Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Robot/A.I. novel recommendations?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 40 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 23, 2012 2:03:49 PM PDT
D. Ricks says:
Looking for an innovative kindle novel about robotics and/or artificial intelligence. (Yes, we've all read Asimov) Hopefully something more creative than super-strong-robots-going-berserk-because-they-were-built-wrong. But I'm pretty flexible.

Posted on May 23, 2012 4:21:02 PM PDT
J. Landis says:
Containment

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2012 6:43:14 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I was going to mention

Robopocalypse: A Novel

but then I read your second sentence :(

There's a Second Foundation Trilogy. Its authorized by Asimov's estate and written by Brin, Bear and Bedford.

Posted on May 24, 2012 8:33:33 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Take a look at the works by Bruce Sterling or William Gibson...

Neuromancer (Ace Science Fiction)

or a book that's a bit more dated. try David Gerrold's When Harlie Was One : Release 2.0

or Eric L. Harry's Society of the Mind: A Cyberthriller

Posted on May 24, 2012 7:28:25 PM PDT
Captain says:
Every Culture novel that Iain M. Banks has written.

Posted on May 25, 2012 1:39:59 AM PDT
D. Robinson says:
The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi might be up your alley. It's more cyberpunk than anything else though.

Posted on May 25, 2012 7:12:55 AM PDT
Robert Moore says:
Marge Piercy's HE, SHE, AND IT is an amazing novel.

And although not a full blown robot, the title character in Bacigalupi's THE WIND UP GIRL is one of the most interesting artificial people in SF. Warning: much explicit sexual content. But it did manage to win both the Hugo and Nebula a couple of years ago.

I hate and detest Asimov's robot books. I mean, the famous Laws are so absurd. OF COURSE robots will hurt people. Thousands of packbots and drones are employed in
Afghanistan. Although many packbots are used in bomb disposal, many others are fitted with shot guns and sent into rooms ahead of soldiers. On top of the dumbness of the Laws of Robotics, Asimov is a wretched writer. And I particularly dislike the robot novels, which really are hybrid genre novels. Now, I normally don't mind hybrids, but these are bad detective novels, stupid old school where the detective assembles all of the suspects at the end before announcing who the guilty one is.

I assume you have read Philip K. Dick, who often writes about robots and cyborgs. DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP? is, of course, the most famous book on cyborgs ever written. There is also WE CAN BUILD YOU, which is a lot of fun. I would also recommend reading his short stories. The best of the best are collected in SELECTED STORIES and are outstanding. Not all of them are on robots/cyborgs, but many are. "The Electric Ant" is stunning, with a guy unexpectedly discovering that he is a robot.

Stanislaw Lem's THE CYBERIAD is a lot of fun.

If you have read Asimov I assume you have read Heinlein, but if not, THE MOON IS A HARSH MISTRESS is a great book in which a massive government computer displays intelligence and helps the rebels.

I could mention dozens more, but let me close by asking if you've read Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books. Not deep stuff like some of PKD's best books, but enormous fun. About a guy who has been transformed into a cyborg, but with his punky attitude left intact.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 11:26:36 AM PDT
K. Stacey says:
The point of the Laws is not what they are, but what they mean. They're mental dampeners. It keeps the AI from being true artificial intelligence because they cannot make that decision to kill a human, or to not kill. He has no choice. It's the same way for the rest of the laws.

Rather then embrace the ability to create life (as it were) humanity decided to take the fear route and ensure that that creation could never hurt them, thereby undermining the very act of creation itself.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:13:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 25, 2012 3:26:46 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:24:57 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
self-promotion is not allowed.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:28:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 25, 2012 3:32:05 PM PDT
They asked for a recommendation, I gave it... However, I have removed my other post as I do not wish to even give a hint of doing something inappropriate. As this was a single reply, and I am a long time Amazon shopper I did not think I was wrong in answering a specific query. I would not have put up repeated responses or anything like that. Thank You for letting me know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 25, 2012 3:38:07 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Thank you.

Posted on May 25, 2012 6:59:32 PM PDT
David Rolfe says:
Here's one from a few years back that I found thought-provoking: The Silicon Man.

Posted on May 25, 2012 8:10:58 PM PDT
Robert, The Stainless Steel Rat was not a cyborg. You may be thinking of Harrison's Bill, The Galactic Hero.

Posted on May 27, 2012 1:40:11 PM PDT
Captain says:
I'm in the middle of House of Suns by Alastair Reynolds. First book of his I've liked and it's not just good, it's great. Robot sci-fi in the distant future. Exciting, imaginative, a real page turner.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 4:27:30 PM PDT
Thanks, Captain. I'm the same way with Reynolds -- I've read a number of his and have been disappointed. I've added House of Suns to my wish list.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:21:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 27, 2012 7:26:37 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 6:39:31 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Self-promotion is like being pregnant. One is or isn't. Please remove your post.

Posted on May 27, 2012 8:19:22 PM PDT
I would offer a possible book but we're not allowed to self promote heh heh heh.
we'll go for second best.
There are several Heinlein stories that intersect with this theme.
I think perhaps you should have to sort through them all as did I to find the most relevant and exciting ones.
or we could all try to find that phantom story on which mr E claimed terminator was based.
Or better yet look and see if you can get copies of mr DF Jones's Colossus (the forbin project) or The Fall of Colossus. I have not looked to see if they have ebooked them yet. Published back in the early 70's these were well ahead of their time.

And if you feel strongly that person is self promoting why don't you just remove the post from your cybernetic head:)

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 11:58:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 28, 2012 1:32:43 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 1, 2012 1:25:12 PM PDT
Pulpman says:
Any of I.Assimov's books will be a good read if you have not done so already. I reread them every so often and end up enjoying them all over again.

Posted on Jun 2, 2012 3:41:46 PM PDT
I was going to mention Eando Binder's Adam Link set of novels, they came before the Asimov stories. Even though Adam link is a robot he has a more human-like look at life. Another one you might enjoy if you don't mind reading older material is The Humanoids by Jack Williamson.

Posted on Oct 5, 2012 12:11:10 PM PDT
Threedollarbill is right, the early Adam Link stories are great.

And there's Frankenstein, of course.

My favorite robot story is one from the 90's that I'm sure is too obscure to have been released on Kindle. Dragons Can Only Rust (Tsr Books, F/Sf) and Dragon Reforged, about a robot dragon's quest to learn whether or not he has a soul.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 1:27:18 PM PDT
Gregory Lee says:
James Hogan, Code of the Lifemaker and other novels. Hogan writes about robot evolution and civilizations -- quite different from Asimov, who is strictly anthropocentric. But otherwise, Hogan wrote entirely within the classic SF vein.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 12:32:50 AM PST
try Turing Evolved, free on Amazon and surprisingly good.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  40
Initial post:  May 23, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions