Customer Discussions > RPG forum

What was absolute best game you've ever played? CHOOSE ONLY ONE!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 637 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 20, 2010 8:42:05 AM PDT
Mr Francis says:
I have played many great games in my life, and on most of these posts we will listed quite a few games when someone asks what's the best game ever.

But if you had to choose JUST ONE game to be number one of all time what would it be?

For me, I have given it a lot of thought. I play just about all genre of games (FPS, Sports, RTS, RPG, Action/Adventure are my favorites). But in all I have never gotten the satisfaction from a game as far as depth, story, time to complete, and one of the best endings like I did when I played FINAL FANTASY VII. Prior to this I did not like RPGs so I never played them before. I have to say this is the best game I have ever played.

So for me FINAL FANTASY VII

Posted on May 20, 2010 10:58:21 AM PDT
Final Fantasy on the NES. First RPG on a console that drew me in, until then I was strictly PC. 1990 was a good year.
The spells didn't take 3 minutes to perform and the characters didn't have whiny voices. Old school goodness.
I have the re-issues for the PSX and GBA which I like to play through at least twice a year.

Posted on May 20, 2010 11:02:18 AM PDT
I agree with you on that. Hands down final fantasy 7 for me too. The game was amazing. I never had a game that could get me so wrapped up in the story.

Posted on May 20, 2010 9:04:41 PM PDT
Hessky says:
Absolute best ever? X-Com. No game ever gave me so many sleepless nights and screams at having to reload. Story slowly, but surely sucks you in as well.

Posted on May 20, 2010 10:20:58 PM PDT
Chameleon says:
Super Mario Bros. 3 - spent sooooooo many hours on that game growing up. It's still one of my top faves. I'd list more that come close or tied but you asked for one so ... after a lot of thought I had to pick this one.

Posted on May 20, 2010 11:18:05 PM PDT
Mikal says:
Wing Commander - the reason I wanted a PC back in the day.

Posted on May 21, 2010 5:29:13 PM PDT
The best game hands down for me would also be Final Fantasy VII, cliche a choice as it may be. No other game has stuck with me as much as that game and it's incredible cast has. Before then I'd played many RPGs, including the NES and SNES installments of the series but to this day I remember every moment of that immence game like the back of my hand from all the times I replayed it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2010 11:09:14 PM PDT
Rashad says:
Lunar 2 is truely a masterpeice RPG. I've played RPGs before and fell in love with them but Lunar 2: Eternal Blue has a special place in my heart. It has all of the elements a good rpg should have.

Posted on May 22, 2010 12:34:32 AM PDT
count me in with Final Fantasy 7, I didn't even have to think about it, hands down the best game ever (remake, can I have it, lol?)

Posted on May 22, 2010 6:21:47 PM PDT
Tasuki says:
Final Fantasy VI FTW!! No villian can hold a candle to Kefka that guy is Final Fantasy's version of Joker.

Posted on May 26, 2010 12:52:27 PM PDT
Yukio says:
A retro guy here! I'm about Ultima IV. It was the forerunner of decesion based rpgs as far as cmoputers went and it was NOT easy at all. You really had to put your thinking cap on quiet often. I started as a shepard and boy was that the hardest start of my life in a game!

Posted on May 26, 2010 5:29:15 PM PDT
M. Powell says:
Demon's Souls

Been playing it since it came out and just can't stop. I've made about 8 different characters just to keep going back and playing it again and again.

Posted on May 26, 2010 6:16:22 PM PDT
Spade says:
Pokemon Red/Blue XD
If that doesn't count then I'd say I've probably logged the most hours on Bloody Roar. (THE ORIGINAL!!!) All the new ones aren't nearly as good.

Posted on May 26, 2010 8:13:31 PM PDT
D. Dodson says:
I second Demon's Souls. Amazing atmosphere, multiplayer is really unique and adds alot to the game. Just love the whole vibe of that game and probably after all the super in depth story RPGs played over the years the minimal story was really refreshing.

Posted on May 27, 2010 8:46:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 8:51:52 AM PDT
While I too have played a many great games across all generations of video games, hands down the best game I have ever played would have to be Diablo 2 (Pre-expansion). Anyone who played that then would know that you actually could have unique builds, unique items, etc... Rare and magical items had the best properties, adding WAY more variety to the character building aspect of the game. Before all the best items became the Uniques/Sets and eventually runeword items...

I spent COUNTLESS hours playing that pre and post expansion pack on Battle.net... I think I may have beat single player once, but since it was co-op and the game didn't change that is kind of irrelevant. It was the pinnacle of its kind during the time (graphics, atmosphere, music, gameplay, everything). Still today Hack and Slash CRPG's clone the core elements of this game so blatantly... The only one I have been able to really play since Diablo 2 was the 'Eastern Sun' Mod for Diablo 2... That Mod brought back the appeal of preexpansion Diablo 2, post expansion.... Spent a many hours with friends on private servers on that one too..

In conclusion, Diablo 3 could not possibly come any sooner unless it suprised release right about... now

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2010 12:37:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 27, 2010 12:57:24 PM PDT
J. B. Hogan says:
Anyone here not seconding X-Com probably just didn't play it when it came out. :D

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 7:25:10 AM PDT
Portal.

There's been games I've played longer, games that got me into gaming, games that I still play over and over.
But Portal was the most fun I've had in ages. The humor was brilliant, dark enough to suit my twisted tastes and the gameplay was fresh compared to the generic console junk that's been out since late PS2.

Games like ICO, Mirrors Edge, FEAR, Splinter Cell, all games that I love and would replay. But for the best game I've ever played, has to be Portal.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 9:55:41 AM PDT
Final Fantasy 6 (used to be 3 when it was released) for the SNES. Hands down.

Lunar Silver Star Story Complete wins second place.

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 2:12:17 PM PDT
ĴĴ says:
Well, the best game is different than my favorite game.

Metroid Prime is the best game I've played. It combined adventure gaming with an FPS system to make a really long, really fun game.

However, my favorite game is Dark Fall: The Journal, a horror type adventure game that was chilling and fun!

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 2:21:37 PM PDT
KOTOR

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 2:36:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2012 1:26:46 AM PDT
Technosapien says:
Final Fantasy XII

Posted on Jun 1, 2010 4:56:45 PM PDT
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 1:43:45 AM PDT
Adam Sams says:
Star Ocean Second Story is Number 1
Followed by an amount so small it can't be measured Xenogears.

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 2:38:53 PM PDT
A. Morgan says:
Planescape: Torment

Posted on Jun 2, 2010 3:54:48 PM PDT
I'm going to have to second Castlevania: SOTN I have spent so many hours playing and replaying the game. Finding every treasure, and breaking the game in half.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

ARRAY(0x95777a38)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  529
Total posts:  637
Initial post:  May 20, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 26 customers

Search Customer Discussions