Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > RPG forum

The RPG you never tell people you actually like

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 238 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2008 12:22:40 AM PST
Moonnbeam says:
Everyone has one. That one game that if you mention to other RPG fans you get nothing but hell for. But hey, maybe you'll encourage someone to try a game they never would before simply because it was uncool. Since when have we really worried about that anyway...?
What's mine? Ok, I'm going to be brave...Final Fantasy X-2. That's right, I liked it. I didn't say I loved it, but I liked it (and didn't resell my copy, but don't tell anyone)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2008 1:10:45 AM PST
Kevin J. says:
I will say that I did buy FF X-2 but I do not suggust it to anyone (I sold it after a couple of months) really didnt enjoy it at all. But as for rpg's that I would be embarrased to say that I own, either Shadow madness a bit old school and somewhat childish but a pretty cool rpg in my opinion. The other one that I would say is the Alter Iris games.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 9:36:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2008 9:39:58 AM PST
FF 7. I actually love it but anytime I bring it up I sound bitter because I bash all the fan-boyism that has spawned around it.

For its' time FF 7 was revolutionary but in retrospect I have seen RPGS with deeper characters and better stories so I cannot grasp why it is remembered about a decade later yet awesome games like Shadow Hearts Covenant, Persona Fes, Digital Devil saga, and Persona 4 will gradually fade into obscurity.

I suppose that's my adoration/hate relationship with FF 7. I got into playing it, can acknowledge it is a good game, but the "fans" worship it so much they always put it above other games that are more deserving of praise.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 10:48:55 AM PST
D. Chandon says:
I think we all have those guilty pleasures, personally I love Final Fantasy III, or V depending on which side of the pond you're on, sure it might be low rez and the old school pen and paper RPG, but for some reason I get right into it everytime I go through it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 10:54:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2008 10:55:54 AM PST
Pokemon. Definitely Pokemon. I mean... for old-school RPG gaming, what's not to like? There are balanced strengths and weaknesses, neat monster design (monster... not character), tons of creatures to collect, lots of grinding, and strategic boss battles.

Too bad the card game and the tv show gave it the reputation of being a children's fad. It really is a great game for any hardcore RPG lover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 11:26:22 AM PST
Him says:
'Two Worlds'...played through it twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2008 11:47:36 AM PST
FF X-2 was where FF and square lost all my respect. What a piece of garbage. One of the few games that I only played a few hours before deciding my life was better not wasted on it. Seriously, young girls singing pop? ARE YOU F(*& KIDDING ME?!? Talk about a cash-in, take everything good from FF and that's what you have left.

This is not a personal attack, FF X-2 is just one of those games that evokes hate from me. If it were one of those fools walking down the street in GTA, it would be the one that I keep shooting and beating into the ground until the body disappeared.

Now I do love some oldschool FF3/6, 5, any of those "spritey" type games. I love that art and there are so many you can get for SNES on PSP and the graphics look amazing! If you have not seen them on PSP set up correctly, you don't know what you are missing. Properly translated FF6 + many games that were either never released or never translated to english.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 12:59:47 AM PST
just a gamer says:
Kingdom Hearts.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 4:35:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2008 5:23:49 AM PST
Robespierre says:
I suppose the question for me would be, "what are you enjoying right now that you feel embarrassed to mention?"

The answer to that isn't nearly as credible as FFVII or (from the opposite POV) FFVIII. I'm talking about things like Valhalla Knights 2: universally despised by critics and everyone else who didn't comprise the pool of Japanese fans polled in the process of creating the game. I've been playing it for about five days periodically and have enjoyed it the whole time.

Etrian Odyssey is another stripped-down RPG I enjoyed from beginning to end (critics liked it a bit more than others I've mentioned). I also like playing Eternal Poison, which few people seem to respect.

Will these games make my all-time greatest list? Of course not. But truthfully, I've enjoyed playing them viscerally in ways that I didn't the first Valkyrie Profile (even though I loved VP on a conceptual/story level).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 5:19:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2008 5:20:30 PM PST
FryBaby says:
I loved king's field for the ps1. there I said it. I still consider it everybit as good as tomb raider

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 5:52:17 PM PST
Dude, I still consider King's Field 1 and 2 for PS1 among my favorite games to date. I am pretty sure I have stated that already! But you do it no justice comparing it to tomb raider lol. KF had great music, story, exploration - those games were great fun.

I often search "king's field 5" etc. to try and find if there will be a new one. Recently (last week) I actually returned a hit from a game being developed for PS3 that, while not in the same storyline, is being done by some of the same people in a similar style.

I already bought a PS3 for MGS4 (and then sold it) but I would likely buy another for a new KF game.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 6:25:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2008 6:28:13 PM PST
FryBaby says:
Yeah I loved how massive that world seemed and the puzzles they used and the first person fighting style. I compared it to the first tomb raider cause that was exactly what I loved about that game minus the first person style. Still both games impressed me alot to this day. I really haven't been impressed with any other game as much as those except for Xenogears, Bioshock and Oblivion. I'm sure there are lots of other games that other people love as much as those but those were the ones I experienced firsthand that I love. You know I tried to love king's field 2 when I played it but I honestly didn't love it no where near as much as I loved that first one. I still think alot higher of it than 90 percent of the square enix stuff but I just didn't love it like I did that first king's field. I do feel a need to throw in the alien trilogy game on the ps1. That one impressed me also.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 10:07:53 PM PST
A. Madden says:
Sure, there are many RPGs I have that "nobody" played. Such as Suikoden II (cannot recommend this one enough), the Valkyrie Profile games, Legend of Dragoon, etc. to name a few...But if I had to say which games embarrassed me that I still enjoyed immensely, I'd have to say Operation Darkness and all seven .Hack games. Op Darkness had nazis, nazi-zombies, werewolves with bazookas, vampires, and dragons....all in a SRPG environment. What's not to love? As for the .Hack games, idk they're not exactly games you play over and over or anything, and the fact that they were released as "complete" singular games instead of two big ones, or even a reduced-price boxset has always bugged me, but they're still fun titles, especially for people with a completionist itch. As for FFX-2...I still own my copy, but ever since I got a 99.9% completion run that didn't give me the mascot outfits just because one bandit got away from me on that beginner's mission that gives you the Gunmage dressphere at the start of the game...I've always quit after a couple hours after every attempt I've made to play it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2008 12:18:34 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 27, 2009 12:56:22 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2008 1:37:37 AM PST
I've never seen anyone bring up Tsugunai: Atonement - I really liked that game. For the usual reasons - most notably the music. However, my disc had a perfect circular scratch around the outside edge that I never noticed until hitting a spot near the end that it would freeze on. Still to this day I want to finish the game and/or play it again.

That was also one of the rarities I picked up blindly and ended up being one I never forgot/one I have good memories of. King's Field and Xenogears also fill out that short list.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2008 1:32:13 PM PST
M. Rynich says:
It has to be something your embarrassed about...Pokemon is a good embarrassing pleasure for a full grown man, but I'd have to go with a the 1-2 combo of Saga Frontier and Unlimited Saga. Both games were almost universally panned by critics and fans alike, but I loved every minute of them. Sure they were a bit frustrating, but there was alot to like if you bite your lip through some of the BS interface stuff. Saga Frontier had a truly novel and refressing setting, and an almost intimidate amount of non-linearity in character recruitment, story progression, and skill advancement. I could still play that game today, and experience something new. Unlimited Saga took way more patience to appreciate. Most of the faults reviewers and fans post about the game stems from it's overly frustrating interface, and complete lack of tutorials or guidance of any kind. Alot of the functionality they thought was missing from the game was actually in there through some impossibly cryptic command. If you got past that and the large amount of randomness in the level/skill progress, you got another game with a very novel setting and art direction. Learning to time your attacks correctly to get good hits on the attack wheels actually was fun to me (though most people say the attack wheels are there main complaint about the game). Both games use a semi random skill level up system that I actually find addictive. I love sparking new abilities. I think the light bulb above the character's head and the chime they sound off when the character uses a new ability is just genious. Also the soundtracks for both games are amazing IMO.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2008 2:08:11 PM PST
Nicholas says:
Quest 64. Need I say more?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 10:13:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2008 10:21:49 AM PST
Well it is sort of embarrassing to say I like FF 7. Normally I love under-dog companies like Atlus. FF7 is so "cheesy" in some aspects it is hard to admit I enjoyed it especially after seeing all the dual wielding emo-epic exploits and bad story telling in Advent children.

FF7 is a game that spawned so many followings and yet if you REALLY take the time to delve into its' mechanics and setting it was not the best the FF series ever offered. It was still great back in the day but there were better games before it and after it so why the big fuss?

But if you mean RPG games I enjoyed which everyone hated I'd have to go with Middle Earth 3rd age. It was a very "final fantasy esque" turn based random encounter rpg set in Middle Earth and yet I was addicted to it even though the characters were lack luster.

Pretty much you were the "nobodies" following in the foot steps of Gandolf and the fellowship while they took all the glory. Seriously I adore this game and I cannot even explain why.

Lastly Arcana Heart is a game I thought was one of the best 2d fighters ever but as this pertains to RPGs I suppose that is irrelevant. Still to be a guy at 31 trying to have a reputable self image who suddenly admitted I liked a fighting game of all under-aged girls was like being poor Jesus nailed to the cross. I caught a lot of flak from that guilty pleasure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 10:57:18 AM PST
Legend of Legaia!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2008 12:46:28 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2008 12:49:14 PM PST
K. Sutton says:
From what I've read in this thread, I didn't realize some of the games that I have played and enjoyed were considered "uncool" and I should be embarrased to mention them. LoL. When I was playing Legend of the Dragoons I was really, really into that game. Also I enjoyed Legend of Legaia but it was really hard to level up characters, felt like I had to grind all the time, but I liked that game (although I dont think I finished it, I vaguely remember a really tall tower and lots of hard monsters!) I have a Pokemon Pearl for my DS which I do admittedly take a quick look around before I pull it out and play away. In fact I think I looked at the cashier when I purchased my copy practically challenging them to say something about a grown woman buying a pokemon game. LoL =o)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 9:22:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2008 9:31:40 PM PST
W. Zhang says:
FFX-2, even though I was never embarrassed to admit it since I thought it was a damn fine game. Heck, the first time I went to college I skipped the entire Finals week so I could achieve 100% completion, including Via Infinito :D. Never understood the compulsion of the masses to berate and spit on the game. Even the smallest hint that I enjoyed it resulted in an abundant amount of flames. :\

But an RPG that I am truly embarrassed to admit that I even played, let alone enjoyed an inkling of, is World of Warcraft. This isn't meant to inflame, I enjoyed the setting and bits of the gameplay, but being a Lorewhore and/or Storybuff I couldn't find enough to get me hooked.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2009 2:17:05 PM PST
Startropics and Skies of Arcadia!! w00t!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 1:16:40 PM PST
I agree with FFX-2. I loved the battle system, but disliked the story. The characters all seemed completely changed from 10. I played it until about close to 20%, but sold it because I couldn't stand the story anymore. Story is so important to me, so I love Chrono Trigger and Kingdom Hearts series. I could't talk about these games to other RPG fans at my college, because the graphics alone caused most of my favorite RPGs to be labeled as kiddy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2009 1:32:36 PM PST
"kiddy" true talk of ignorance. I still prefer those graphics to a large percent of any games I have played since. Especially displayed on a PSP system. (SNES on PSP) Not to mention there hasn't been a system since SNES with so many games with great stories. All with "kiddy" graphics lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 8:45:45 AM PST
I enjoyed the first 4 .hack games and Legend of Legaia but never replayed them, and likely never will. Probably the only decent answer I can give here for a game I've played more than once is The Legend of Dragoon.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the RPG forum (120 discussions)

This discussion

Discussion in:  RPG forum
Participants:  183
Total posts:  238
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2008
Latest post:  Oct 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions