Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Book recommendations please?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2013 10:29:23 PM PST
Hi. I'm looking for new books to read and would like suggestions. Here are some of the things I like in books, some things I don't like, and a list of a few of my favorite books

What I like in books
- sci-fi/fantasy genre are my favorite although I don't mind reading other genres too if they're good
- I've read thousands of books and have either read or chosen not to read most of the more popular sci-fi/fantasy author's books so I'm more looking for the "hidden gems" type of books or self published books
- I don't mind if the book has typos or grammatical errors
- I don't mind if the main char is a Mary Sue/Marty Stu
- I prefer books with a strong main char. who isn't constantly failing or doing stupid things (I don't mind if this happens a little but I hate reading stories where the MC can't solve a problem on their own or is too stupid to live)
- I don't mind if there is cursing or sex in books (although taken to very extreme limits it does bug me)
- I like for the MC to have a romantic interest but don't mind if there isn't one
- I don't mind stories with a cliff hanger ending as long as there is another book coming to continue the story
- I prefer books with a happy ending. I read books for enjoyment, not to depress myself =P

What I don't like
- when the MC spends the whole story suffering or being abused (this just tends to depress or annoy me)
- MCs who won't stand up for themselves
- books with a terrible ending (i.e. final hunger games novel)
- too many unresolved plot lines (a few is understandable, especially in longer series)
- books where everyone in the story knows "the truth" about the MC or what the MC needs to do and all the problems would be solved easily if any of the chars told the MC this "truth" but they all refuse to for no apparent reason or for a stupid reason

A few books/series I've liked:
(one's with a * are my favorites)

* Warrior's Wings series and Steam Legion by Evan Currie
* P. S. Power's Keelzey Thomson series and The Lament series
* Ready player one by Ernest Cline
* The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind
* The Trickster novels and the Becka Cooper Trilogy by Tamora Pierce
* The Rhapsody Trilogy and it's sequel series The Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Haydon (also has a set of YA novels set in the same universe that's pretty good)
* James H. Schmitz's Telzey Amberdon Novels
* James H. Schmitz's the The Witches of Karres and the two sequels written by Mercedes Lackey, Eric Flint and Dave Freer titled The Wizard of Karres and The Sorceress of Karres
* Lois Mcmaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series
* Pretty much all of David Weber's works
* Jean Johnson's Their's Not to Reason Why series
Jean Johnson's Sons of Destiny series
A Galaxy Unknown series by Thomas Deprima
Orson Scott Card's Ender series
Christopher Paolini's Inheritance Cycle series (or some may recognize this more as the "Eragon books")
Tolkien's Lord of the Rings books
The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan (continued by Brandon Sanderson after Jordan's death)
Mistborn Series and Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
The Kingkiller Chronicle trilogy by Patrick Rothfuss
Aaron Pogue's Dragon Prince Trilogy
When Demons Walk by Patricia Briggs - I don't care for most of Patricia Briggs books but liked this one
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher
The Harry Potter Series by J. K. Rowling
The Drizzt Do'Urden books by R. A. Salvatore
The first few Anita Blake novels by Laurell K. Hamillton (before she went crazy and turned them into nothing but smut)
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
The Player of Games by Iain M. Banks
Rick Cook's Wizardry series
The Breach Trilogy by Patrick Lee

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 10:53:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 6, 2013 11:00:36 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
If you haven't seen Chronicles Of Corum you might check it out--Moorcock's eternal champion stuffs is wildly erratic and occasionally formulaic, but it's always at least readable.

On the SF side, you could try digging up some of the old Perry Rhodan, those were pretty good too.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 11:05:48 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
"books where everyone in the story knows "the truth" about the MC or what the MC needs to do and all the problems would be solved easily if any of the chars told the MC this "truth" but they all refuse to for no apparent reason or for a stupid reason"

This, above all else, irks me the most. We all know it happens in movies too.

You might want to check out the Forever War. Existence by David Brin.

I for one, am fixing to read The Departure by Neal Dasher. Here is the description from i09
The Departure (The Owner) by Neal Asher (Night Shade Books)
This is the first book in Asher's new Owner trilogy, which has been out for ages in the U.K. already - and it sounds really dark and fun. It's the future and the Earth is an overcrowded, disastrous mess, ruled by the draconian Committee from orbit. The Committee have decided the human population needs to be reduced to 12 billion before the world can be restored, so they're basically trying to starve and neglect the human race down to a manageable size. Enter Alan Saul, a man with an A.I. in his head and revenge on his mind.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 11:07:29 PM PST
Thanks, haven't seen Moorcock's stuff before or Perry Rhodan. Know if there is a digital version of Chronicles of Corum available anywhere?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 11:21:59 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
there's a tablet version running cuneiform:)

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 4:28:54 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 7, 2013 4:59:55 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 4:46:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 4:48:43 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Jessica - you might want to take David's name off your profile if you're going to spam his book for him.. Authors self-promoting is a big no-no on the forums (Amazon rules).

Congratulations on the baby..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:10:38 AM PST
Thank you -- I had not seen the "Important Announcement from Amazon" note mentioning this, which I noticed at the top of the Science Fiction forum list just now but not previously on the Kindle Science Fiction Fantasy forum list where most of my comments have been made (at least not towards the top!). I was going off the general guidelines, keeping the mentions to one post per discussion (though I did post twice in "looking for something new," but to say briefly the book is free again). So I've moved my recommendations to the Meet Our Author's forum.

Don't want to bother people, just looking for readers, it is truly a well written and enjoyable book!

And thanks on the baby, though she hasn't arrived yet!

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 7:22:39 AM PST
Lee, I read much of the same same stuff you do. For classic, golden age sci fi, check out H Beam Piper. Much of his writing is available free on Project Gutenberg, ManyBooks, etc.

Also, there's a lot of great sci-fi and fantasy on the Baen Free CD's: an annotated list with download links can be found here: http://www.allensmith.net/SciFi/Baen/Free.htm

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 8:37:16 AM PST
Thanks guys, checking out Moorcocks stuff, Perry Rhodan, and The Departure by Neal Dasher now.

Already familiar with David Brin, H Beam Piper, and baen's stuff.

Thanks tons for the suggestions guys =) Feel free to offer up more anytime ^_^

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 11:36:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 7:03:37 PM PST
Captain says:
Read these books!

Blood Song (A Raven's Shadow Novel, Book 1) Best epic fantasy in years.

The Martian Best sci-fi written in years.

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations box set Book 1) Best completed epic fantasy series in years.

Pandora's Star (The Commonwealth Saga Book 1)
Best sci-fi author going along with Iain M Banks. If you haven't read Peter Hamilton you are in for a treat.

But start with Blood Song. I also cannot stand the bad-things-happen-to-good-people genre where the MC is always feeling sorry for himself.

You will thank me for these recommendations.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 12:12:59 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Lee: If I have already mentioned or recommended Steve Miller and Sharon Lee's "The Liaden Universe" series, I apologize. I have read a number of the author's you like--and while Miller and Lee are no longer a secret, still they have not reached the acclaim that I think they deserve. The first book introduces 2 of the main characters, Miri Robertson and Val Con--this will sound silly, but in the book you will meet The Clutch Turtles, and other characters--but it all seems reasonable, there are some very tense scenes, some fairly humorous ones. The series just gets better. You may or may not understand this, but when I start feeling a little down, or just run out of books to read, I go back to this series, pick up a book and, eventhough I know what is going to happen, pretty soon I am engrossed, having a great time. Anne McCaffrey, Bujold and other writers feel the same way about these books. I am 68 and worry that I will die before the next books comes out--they bring out a novel just about every year. I would recommend that you start at the first book, read in order. You will have a fine time.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 12:36:45 PM PST
From an earlier discussion...

<I was reading John Scalzi's blog and he linked Locus Magazine's 2012 rec reading list.

http://www.locusmag.com/Magazine/2013/02/2012-recommended-reading-list/ >

Perry Rhodan is the number one selling book series of all time once you include serials and shorts. Something like over 1b copies sold, mostly in Europe where it's huge. It's a good trivia question.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 1:15:26 AM PST
Dalton Wolf says:
Hi Lee. All of these are older books, but many are now on Kindle. I rarely put anything out here, because so many others are already putting forth the newer books, so I'm going to put in the books I am getting ready to pick up myself. Judging by your 'likes' it's entirely possible you've already read all of these, but I'm always happy to pass on my own favorites to others. Here's a few I read years ago and still like:

Sci-fi
Brian Daley-Requiem for a Ruler of Worlds and Jinx on a Terran Inheritance, Fall of the White Ship Avatar(quick, easy, enjoyable reads. FUN)

The Stainless Steel Rat-Harry Harrison. My brother LOVED these books. I liked them, but did not love them. The 'Rat' was a little too...smug for my taste.

Brian Daley's Han Solo books and Splinter of a minds eye, by (I think)Alan Dean Foster. These were books that came out just after the original Star Wars movies when the Star Wars Galaxy was still young and innocent. I haven't read these in 30 years at least, but I'm about to pick them up again on Kindle. I LOVED these books as much as my brother loved the Stainless Steel rat books. I'm hoping they hold up over time:/

Fantasy

The Vlad Taltos books, starting with Jhereg-by Steven Brust (the first 5 were great, started petering out after that. Am getting ready to start reading all of the newest soon.)

The Horseclans books by Robert Jordan (especially the first 5-6 books in the series. Billy the Axe is awesome, but a bit sad. Easily the best read of the bunch.

Also, for a long-term project, you might keep an eye out for Roger Zelazny's Amber Series. I believe they are moving those over to the Kindle platform. These are among my favorite books along with many of those we've already listed.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 1:54:59 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
I've heard many good comments about Zelazny.His SF novel THE DREAM MASTER was very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 4:24:09 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
'Doorways in the Sand' by Roger Zelazny, was a favorite of mine..

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:20:25 AM PST
M. Carole says:
Since you liked Patrick Rothfuss, I'd add: Among Thieves: A Tale of the Kin and Scourge of the Betrayer: Bloodsounder's Arc Book One.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 8:30:17 AM PST
K. J. Hart says:
Try Jack McDevitt's Alex Benedict series. Also Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry, if you haven't already.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 8:49:10 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 8, 2013 8:54:06 PM PST]

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:05:12 PM PST
H. Griebel says:
Check this out. It's a rather short novel but quite amusing:

Tales from the Kingdom of a King Who Wanted More

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 12:12:38 PM PST
Cyad says:
Dalton Wolf wrote The Horseclans books by Robert Jordan (especially the first 5-6 books in the series. Billy the Axe is awesome, but a bit sad. Easily the best read of the bunch.
Err good series that is slowly being released as ebooks (first 4 so far). But the author is Robert Adams who died I believe in 1988.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 4:07:47 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Check this out. It's a rather short novel but quite amusing:"

$5.95 for 44 pages.. 44 pages ain't a novel...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 10:55:31 AM PST
Dalton Wolf says:
Thanks for the correction, Cyad. I was contemplating adding 'The Wheel of Time' books so my mind was on Jordan instead of on Adams like it should have been.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2013 8:46:05 PM PST
How do they bind 44 pages? Staples?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 5:24:09 AM PST
I don't know about that. I find having the gall to charge to charge $5.95 for 44 pages to be rather novel.

Somebody thinks very highly of themselves.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions