Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

In Search of ... the WORST in sci-fi POD samplers!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 169 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 7, 2009 10:53:23 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Come on, cut the act, you know you love to read and giggle over the really, really bad ones just as much as I do, so share your finds here!

I'll get the ball rolling with one I just looked through:

Antimatter

(The rhyming prose poem prologue is a truly rare piece of work.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2009 11:13:59 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"A great many people now reading and writing would be better employed keeping rabbits." -- Dame Edith Sitwell.

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 12:18:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:26:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2009 7:02:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2009 7:03:01 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Hi, Britton.

Actually, I know there are some good ones out there, because I've bought one or two. ;)

Always on the basis of good samples, though. Failure to provide a sample at all, or only provide one for Kindle readers, is a sure sign of "stinky poo" for me.

Posted on Nov 9, 2009 9:06:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:26:52 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 9:20:39 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Truly, that one *was* a rare find, so ... poetic!

Here's something new today, not at all incomprehensible like Richard's, but the use of language is a bit dire in spots:

Through The Triangle

"Continuing in this fashion, he wandered blissfully about his upcoming vacation and the fun he was anticipating."

Yeah, that's what I'm talkin' about! And I wish I, too, could find "love lurking under [my] nose"! :D

Posted on Nov 10, 2009 9:51:05 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Died-n-gone-to-Heaven lucky day: got another one:

Havoc

(On authonomy for those without Kindles: http://authonomy.com/ViewBook.aspx?bookid=13379)

"Jack looks over to see a large section of the fence laid over, stomped into the ground by the stampede of alien brutes who had passed through, before them. 'There.' Jack says, heading for the gap.

A foul stench, Jack and Charles look around, observing what they failed to notice from the roof of the tall building...."

Comma usage, strange, makes me feel vaguely anxious....

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 12:15:56 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
This could be the beginning of a new literary award. Maybe the Rotten Bean PoD?

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 12:20:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:27:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2009 5:38:52 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I think "The Charles Stross Prize" or "The Justina Robson Award" would be good choices, something encouraging to remind the winner that he or she could achieve success in the genre without having to get any better.

Posted on Nov 11, 2009 6:43:38 PM PST
Love the thread, Mr. Craig! Read a bit of Antimatter and found a silly paragraph:

Suddenly from the silence of the cockpit comes an audible alarm, "Collision alert!" pause, "Collision alert!"

I have no contribution but I'll be keeping my eye on here!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2009 2:00:57 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
If we're going that rout[e], how about "The Kevin J. Anderson Cast Iron Door Knocker", for achieving success in the genre without having any real talent?

Posted on Nov 13, 2009 6:59:07 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
This much fun can't be good for your heart:

ODD DWELLERS

Non-Kindlers see seven chapters on:

http://www.authonomy.com/ReadBook.aspx?bookid=13390#chapter

The use of language in this one is particularly striking. Could do with a few hyphens and commas, but I fear that James Dubose above has corned the market on the latter.

Sample: Opening two paragraphs of book:

Muted gray blended with dark blue and black filling his vision. The puzzling out of focus mindscape held Sam Becker near the edge of sleep. The heavy aroma of stale oil and dust then prompted him closer towards wakefulness. Only hours earlier he had found himself in a situation that not even his wildest nightmares could have forced upon his imagination. Injured and exhausted he had fallen asleep feeling skeptical about his own sanity.

Several hours had passed him by like a river as it flows around a rock that is resting in mud near the bank. Ultimately his eyes opened full, only to reveal that he was not at all sure of his whereabouts, or for how long he had been dead to the world. A dull pain in his left foot drew his attention. The ache sharpened immediately upon his first attempt to move. He had no notion as to how he had injured himself, or even how bad the injury might be. The only reasoning his muddled mind seemed able to muster was that he had just regained consciousness and his foot hurt like hell. He was finally convinced that the swelling had gone down from what he could remember seeing before sliding into the dark shadows of slumber some hours hence.

Posted on Nov 18, 2009 10:00:46 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:27:59 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2009 9:17:08 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Oh god, I'm dying ... my sides are burning, I can't breathe for coughing, and I think something popped in my head! LOVE it! :D

Do another one!

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 7:54:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:28:09 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 20, 2009 8:36:51 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:30:35 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 12:23:20 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
BRAVO!! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 1:25:50 AM PST
LoL "Pajamas wet with revulsion" was my favorite.

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 1:55:49 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Oh, we may have a new player. See what you think of this:

Pink Gemini

https://www.createspace.com/pub/community/give.review.do?id=1062024

The idea of living in high society *inside* a dangerous wormhole almost intrigues me more than that of decadent sex with twins...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 3:22:51 AM PST
That is hilarious; thank you. You could start a whole new genre. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 10:15:48 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:33:28 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 1:28:54 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Cruel, unusual ... DON'T STOP! :D

(I think the Flowerbug character who's been making the rounds lately is the author. I believe the discussion he started on the book's page was under something more like the author's name when I first posted there.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2009 2:53:17 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
Ronald,

Congratulations! This is confirmed on another thread (copied below). It also explains some of the curious declarations Flowerbug has been making about black holes and worm holes...

Post commences:

Flowerbug says: I found an article stating the sci-fi market is coming back due to escapism in response to a lagging economy. I'm not sure if this is true - the link to this article is:

http://reason.com/blog/2009/04/15/escape-from-recession-sci-fi-s

Anyway, I'm trying to sell a few books I wrote, but more important, I seem to be getting a better response from the sci-fi section in createspace than in erotica or lit/fiction. My novel, Pink Gemini shot right up in views. I guess it has something to do with the title. My other book, Filming the Experience, didn't do well . . at all. In fact, I changed the title and, eventually, it blew up. Feminine titles seem to sell better than others, I guess. . . .I'm not sure.

Posted on Nov 25, 2009 11:20:01 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Aug 26, 2011 9:33:48 AM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  169
Initial post:  Nov 7, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions