Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Higgs-Boson Has Been Found

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 14, 2013 10:57:18 AM PDT
http://news.yahoo.com/physicists-found-higgs-boson-101311366.html

PHYSICISTS SAY THEY HAVE DEFINITELY FOUND THE HIGGS-BOSON
It's existence was predicted in 1964, and scientists at CERN announced last July that they had found a particle they described as "Higgs-like."

Now, after laboriously going over their data, they can make a firm announcement of the discovery.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:07:42 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Higgs-Boson Has Been Found"

How soon till they start selling them here on Amazon?

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:58:46 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Thanks, Marilyn!

People interested in science fiction usually have no interest whatsoever in science news items. It's a darned good thing you're on the job gleaning such news from the Web and reposting it here for everyone to see.

Good job!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 5:34:31 PM PDT
you got this in the right forum
its FICTION

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 4:48:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 15, 2013 4:49:52 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Really?

Oh sorry, horsey, I missed that Ph.D. in high-energy particle physics in your list of credentials! ;)

Edit to add: Btw, has Marilyn swiped all your apostrophes? I thought it was just hyphens that she's mad for!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2013 9:13:37 PM PDT
OG InfamousR says:
The shipping might be problematic.

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 10:04:21 AM PDT
Can a .45-70 take down a Higgs-Bison?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2013 10:18:35 AM PDT
who lost the boson in the first place ?

Posted on Mar 17, 2013 1:29:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 2:47:02 PM PDT
Nobody--it ran off to sea and served as a boatswain on a sailing vessel.

(Get it? "bosun")

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 6:36:48 AM PDT
W.T. says:
How do you lose something that is all around us, anyway?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 4:11:05 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
Maybe they're like socks and disappear from the dryer.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2013 7:36:50 PM PDT
is it ?

still unproven speculation for an imaginary particle in a flawed model that is unproven

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 2:44:46 AM PDT
"you got this in the right forum
its FICTION "

the science forum is fiction here (a club of AGW believers, evolution deniers, and eugenics adherents), the SciFi forum is fact.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 8:33:42 AM PDT
If you're interested in the subject, tonight (3/20) on the Science Channel, "Through the Wormhole" with Morgan Freeman, he discusses the discovery of the Higgs.

Short 30 second intro clip at -> http://science.discovery.com/tv-shows/through-the-wormhole

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 2:42:46 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
Not entirely true, and no excuse for Marilyn posting these science-topic threads here.

Any science "street cred" she may be hoping to accrue by doing so gets shredded once anyone reads some of the silly "speculation" she puts out. Squid evolving on the Moon? Crop circles as a global alien BBS? Uranus as a hollow, artificial planet? Aliens attacking us with deadly flu viruses on meteorites? Underground oceans? Underground alien bases? Humans as hybrids of terrestrial primates and alien critters? Time travel and dimensional vortices? LOL. A veritable cornucopia of corny cockapoopy.

Feh.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:32:17 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
"Humans as hybrids of terrestrial primates and alien critters?"

SPOILER ALERT

Wasn't that the ending to the Battlestar Galactica reboot?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 4:42:01 PM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
LOL. Yeah, I think.

It was kinda like the ending of "Lost", though: I never was really sure that I completely understood what all of that was about. If the BG ending was some sort of time travel paradox thingy, can you really call them aliens?

Posted on Mar 21, 2013 5:57:35 AM PDT
W.T. says:
I always thought "Lost" should have ended when the atomic bomb went off and everything faded to white circa season 3....

Posted on Apr 7, 2013 10:51:53 AM PDT
Now scientists are quietly looking for other elusive particles deep underground:

http://news.yahoo.com/5-mysterious-particles-lurking-underground-133151048.html
5 MYSTERIOUS PARTICLES LURKING UNDERGROUND
The Unparticle ... Dark-matter particles ... Solar neutrinos ... Geoneutrinos ... Nucleon decay

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2013 3:58:23 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
"quietly looking"

That struck me as an odd thing for you to write (Were you making a comment on the lack of hoopla as compared with the Higgs Boson [Note again: NO HYPHEN!], perhaps?), so I checked out the original article...

"While the world's largest atom smasher was busy finding the Higgs boson particle - thought to explain why other particles have mass - physicists have been quietly building giant underground laboratories deep beneath the Earth."

Another mistressfully delish linguistic confection brought to you half-baked by Marilyn Martin!

(Btw, do you see any connection whatsoever between these underground experiments and the aliens you claim our government is working with underground out West? And how are these projects affected by the presence of the great underground sea you've detected clues of during your online "research" forays?)

Snickeringly yours, as ever. :)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Mar 14, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions