Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Looking for 'Earth-based' Sci-Fi only

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2013 6:18:59 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 6:00:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:31:23 AM PST
If you haven't read it, how can you "totally love" it?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 10:57:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 10:57:43 AM PST
Tom Rogers says:
probably the movie of the same name.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:54:23 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 11:56:19 AM PST
Kayleigh says:
I read the book (I, Robot) and saw the movie and I prefer the book although the movie has its good points and I quite enjoyed it, too. If you liked the movie then a few Earth-based SF novels I'd suggest are Memoria. A Corporation of Lies (An Action-Packed Techno-Thriller) which is very much in the same vein, or anything written by William Gibson, especially Neuromancer or Burning Chrome. It's the kind of near-future technothrillers that I personally like very much.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 3:26:26 PM PST
Christine,

It's hard to create a list of recommendations without knowing how much other sci-fi you've read and/or liked. Communion isn't typically listed as sci-fi, and Coma is more of a medical thriller.

Have you read any of the classics like "The Time Machine" and "War of the Worlds"? The original "Frankenstein"? You should try those.

Since you liked "Coma", have you read "The Andromeda Strain" or more recently by Crichton Prey? If you liked those, you could also try Bear's Blood Music

And if you like Earth invasion stories like War of the Worlds, Footfall is very good.

But you are doing yourself a disservice if you don't read Ender's Game.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 3:27:01 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
A couple that you might check out...

Society of the Mind: A Cyberthriller by Eric L. Harry

Conquistador: A Novel of Alternate History by S. M. Stirling

Stirling has several series that you might like..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 3:43:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 17, 2013 4:26:35 PM PST
C. Hall says:
Yes, I did mean that I own a DVD of I,Robot. I have read Andromeda Strain,but none of the others that you all have mentioned,so it looks like you have given me a good start,thank you. New authors to check out as well. :D

The ones I've put on my TBR list already are~
Society of the Mind: A Cyberthriller by Eric L. Harry
Sphere by Michael Crichton
Prey by Michael Crichton
Footfall by Larry Niven
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 7:47:13 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
you'll probably like "Sphere", you might want to start with it.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 11:37:25 PM PST
keep in mind that I, Robot is not a novel, it's a collection of short stories named after one of those stories. Well worth reading, should in fact replace my own copy which is getting rather dog-eared after something like 25 years :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 1:21:56 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Good to know,thanks.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 2:09:29 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
I like Stephen Baxter.

http://www.shelfari.com/series/Manifold

http://www.shelfari.com/series/NASA-Trilogy

DL

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 2:24:16 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
BLADE RUNNER ,book and Film.THE DREAM MASTER,COSMOPOLIS etc,....

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 5:31:46 AM PST
W.T. says:
How about post-apocalyptic? That's earth-based? A mainstream place to start would be "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Although it's typically not indexed as sci-fi because the author mainly writes non-sci-fi, it is very much a sci-fi novel and very representative of its sub-genre. And it won a pulitzer!

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 5:54:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2013 3:53:44 AM PST
C. Hall says:
Moonseed by Baxter sounds interesting.

Wasn't really a fan of Bladerunner. Soylent Green and Runaway were both better for me.

No not really interested in post-apocalptic,except never forgot the movie~ Soylent Green, it was AWESOME!

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 7:38:00 AM PST
Christine,

I've read lots of Stephen Baxter's books, and you may or may not like many of them. Moonseed is very good. Flood is post-apocalyptic (the whole Earth floods, I found it totally boring), and it's sequel Ark is basically a space generation ship story (I really liked it).

My favorite Baxter book is The Time Ships which picks up right where "The Time Machine" left off and is written in the same style of H.G.Wells, but goes off into very very bizarre territory so you may or may not like it. Basically, the time traveller hops back in his machine to get back to Weena, but finds Time has been altered.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 7:39:52 AM PST
Dog Lover says:
Ships was my favorite too. I'm really loving the Manifold series now though.

DL

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 3:13:17 PM PST
I read "Manifold" as "Manfluid!" Where is my brain? :-0

Posted on Feb 24, 2013 10:16:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2013 10:35:35 AM PST
I can think of a number of these that I've read over the years:

"Why Do Birds" by Damon Knight -- Pre-apocalyptic novel in which aliens warn of the impending destruction of Earth. Fortunately they have a plan to save everyone ...

"Eater" by Gregory Benford -- An intelligent black hole comes to visit.

"Daemon" and "Freedom (TM)" by Daniel Suarez -- Basically cyberpunk; a rules-based expert system threatens society. Near the end, "Daemon" features possibly the funniest use of a glasses-based UI that I've ever read.

"Rewind" by Terry England -- Aliens visit earth, never leave their ship, and when they depart return a group of adults with their ages reset to 9 years.

"Darwin's Radio" by Greg Bear -- Human "junk" DNA wakes up and starts causing very swift evolution.

More recently, I picked up a couple of free SF books from the Baen library that are earth-based:

"The Apocalypse Troll" by David Weber -- Alien falls through time warp to contemporary Earth and decides to try taking over, as aliens are wont to do.

"Gust Front" by John Ringo -- Military SF in which earth tries to repulse an invasion by the alien Posleen. I should note that this is the second book in a bigger series, and the first one ("A Hymn Before Battle") takes place on Earth, but also on a couple of alien planets, which is where most of the action occurs. "Gust Front" is almost entirely Earth-based though.

Posted on Feb 26, 2013 7:14:40 PM PST
Have a look at Botanicaust by Tam Lindsey. I'm not a fan of the cover or the title, but I thought the story was very good.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:03:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 6:10:20 AM PST
Today's Daily Deal in SF is the earth-based series The Rho Agenda by Richard Phillips. There are three books and are only $.99 each today. If interested, grab them while you can. They're well-worth reading.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_372084022_9?ie=UTF8&bbn=6165851011&rh=i%3Adigital-text%2Cn%3A133140011%2Cn%3A!2334093011%2Cn%3A!2334155011%2Cn%3A6165851011%2Cn%3A154606011%2Cn%3A668010011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=0CQX9F7F8E9Q7R91DEME&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=1500756762&pf_rd_i=1000677541

Another great choice would be this years' Hugo-nominated novel, Nexus by Ramez Naam, currently priced at only $1.99 for Kindle: Nexus

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 10:33:34 AM PST
I have two recommendations - WE by Zamyatin and SIN of Addison Hall by Onorato. They are both dystopian but both are excellent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  15
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions