Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

The Science Fiction Forum Heartbeat Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 8:22:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:24:13 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I don't have anything to say, however, the forum seems a little bit deadish or maybe in the doldrums, and while I don't have anything else to contribute, I'd just like to do or say something to proclaim:

"It's alive!"

Please feel free to feed it and keep it that way.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:50:06 PM PST
2theD says:
If I feed it, will a spammer bite my hand?

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 6:19:48 AM PST
Lilacteapot says:
I just finished Second Shift - Order (Part 7 of the Silo Series) (Wool) by Hugh Howey and I am now reading The Martian by Andy Weir.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:14:53 AM PST
2theD says:
My recent reading for the year...
Book #92 Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes
Book #93 Space Lords - Cordwainer Smith
Book #94 A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
Book #95 The Best Japanese Science Fiction Stories - John L. Apostolou & Martin H. Greenberg
Book #96 NOW: Alex Benedict 3: Seeker - Jack McDevitt
Book #97 NEXT: Classical Myths 2: The Pollinators of Eden - John Boyd
Book #98 NEXT: Shadow of the Scorpion - Neal Asher
Book #99 NEXT: Building Harlequin's Moon - Larry Niven & Brenda Cooper
Book #100... Yet to be determined...

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 11:57:54 AM PST
I'm currently in the middle of the Wool Omnibus (1-5) and Containment (about a colony on Venus).

I also started The Host by the gal who wrote the Twilight series (which I have no interest in reading or watching any of the movies). It's actually pretty good so far. It's about parasite aliens who have taken over people's bodies.

I'm also reading the old book Timescape by Gregory Beneford.

That's more than I usually read concurrently, but I had to do something during the 6-day power failure I had here in NY from hurricane Sandy.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:45:43 PM PST
The Host has 2043 reviews??? Well CRAP!!!

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 7:25:51 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:27:04 PM PST
Mike 2 D:

Consider yourself spammed.

BWAAAHAHHA!

PS--Anybody heard from Ronald C. lately?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:54:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 7:58:33 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
It's a good bet that if it hears us its ears will start burning.

I'm starting this now: The January Dancer

and this next: Desolation Road

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 3:27:16 AM PST
2theD says:
There's been a lot of hoopla over Wool in the science fiction forum. The more popular a book is, the more likelier I'm to avoid it. Is it any good Bob? I trust your verdict rather than the reviews. Timescape wasn't any good--never thought much Benford.

Ronald is busy prodding and probing Marilyn in he "politics" forum. Oh, Mr. Craig!

Mr. Rogers> mixed reviews for January Dancer, looks good though.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 7:11:10 AM PST
M-I-K-E 2theD,

I felt that Wool 1 was a very good 40-page short story. It was worth reading. It concerns a 100+ floors silo that people live in because the outside world has been devastated. People periodically go nuts and are banished to the outside. It's not a full book, but a short story with a definite conclusion (which is really nice to have for once). I didn't realize that these are really mini-stories when I bought the ominbus. I managed to get the omnibus for 99 cents, so that's why I've continued reading. The omnibus is now $6 (ouch..don't bother).

I just checked, and the first one is free. I recommend picking it up for a nice short story, since if you don't like it you haven't invested that much time-> Wool

Wool 2 continues the story of the silo (about 70 pages). It wasn't bad, but not great. It doesn't tell you anything about the outside world, only the silo.

I'm 2/3 of the way through Wool 3. It's now just OK and tending more towards intrigue/politics of who will take over as the new head of the silo and the secrets being kept from the general population. Wool 3 is about 100 pages. [Even though I have this on my Kindle, the table of contents lists the page numbers]. Again, nothing about the outside world, only the silo.

I am getting a bit bored at this point, so unless it picks up I'm not sure why it has so many 5-star reviews. I did see one 2.5 star review that says it picks up again in books 4 and 5.

I hope this helps!
PS...I agree with your assessment of Timescape, but I'm a sucker for timeline and paradox stories.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012 9:19:57 PM PST
Jed Fisher says:
This forum does seem like an echo chamber most of the time. I'm very surprised to find a new thread so I'll add my comments.
The wool sample put me to sleep. No two readers are alike, and I'm so happy for all the readers who found what they wanted with Wool. But it's not for me.
I did just finished Admiral Who? (A Spineward Sectors Novel:) and I really enjoyed it. Sure, it still needs a good copy edit, but anyway, the story was awesome and really shined through.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 11:23:13 AM PST
M. Carole says:
I just re-read Ready Player One. If you haven't read it, the plotting is great and it will appeal to anyone that remembers the 80's. I never tried Wool or the Host for the same reason - if it's overly popular, my iconoclast status becomes threatened.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:41:43 PM PST
Here's my contribution, in case someone wants new screensaver material:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap121118.html
BEAUTIFUL CATHEDRAL OF STARS BEING BORN!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:53:40 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I've been debating on whether or not to read Ready Player One. I might give it a try.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:55:25 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I never finished Wool. I just didn't get why it is such a big deal and thought it was boring.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 3:59:19 PM PST
Old Rocker,

The first part of Wool was a very good short SF story, I thought, so I could see why people wanted to read more. According to the author, he wrote the other 'books' because people kept asking him for more to see what happened in the silo. Unfortunately, so far the rest of the 'books' haven't lived up to that first part. But everyone's taste is different. At least knowing the first part is a self contained story and only about 40 pages lets people read it without spending too much time reading a whole 300 page book and being bored for most of it. That's why I went into a bit of detail on it.

And you can never tell with a story arc. I bought Baxter's Flood since I had downloaded the first chapter and it was really good, and then I was totally bored by the rest of the book. It was like the movie 2012 but without the action!! So when he came out with the sequel Ark there was no way I was going to buy it, but I was curious on what happened and so I got it from the library. And that book I loved!

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 4:12:32 PM PST
A couple of years ago I bought Stephenson's Cryptonomicon. I hated it -- it is one of the few books I put down and never finished. I was totally bored. And...I love doing cryptoquote puzzles and taught high school Mathematics for a few years, too! Yet, I pretty much liked his Anathem (thank goodness, since it was over 1,000 pages!)

BTW...I've continued reading 'The Host'. Definitely it's becoming more of a 'chick lit love story' than pure SF as it's progressing, so I can see why they want to make a movie out of it. Oh, I love him. Oh, the alien loves him too. Oh, he hates 'us'. Oh, I can't tell him. Sigh. ;-)

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 6:07:25 PM PST
The Blade says:
I'm currently reading Patrick Lee's Breach series. Only on first book of the trilogy, but it is good so far.

The Breach

Ghost Country

Deep Sky

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 10:51:44 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Just reread this old Tor Double: No Truce With Kings / Ship of Shadows (Tor Double # 5)

Two top notch stories, the Leiber in particular is a gem.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:26:46 AM PST
2theD says:
This most recent Niven novel I read was Smoke Ring (1987) but I've also read the collections of The Draco Tavern (2006) and Rainbow Mars (1999). My dad gave me Building Harlequin's Moon (2005) in the last year or two and I'm only now getting around to it... though I'm only 40% of the way through it, I gotta say I like it very much--great world building, sense of wonder, and moral dilemma development. Anyone else tackle this one recently?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 10:51:42 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
Were those the books where one story was at the front and you would flip the book over and upside down to read the other story from the "back?"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:54:04 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Yeppers, as I recall they were an attempt to revive the old Ace Doubles.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:12:26 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Ah, Ace Doubles, that's what I remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:18:11 PM PST
I love the old ACE doubles. When I read them I get high on the heady smell of the pulp paper.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:36:00 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"the forum seems a little bit deadish or maybe in the doldrums"

Well, Marilyn *has* been a little bitsy occupied saving the Free-World in the Politics forum since before the election. LOL

I hadn't really read any science fiction since Miéville's Embassytown until I read Cloud Atlas earlier this autumn. Got kind of burned out with all the nonsense threads around here. (That hasn't changed much, I see. Oh well.)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  18
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions