreed it was a great game."

Exactly.

Also while I enjoyed the game at the time, and while the game was fun to play the story was embarassingly bad. The story had more holes in it than a pincushion, there were so many truly terrible moments and the dialogue is abysmal. Every Final Fantasy game in the series except 2 & 3 (the original japanese games) stands the test of time better than VIII.

Posted on Apr 23, 2009 5:07:22 PM PDT
Danny Frahm says:
Loved the first few weeks of FFVIII, but came to realise I hated the main character, the battle (draw) system, the storyline, the main character, the villians (post CD1), and the MAIN CHARACTER! Squall is the biggest loser and never changes ... he never learns.
All of this plus the stupid Renzuken was basically the best attack in the game and all others were just there to waste time. Battle tactic, keep squall almost dead and Renzuken till you win. Add a guard break for anything that takes a few hits.

Posted on Apr 28, 2009 12:06:48 PM PDT
M. Azar says:
I agree that Final Fantasy VIII was and, in many ways, still is underrated.

Posted on May 4, 2009 11:11:21 PM PDT
Old thread, but I felt compelled to go against the grain here and say that FF8 is OVER-rated. Yes, I loved FF7, but my first RPG was more like FF1 or Dragon Warriors. FF8 was everything the older FF's were not: it focused more on the graphics than anything else, including the plot, characters, etc. The characters were weak; Squall was a big baby. The battle system was broken; all you needed was those GF's until the last boss. I killed the last boss with practically 1 character -- overwhelmingly easy. Gold was pointless in the game, as was any other kind of equipment or stats besides the GF's. Having played every FF besides FF11, in my opinion FF8 is unequivocally the worst FF game. In fact, FF has gone downhill since...

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2009 9:32:09 PM PDT
Rico Penguin says:
What about FF12 sucked? I'm just curious. So far the only complaint I've heard was "It involved too much politics" which was funny because they liked FF7 the most which was almost entirely wrapped around the politics of a corporation and its effects on the planet.

But 12 was just amazing to me. The combat system was pretty creative (I enjoyed thinking up combos). There was no main character once you got everyone they gave absolutely everyone the same amount of face time which was nice. There was plenty of backstories, side missions, and various extras.

Personally 10 drove me bonkers if only because of Tidus, I've never seen a character so whiny in a game before or after. I mean sure I couldn't believe squall was emo but it wasn't as bad because I couldn't hear it. Tidus was just...abhorently terrible. Thankfully the supporting cast carried his immense slack.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2009 9:33:29 PM PDT
Rico Penguin says:
On a sidenote I find it funny that you didn't like one of the most popular games ever made :P (namely Final Fantasy Tactics). But to each their own.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2009 10:49:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2009 10:52:45 PM PDT
Jasonc506 says:
FF12 sucked for many reasons, how bout the rediculously high level enemies thrown in within the regular enemies, lack of save points for the first half mostly, the main character sucked (Tidus was way better), the other characters sucked too because the story doesn't focus on them at all ( they didn't have much depth to them), the story sucked (not near as exciting or emotional), the combat was decent at best, and the music wasn't as good.
So to sum it up all the good things about Final Fantasy (the great story, good characters, fun combat, amazing music) were all lost in FF12. I personally think square has completely lost it and am really not looking forward to FF13 too much, but we'll see. I miss the good old days when every game they made was a great game.

Posted on May 30, 2009 6:02:58 PM PDT
H. Nguyen says:
Personally I like FF12. As for FFVIII, I feel that it wasn't really underrated, but rather it lives in the shadow of FF7(which to me more unique and memorable). But yeah, FF8 was still great. IMO the only bad numbered FFs so far are 2 and 11.

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 10:59:23 AM PDT
Don Stone says:
Final Fantasy VIII shares the same curse that Legend of Zelda: The WindWaker did... following what's considered a masterpiece of a game. They were doomed to disappoint, and while I do think neither were quite as good as their predecessor, I think they were both great games (though I eventually got too bored with WindWaker to bother beating it...). FFVIII did have some things off about it... the combat system, which I liked, was a bit sloppy. The story was really cheesy sometimes, and at times didn't even make sense: "Hey guys, I think we all grew up in an orphanage together!" "What? Ohh yeahhh, I think I remember..." ...... lol wut?

FFVIII is a very good game. Is it the worst FF I've played? Probably, but that's because they're all amazing, just in different degrees. I'd give it about a 9.2/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2009 11:45:23 AM PDT
GUEST!! says:
This right here. That was actually the point I lost my faith in the game as well. I mean, not ONLY was the combat system broken, but the story was convoluted. Not ONLY did they reveal that they all happened to know each other and just "conveniently" forgot one another, but then Rinoa starts freaking the eff out because she's no longer the center of everyone's attention. I dated a girl like that. It's not cute. It's OBNOXIOUS.

I will say this, though. Of the entire series, 8 had by far some of the BEST music. And that's saying something as overally, Nobuo's work on Final Fantasy ranks among my favorite work on any videogame ever.

Posted on Aug 3, 2009 2:09:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2009 2:21:13 PM PDT
Campy says:
I couldn't be more vocal about how much I loathe and actively hate on FF8 as the cheesiest, most pretentious, most ill writ piece of garbage with the name Final Fantasy on it (ok, Dirge of Cerberus... ok, so the worst after Final Fantasy 5 in the main series)

Final Fantasy 8 in a nutshell-

Hi, I'm Squall, the tortured soul of a warrior/poet. My hot teacher is in love with me, but I think I have the hots for my class mate/rival who's a dead ringer for an aryan poster boy. My best friend is a weirdo and I ignore him disdainfully because this makes me cooler looking and draws attention from the fact that he's a better written character than I will ever be. My other travelling companions include a messed up cowboy with way better back story, some girl who has apparently no past and loves to use nunchucks and be cutesy, and this girl I don't know, who has slept around with the Aryan poster boy (my secret crush), and with whom I've fallen deeply in love. This romance of course will be the most botched up attempt at romance and place in question the place of love stories in video gaming for years to come. Oh, and guess what, we're all fighting this Witch being controlled by another witch from the future. The first witch, used to be our matron, because we were ALL orphans in the same orphanage! How's that for plot twists! That should make you forget that only 3 of a whole slew of characters have credible back stories!

.... kudos if you really like FF8, but I hated it with a passion. I didn't mind the battle system at all.

edit- FFT ftw.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 4:40:17 PM PDT
I think FF8 was a good game, but not a great one. While Squall was moody, at least he wasn't BARKING INSANE like Cloud (and Sephiroth, though I suppose villains are kinda expected to be insane). I tend to think he was a more careful thinker than just about any other FF character, and his general behavior actually made sense most of the time! There were a couple of wonky story elements (the whole orphanage thing), and some that it shares with the rest of the series (seriously, what's the difference between Ultimacia's motives and those of, say, Zeromus or Seymour?).

Posted on Aug 25, 2009 2:42:46 AM PDT
Cloud was not insane, play Final Fantasy on PSP and you'll see his back story and how he got that way, along with Sephiroth going from sane friend to insane nemesis...and as to FF8, the game itself I remember playing the demo when it first came out and I was so damn psyched about it, get to the boss fight and then the demo ended...so I picked up FF8 when it first came out, and I missed the submarine mini games, chocobo..and yeah..the card battle system SUCKED and hated how FFO took that idea and made it go online lol...here beat me with a cheap trick and take my most powerful cards so I can never win..

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2009 9:43:36 AM PDT
J.M. says:
Well I would compare Final Fantasy 8 to Majora's mask. They both followed amazing games. Despite being the worst of their series, they were still good games.

Posted on Aug 30, 2009 10:39:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2009 10:41:48 PM PDT
I must agree that FF VIII sucked. I got the game when it first came out and I still have yet to finish it. The battles are long and boring, the whole money thing is a joke, Leveling up is an even bigger joke. The summons getting hurt thing was stupid as all get out. Just for fun, here is how I personally enjoyed the Final Fantasy games:

FF I: Great, fantastic game. Still enjoy playing it to this day. 10/10
FF II: This one sucked even more than FF VIII. I don't care what is said, this game is NOT a RPG. 0/10
FF III: Okay, I'll admit I played this Final Fantasy on a NES emulator on my PC. I don't understand why it was never released over here because I loved it. Classic RPG at its finest. 10/10
FF IV: This one is my favorite of all of them. When it first came out I actually had a crush on Rydia :) Man I love this game. 10/10
FF V: Ah yes, this one brings back fond memories. Great game. CFRPG at its finest. Somewhat similar to FF III with the job system. Nothing like including a bunny like enemy that can kill you in one hit :) 10/10
FF VI: WOW! This one is totally awesome. The storyline, the cast of characters, the espers, the magic. And it was fun to play too :) 10/10
FF VII: This game was fantastic. A little polygony but great to play nonetheless. I especially loved the summons. Especially Neo Bahamut and Bahamut Zero :) 10/10
FF VIII: 0/10 Moving on.
FF IX: I loved the art style of the characters in this one. The characters were good, and I liked the trance system. I also liked the return of the blue magic system. 10/10
FF X: Tidus should have been named Whiner or wuss boy. Despised the bliss ball (or whatever it was called) sub game. I loved the summons. For some reason I didn't care to much
for the grid system or the turn based combat system. Overall though a good game 9/10
FF XI: Never played it. I don't care for on-line games. They get way to expensive to play.
FF XII: This one sucked as well. Bad enough that bunny girls couldn't even save it 0/10
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest: I really enjoy playing this one. As simple as it is, I can't seem to stop playing it. 10/10

Well, there you have it.

Posted on Aug 31, 2009 3:35:34 AM PDT
I really liked ff8. Its not the best one, but its still like a 9/10.

ff12 is my most favorite game ever. I don't understand why so many hate it.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 12:35:25 AM PDT
You know that you have played FF8 too much when you get the Lionheart on Disc 1. Best soundtrack of any FF game IMO. The Draw system made you not want to use the magic though, because it lowered your stats. That is the one heck of a kick in the face if you ask me.

Posted on Sep 5, 2009 1:35:38 AM PDT
I liked 7 and 8 the best of the PS1 games, and although I did like IX, I had gotten used to the futuristic feel of VII and VIII, and felt the return to medieval style was out of place, especially since X went back to the futuristic feel of VII and VIII. Still, I wouldn't mind having VIII and IX as downloadables PSP like VII, (Sony are you listening?) since they all were a a great deal of fun. I agree VIII was underrated. I didn't like it at first, (possibly since I first had it in Japan and didn't really read enough Japanese to get the story back then) but it grew on me and became one of my favorite games.

Posted on Sep 16, 2009 1:57:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 16, 2009 2:00:12 PM PDT
FF8 probably would have been a decent game if it wasn't a final fantasy. Since it was, it has to be compared to other final fantasies and..well...let's be honest...most of the others are far superior. Most people have already said the short comings of this game so I'll just gloss over what I hated.

I hated all the characters except for Zell. They were either pointless or they had no personality. EVERYONE OF THEM. Juncioning system was mehh. I didn't like it that I couldn't use magic unless I wanted my stats to take a hit. The enemies leveling with you was stupid. Why am I having just as much difficulty killing something at level 20 as I did at level 2? It makes absolutely no sense. The drawing system was crap. The GF's were ridiculous. I found it really annoying that I kept jumping back and forth between Laguna and Squall..but I didn't like either one of them so it didn't really matter. The story was not that great. I almost couldn't bare it when I learned that everyone coincidentally knew each other before hand and forgot because th GF's have some retarded side effect of causing you to lose your memory. Ultimecia could have been cool but they didn't really say anything about her ultimate goal. All you know is that she wants to compress time...Why? That's kind of a cool idea..but no explanation was given as to why? The only final fantasy that had a worse story was 12 and that's because it didn't have one.

I will give FF8 credit where it is due though. The last disk was amazing. The final dungeon was one of the best final dungeons in all of FF and all of video gaming. The music was amazing. And Zell was hilarious.

My first FF was 10, then 1,2,7,5,6,9,12,8 just to give you full reference of the order that I played them. 12 was the biggest heap of crap I've played. No story...and I mean NO story. EVERY character sucked except for Balthier. When I am forced to see the story through the eyes of a pre-pubescent kid that has absolutely no reason to even exist, let alone be the main character, the game can't be any good. The final dungeon was an air ship? The only...ONLY thing 12 had going for it IMO (and most people disagree) was the gameplay. I enjoyed the battle system.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2009
Latest post:  Nov 2, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions