Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Nova: Episodes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2012 7:05:35 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:13:37 AM PST
That has to be about the worst premise for a story I've ever heard.

But now that my mind is unboggling itself I should mention that self promotion is only allowed in the Meet Our Authors forum. http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-forum/meet%20our%20authors/ref=cm_cd_search_res_ft?ie=UTF8&cdForum=Fx2UYC1FC06SU8S

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:57:02 AM PST
abuse reported
spamming your book not allowed

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:57:27 AM PST
what do you expect from some wannabee who spams their book
they all SUCK big time

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:06:45 AM PST
I added my abuse note to yours.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 10:20:10 AM PST
Actually some of the authors who have spammed their books are very good. A lack of knowledge of the rules does not equate to a lack of writing ability. Judging by the Look Inside feature this is not one of those authors. But writing a blanket statement like you did is like saying that you read Twilight which means that all vampire stores are about whiny emo teen girls and that all vampire authors suck.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 11:49:01 AM PST
99.99% of self published books are krapp
99.999% of ebooks are krapp
99.9999% of good authors do NOT spam their books

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:16:00 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Pro tip - People here are smart. They know a shill review when they see it and will not buy your book or any other book ever written by you in the past or future.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:04:28 PM PST
Edgar Rice Burroughs' Pellucidar stories had better science.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 1:58:53 PM PST
And hot cave girls. Oo-la-la, O'aa!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:02:29 PM PST
Go here for real Nova episodes: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 12:11:54 PM PST
THAT show is the entire reason I clicked this thread in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 5:16:08 PM PST
yes

totally misleading title for this thread

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 8:38:46 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Contact Siffy (=Syfy). They might buy it for one of their amazing movies. LOL

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:55:40 AM PST
Another starring vehicle for Lorenzo Lamas.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 10:32:44 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Oh yes!

(Who?)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:57:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 7:53:43 PM PST
Actually, I agree with T.J. Hawkins. Redirecting them to the correct forum is one thing, but could we PLEASE all try to act like civil adults about it, and not 12-year old bullies tackling a nerd in a school hallway? I know what it is to be a struggling author trying to attract attention to your work.

I've been following these forums for a couple of months now, and people's reactions to self-promoters here have irritated me a lot more than the self-promoters themselves have. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone by saying that, but I'm tired of seeing this again and again and saying nothing. And, at risk of encouraging spammers, I'd rather see a little bit of constructive criticism than just insulting their work.

To the original poster, in the unlikely event you're still following this... since I see your main character is a magician, just call your story "fantasy" (or "science fantasy") instead of "science fiction" and people will stop complaining about the bad science. I enjoyed the TSR "Spelljammer" books, and they were fun specifically because they had outlandish astronomy like this.

That said, I'm afraid this looks very much like a "first book." So keep at it, keep writing, read as much as you can in your chosen genre to get a better feel for it, and ask writing advice from people whose opinions you respect. Good luck.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Active discussions in related forums  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions