Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 908 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 30, 2011 10:09:23 AM PST
Isaiah says:
Lol spice twinkies of dune. I wish they would do a semi faithful adaptation of starship troopers, but considering how controversial the source material is I think the best we can hope for is a mix of aliens, and saving private Ryan in space, it certainly couldn't be too much worse than the trash that came out bearing that books name. I just tore through the first three John Carter novels since I saw the trailer, and I must say while I know it wont be exactly faithful it doesn't apppear to be too egregious(did you see the thern hanging with the green martians in the trailer? Really) still ill give it a chance. I cant wait for the next riddick film,hopefully they'll explore more about riddick as a person in addition to universe as a whole.

Posted on Dec 30, 2011 10:15:27 AM PST
P. M. I. says:
Akira, anyone?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 2:31:48 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(Reminds me, whatever happened with Spielberg's Ghost in the Shell remake?)

Posted on Dec 31, 2011 11:38:59 AM PST
Green Meanie says:
Predators 2 is being made.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2011 12:10:58 PM PST
Picardfan007 says:
Blade Runner is supposedly in development as a TV show too. I think there have been so many copies, like William Shatner's Tek War and Total Recall 2070 on Showtime, that he decided to make a regular TV show. The Total Recall series was unusual because it was unrelated to the movie. Yet both of them were very Blade Runner like.

Posted on Jan 9, 2012 11:00:28 AM PST
Tigger Boy says:
While browsing the DAVID Weber's authors page, I scanned his twitter chat room and David stated that the preliminary screening looks good and an "HONOR HARRINGTON" movie is planned and possibly be out by 2015. I deeply hope this is true as I would love to see it.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 10:18:12 AM PST
Hi Gang,

Normally I don't repost items in multiple threads, since that is bad form, but I'm not sure if my favorite buddies here read all of the threads, so I wanted to make sure you saw this.

If you have 2 hours to kill, Youtube now has "Star Wars Uncut: Directors Cut" at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ezeYJUz-84

They took the original Star Wars movie, broke it into about 475 fifteen second increments, and each piece was recreated by amateurs using their kids, pets, animation, dumb masks and costumes and anything else they could think of. The scenes were then all stitched back together into a complete movie. Some of it is pretty funny and entertaining.

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 11:14:27 AM PST
I don't know if your form was good or not, but I thank you for it, because that is bleeding awesome!

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 12:05:55 PM PST
T. Dezan says:
ender's game starring harrison ford. should be good.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1731141/

Posted on Jan 26, 2012 1:12:27 PM PST
And now for something completely different ...

http://silverscreensaucers.blogspot.com/2012/01/robin-williams-will-do-absolutely.html

NEW ET/ALIEN MOVIE FROM MONTY PYTHON, STARRING ROBIN WILLIAMS

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 2:51:24 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
(LOL. Bob... that's EXCELLENT!)

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:50:17 AM PST
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/01/21/nasa_sf_film_shot_on_iss/

NASA CLOSE TO APPROVING A MOVIE SHOT FROM THE SPACE STATION

Not sure why the U.S.'s blackout-media didn't report this. It would be the first science fiction movie "shot in space" (or the ISS, rather).

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 9:29:46 AM PST
That is an interesting development. I look forward to seeing how this turns out.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 10:37:32 AM PST
Interesting, and thanks for posting, Marilyn...but "U.S's blackout-media"???? Please stop flinging absurd statements. It's not correct.

NASA says it's OK, from the USA media: http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2012/01/apogee-of-fear/

PS...he's also making a plain documentary of his visit-> http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/movies/la-et-man-on-a-mission-20120120,0,6231645.story

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 11:50:23 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"Not sure why the U.S.'s blackout-media didn't report this."

Maybe you didn't notice.

Reported as blocked by NASA two weeks ago, before they relented:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/14/richard-garriott-space-movie_n_1206198.html

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 1:26:11 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I'm too jaded and cynical to have much confidence that Disney can make a great Sci Fi movie out of the "John Carter of Mars" books, especially since they decided to take "of Mars" out of the title so they wouldn't scare off potential audience.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:12:25 PM PST
What??!! They took out "of Mars"??!! What were those bleepers thinking??!!

I wonder how many uninitiated folks will think its about the main character from Terminator? :-(
But I'll have to go see it anyway.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:16:45 PM PST
That reminds me...I'm torn whether to see Star Wars The Phantom Menace in 3D. I probably will since I actually liked it in spite of Jar Jar. Are any of you planning to go? Do you think it will be a bust?

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 7:54:05 PM PST
I hear that the genius who decided to take "of Mars" out of the title (because women won't pay to see a movie with "Mars" in the title... ??) has been sacked. A bit late, but oh well.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2012 8:13:28 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
One of the standard arcs for a movie's ontology follows this progression--the people who know what they are doing get fired, then their replacements who don't know what they are doing get fired and then when it's too late somebody hires a bunch of harmless nebbishes who can't fix the mess.

Posted on Jan 28, 2012 8:27:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 27, 2012 3:52:50 AM PST
Yog-Sothoth says:
Not really "Sci-Fi", but actually classed "cosmic horror," Lovecraft's short story "Whisperer in the Darkness" was recently released on DVD. (Well, it DOES have aliens in it, and brains in canisters, and "cosmic" journeys"...) Not a blockbuster, but well-done and true to the original story (none of that "based on/insired by" rip-off). It can be purchased from the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society at http:cthulhulives.com.

They released a 1920's-genre silent movie version of "The Call of Cthulhu" in 2006, and also have several audio recordings of "radio-drama" type readings - and one parody, "Shoggoth on the Roof".

If only G. DelToro had gotten the backing for "At the Mountains of Madness" - I could picture a melding of Carpenter's "The Thing" and R.Scott's "Alien".

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 6:49:36 AM PST
Disney has never had much track-record for Science Fiction. Paramount did all the Star Trek TV series and movies. And Fox is the go-to studio for the edgier, riskier Sci Fi we all know and love.

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 11:10:54 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
Maybe Disney didn't want people to think "John Carter of Mars" was the husband of the mom in "Mars needs Moms"?

Posted on Jan 29, 2012 1:18:13 PM PST
LOL!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2012 3:05:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2012 3:06:48 PM PST
Zen Druid says:
Most of the commercial movies based on Lovecraft are pretty terrible, with the exception of the ones at the Lovecraft Historical Society such as you mentioned. The only other good ones I've seen are some of the amateur productions like what is shown at the Lovecraft Film Festival. Some of those are quite good and some of them are collected on DVD.

Edited to add: They took Mars out of the Title? Crazy!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  10 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions