Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Favourite TV series that tanked

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 177 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2012 3:50:06 PM PDT
Lord Baal says:
Firefly is too obvious a choice so I'll start the ball rolling with Defying Gravity more than I bit weird but I'd have loved it to continue.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 4:42:06 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
I watched Defying Gravity and was a bit bummed when it was taken off the air right when it started to get interesting - I would have liked to seen where they were going to take the story..

Same with Stargate Universe - I want to know what happened after the season end cliff-hanger..

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:28:55 PM PDT
TKA says:
Dresden Files? Although it comes in second to Firefly. Just 'cause it's obvious doesn't make it wrong!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 5:30:27 PM PDT
Phnxgrl says:
Firefly is my contribution. Fox really did not know what to do with this awesome show. They even showed episodes out of order. Cows in Space how cool is that!

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:12:12 PM PDT
Hanaukyo Maids Tai

It went on for fifteen eps, but then the mad scientist chick recorded over the rest. But! another company then did make Hanaukyo Maids La Verite, which I'll have to check out.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 6:32:31 PM PDT
Stargate Universe.

I felt a little lost when it ended.

Posted on Aug 2, 2012 7:08:01 PM PDT
quark

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 2, 2012 11:04:52 PM PDT
I didn't expect an anime maid show to get posted here! La Verite was ok, but fell far short of greatness. It certainly didn't makeup for the dodgy end of the first series. I may be biased though as neither stood up to repeat viewing for me.

As for Firefly, it is the first that comes to mind for me also. A great show cut short and sabotaged by time slots and out if order showings. I will have to think on others.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 10:31:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 10:35:12 AM PDT
Lord Baal says:
I think Fox were expecting "Buffy in Space" only Joss delivered something entirely different and their tiny minds imploded. Still I suppose expecting vision from a TV exec was a bit much.

On the subject of animé cut short I'll have to offer Shigurui. Not Sci Fi but still deserves another series or five.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:40:09 AM PDT
"Caprica" was just getting interesting when they cancelled it.

But my favorite off-beat one was "Pushing Daisies"

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:40:52 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
I wasn't surprised that Terra Nova got canceled.. I actually liked the canceled series Outcasts better that it..

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 11:47:35 AM PDT
I'm not sure why I thought of Hanaukyo Maid Tai. It was the first thing that popped into my head that hadn't already been mentioned.

Quark, huh? I remember it, and whadayano, Netflix has it. I'll watch it during a break in Olympic coverage, and see what I think all these years later.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 12:01:16 PM PDT
Chance says:
Survivors, the 2008 remake of the 1970s TV series. I thought it was pretty good, but apparently viewership was failing so they cancelled it. Shame, as the series 2 finale was a cliffhanger.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:11:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 1:11:40 PM PDT
W.T. says:
I would have liked to have seen a second season for "Earth 2". Though it got too environmentally preachy to the detriment of the plot (there is such a thing as beating an allegory to death), the characters were a great ensemble and made the show worthwhile. It was easy to care about the characters even when sometimes the science got fishy and the plots made you role your eyes.

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 1:29:12 PM PDT
Ehkzu says:
Firefly above all. At least we got Serenity for an executive summary of the next season, but...such a shame.

Besides that, a lot of stuff mentioned here is fantasy, not scifi. For fantasy, Wonderfalls springs to mind. For scifi, here's one I bet nobody remembers: Starlost, starring Keir Dullea of 2001 fame.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 1:40:38 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"..here's one I bet nobody remembers: Starlost.."

Think I have that DVD set.. The Starlost - The Complete Series - it's the one where it looks like they reused the spaceships from the Silent Running movie...

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 2:18:24 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 2:19:38 PM PDT
W.T. says:
Another season of Jericho would have been amazing. The show's writers did season 3 in comic book form, and America really missed out by not getting to see it on-air.

Speaking as someone who actually mailed nuts to CBS during the famous "NUTS!" campaign that briefly saved the show, this was a classic example of a brilliant and popular show getting canned because not enough people watched it in its normal broadcast window, preferring to watch in on-line. I heard that Nielson changed how they calculate ratings specifically because of Jericho, but by then it was already too late.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 4:51:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 4:51:47 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
It was pretty low fi, yet another one of Ellisan's grandiose projects doomed to crash burn and die. Too bad everything they wanted to do cost too much. There was a decent book that came out of the fiasco: Phoenix Without Ashes

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 5:18:25 PM PDT
What about "Farscape"

Another one that was good, but just got silly during the final season
Have it and "firefly/Serenity" on DVDs

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 3, 2012 5:23:56 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Absolutely! A ship and crew that could REALLY clean up the galaxy!

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 5:45:28 PM PDT
I love Firefly, but seeing Farscape all the way to the conclusion would have been amazing (although we did get Peacekeeper Wars, I suppose).

Posted on Aug 3, 2012 8:53:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 3, 2012 8:53:49 PM PDT
John Doe: Season 1

Huge cliffhanger ending.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 2:44:15 AM PDT
Dino P says:
I liked the first season of V, the second one had some excellent moments but wasn't quite as consistent as I'd have liked, but I was disappointed that it didn't get a third season to wrap everything up.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 3:08:51 AM PDT
Space Above And Beyond

The Babylon 5 spinoff Crusade.

The Dresden Files (Wizards but yay).

The Witchblade (Supernatural comic series but some alternate stories were set in space if I recall.)

Firefly. This one still hurts. A lot.

Great thread.

Wish I could remember who has the Space Above Episodes on video. They were really good.

Posted on Aug 5, 2012 3:56:28 AM PDT
Lord Baal says:
So much good TV killed off by timid TV execs and the thrice accursed Nielson rating. A pox on both your houses.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  177
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions