Customer Discussions > RPG forum

The best JRPG or RPG you have ever played on the PS1.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 108 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2012 6:49:06 AM PDT
R. R. Pullen says:
Well said good sir.... or lady.

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 2:14:45 PM PDT
Raul Vito says:
Mmm close call between Chrono Cross & Vagrant Story

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 10:34:03 AM PDT
Xenogears, amazing story and I recall it being very fun to play

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:21:02 PM PDT
The Legend of Dragoon was my favorite, one of my favorite story lines in a game. The game mechanics were also original to other RPGs at the time.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:23:40 PM PDT
Oh and I forgot Vandal Hearts, the first one. Was very fun to play a few times through.

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 3:51:30 PM PDT
I'm a glutton for punishment so I'm going to say Tactics Ogre

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 5:02:05 PM PDT
If you liked Chrono Cross you should play "Chrono Trigger" the game Chrono Cross originated from. It was originally for Super Nintendo but was remade for playstation.
Your reply to GrimeyByNature's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

Posted on May 4, 2012 10:49:41 PM PDT
Three way tie between Dragon Warrior VII, Breath of Fire III, and Grandia I.

Posted on May 4, 2012 11:18:43 PM PDT
Legend of the dragoon...

Posted on May 6, 2012 1:58:50 PM PDT
Dagger says:
Man, seeing all these Legend of Dragoon fans makes me wonder why the sequel was canceled. As Rose would say, I would take "More and More" Legend of Dragoon anyday.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2012 2:14:47 PM PDT
tell me about it...tbh legend of dragoon was the first rpg i played and besides trying to get myself to get passed disc 2 of both ff8 and 9 i didnt play many rpgs on ps1...but it had me hooked and still has me hooked...im tempted every day to pop it in my ps3 for old times sake for the 5th playthrough but i keep hoping that sony will release it on psn so i can play it on my psp...I just hope that if they do make a sequel its before the ps4 because i personally dont think im going to buy one...if they make it for the ps4, well they just sold me a console

Posted on May 6, 2012 4:40:11 PM PDT
Bruce Kent says:
Best one I played: Final Fantasy 7
Best story: Final Fantasy 9
My personal favorite: Legend of Legaia. Legaia had an interesting turn-based combat system where you chose attacks based on directions that represented your arms and legs. Various combinations of directions resulted in Arts, Super Arts, Hyper Arts and even Miracle Arts that could be combined for more damage as you leveled up and were able to chain together more attacks. It's also one of the hardest games I've ever played with intense boss fights that could last for half an hour or more and a decent story.

You go around with a Ra-Seru living machine-magic-thing on your arm reviving Genesis Trees to clear a terrible Mist that covers the world and turns the magical Seru evil. Plus, when you get new armor and weapons, your characters actually wear it in battle and it has a very memorable musical score.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:21:39 AM PDT
K. Dolsophon says:
Thank you my friend for sharing the same passion with FF IV. To this date, I still don't think any game come close to how innovating and near perfect storyline of FF IV. Not even FF VII. Sorry for all the FF VII fans.

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:28:09 AM PDT
new Tron says:
I agree. It was the first time that I was ever deeply affected by a video game on an emotional level. I'd been gaming since the Atari 2600 and had always enjoyed the fun that video games brought to my life. But Final Fantasy IV showed me that video games could actually provide transcendent emotional experiences, like a good novel or film can, but in a way that is completely unique to the medium.

I think Final Fantasy VI improved on a lot of what made Final Fantasy IV so amazing, but Final Fantasy IV did it first, and it will probably always remain my favorite game because of that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 4:15:18 PM PDT
WolfPup says:
Final Fantasy 9 for me.

Played Suikoden 1...started it twice actually, but I can't really finish it. Ditto for Chrono Cross (actually got LET far the second time I started it-music's excellent on Chrono Cross though!)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:11:46 PM PDT
LET? I liked Chrono Cross, although the characterizations are thin and the story doesn't really pick up until the end. The atmosphere and music alone made it worth it for me. I hear Suikoden II and V are great, but the only one I tried was III and it put me to sleep.

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:05:30 PM PDT
Loki says:
Suikoden 1 and Alundrea are my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:03:48 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
Oh that was supposed to say "less" far lol. And I started up my save file on my PS3 a while back, only couldn't remember what the heck I'd been doing when I quit. I should sell it, I guess, though it's probably worth nothing at this point and if nothing else I dig the music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:43:38 AM PDT
Davidovich53 says:
Legend of Mana. Not only my favorite PS1 JRPG of all time, but my favorite PS1 game of all time, all genres included.

The hand-drawn aesthetic style was fresh and vibrant, combat was action-oriented and interesting, I loved the weapon forging, farming, instrument playing, pet raising, great musical score, delighted in the quirky, interesting characters.

My only complaint was the fragmented, episodic structure of the narrative (which made it hard to keep up with all the characters and their individual story arcs), and the blank slate of a protagonist who had no personality at all.

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:05:16 AM PDT
Would really have to go with Legend of Legia and a close second to Legend of dragoon

Posted on May 15, 2012 9:32:56 AM PDT
Mike says:
King's Field I and II,
Castlevania, Symphony of the Night
Final Fantasy VII
Suikoden II

Some of my favorite PS1 games, in no particular order.

Posted on May 15, 2012 8:17:31 PM PDT
Atredies85 says:
For best all-around RPG...I'm going to have to go with Suikoden II like many of the others are saying on this discussion.
- Solid story with great characters;
- Party customization adds spice and replay value to the game;
- The side quests and mini-games keep you busy when you want a diversion from the main storyline. I personally rather enjoyed the Iron Chef competitions and recipe collecting ;)
- Best of all, in my opinion, is the variety of game mechanics involved...from the regular turn-based random encounters, to the one-on-one duals, to the wide-scale strategy warfare involving all your characters.

Honerable mentions to Breath of Fire III, Wild Arms II, and Legend of Dragoon :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 15, 2012 8:23:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 15, 2012 8:30:56 PM PDT
Atredies85 says:
Not many people ever mention Parasite Eve anymore! I vote you work on that :)

And if you haven't played Parasite Eve 2...I wouldn't consider it because I honestly think they tried too hard to fix what wasn't broken in the first one! ;)

Happy gaming!

In reply to an earlier post on May 16, 2012 12:49:19 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
I loved Parasite Eve 2. Think it's one of the best survival horror games ever made.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 7:34:34 PM PDT
Bestia-Shawn says:
I know I said Xenogears in my previous post. But another RPG I love from ps1 era is Front Mission 3. Go play it on the PSN guys. $5.99 for 60 hour game is Win.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  64
Total posts:  108
Initial post:  Feb 15, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions