Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Humor - You Know you are a SciFi Geek When...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 71 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 17, 2012 7:32:33 AM PST
Unleashed says:
You Know you are a SciFi Geek When...
"Some quote Gandhi, others quote Jesus, you quote Yoda."

You Know you are a SciFi GEEK When... (The Unleashed "You Know"Series)

I still can waste a day watching a Star Wars marathons on TV and if it was socially acceptable at my age, I would still play with my figurines from the 80s

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 8:23:30 AM PST
Who cares what is socially acceptable? Why do you care what mainstream society thinks? They are phony morons who probably aren't being themselves. They also are most likely miserable and depressed too. Be proud that you're smart and living life for yourself as opposed to others. It's the only way you will be happy and fulfilled. Do what you want. After all, how is dressing up like a favorite sci-fi character and going to a convention any different than going to a football game and painting up your body with the home team colors? There's no difference. If people judge you, judge them back. They're being hypocrites. Anyway....

"You watch classic "Doctor Who" consistently, think Tom Baker is GOD, and ask people if they would like a jellybaby." And you actually have the bag of jellybabies when you offer them!

And I have spent a day watching classic "Doctor Who" and I wouldn't call it a waste. I'm highly entertained and I enjoy myself. I certainly could think of much worse to occupy my time.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 9:51:03 AM PST
Unleashed says:
I'm with you Metalhead.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 11:24:02 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 11, 2012 12:18:08 PM PDT]

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 11:33:32 AM PST
John J. Kolb says:
Good News! It IS socially acceptable to play with your figurines at any age, but, only while watching a Star Wars marathon, (either broadcast or DVD marathon is fine).

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 12:00:14 PM PST
Just do it on the second floor or with the curtains closed so the neighbors won't make mock of you.

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 1:09:26 PM PST
Play with your figures and give mainstream society the finger while they're watching "Jersey Shore" and getting drunk like mindless buffoons. That's what I say. Be proud that you have intellect and imagination. We could certainly use more of that now!

Posted on Feb 17, 2012 1:51:01 PM PST
I know I'm a sci-fi geek because...I knew right away that the sonic screwdriver my wife got me for XMAS was the Matt Smith one and not the David Tennent one!!

And I know I'm an old and wise sci-fi geezer because I didn't say aloud the above to my wife!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2012 7:43:49 PM PST
So that makes you a "geekster."

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 4:39:24 AM PST
Unleashed says:
I found at Walmart these new Star Wars banger plush dolls. Their about 6 inches tall, you bang them and they make noise. Chewbacca growls and moans, Vader breaths heavy and says "i am your father." awesome. only thing is you think you have to squeeze them to make noise, but you have to bang them against something.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2012 6:32:31 AM PST
You know you're an SF Geek if you like the WW II-style Star Wars posters on this site (they're in the bottom row).
http://www.antlucia.com/gallery2.html

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 8:32:27 AM PST
Angela Perry says:
I work with a bunch of computer programmers. I brought the TARDIS up in normal conversation, and all but one of them said, "what's that?"

You know you're a scifi geek when other geeks have no idea what you're talking about :)

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 9:11:03 AM PST
Angela,

I saw somewhere that 90% of kids in the U.K. know what a Dalek is. I wonder what the percentage is in the USA? I guess if you didn't catch Doctor Who in the 60's/70s on PBS, you need BBC America to catch the reboot. Or know to go find the episodes on Netflix streaming.

My favorite here on Amazon-> Doctor Who - Angels Have The Phone Box T-Shirt

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 1:50:57 PM PST
CivWar64 (Bob) says:
I know I'm a sci-fi geek because...I knew right away that the sonic screwdriver my wife got me for XMAS was the Matt Smith one and not the David Tennent one!!

And I know I'm an old and wise sci-fi geezer because I didn't say aloud the above to my wife!
-------------------------------

I probably would have said the following under my breath: I would have much preferred a Tom Baker one, honey.

Posted on Feb 19, 2012 2:02:19 PM PST
There are indeed many Americans who are sadly missing out on Classic "Doctor Who". PBS, BBC America, or Syfy should really air those wonderful stories for new fans to discover. Thankfully, I am old enough to remember it as a young child on PBS in the early 80's. I have nostalgia and a deep fondness for Classic Who, so I have acquired many of the DVD's. A majority being from the Tom Baker era....of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2012 11:59:37 PM PST
I have a Tom Baker-esque scarf. I even have a similar hat. When I wear them together, nobody gets it, and I realize that the planet is probably doomed.
What's more geeky is the fact that I'm working on building a guitar modeled after the one Cosmic Cosmo uses in the Jetson's movie.
Also, I feel that after Frank Herbert passed, there should have been no more Dune novels. What Kevin J. Anderson and Brain Herbert have done to the series is worse than what Hollywood has done to them.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 10:36:15 AM PST
Geoffrey Pursel says:
I have a Tom Baker-esque scarf. I even have a similar hat. When I wear them together, nobody gets it, and I realize that the planet is probably doomed.
-----------------------------

Exactly. That alone would indeed make you think our Planet is doomed. When more Americans worship an awful, disgusting reality show like "Jersey Shore" as opposed to knowing about one of the best, morally enriching sci-fi/fantasy shows ever "Doctor Who"(Classic Tom Baker era that is). I have very little hope.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 11:16:29 AM PST
Here's my list of factors:

You remember the day that the SciFi (now SyFy) Channel debuted, and they had that 'countdown' before their programming actually began.

Sometimes you say "Apology accepted, Captain Needa" just because you like the line.

One of your internet password codes is "Trelaine".

You never tire of scifi and adventure movies like "Close Encounters", "The Goonies", "Logan's Run", "Back to the Future", "Contact", "Krull", "Capricorn One", "The Fifth Element", "Blade Runner".

Dr. Smith from the old "Lost in Space" show is one of your favorite comedy characters.

You read the likes of Heinlein, Bradbury, Asimov, Verne ... while others are reading Twilight, Grisham, or Nora Roberts.

Your Netflix queue contains the series "Space: 1999", "The Outer Limits", any "Planet of the Apes" film(s), and "Fantastic Voyage".

You yearn for a blu-ray release of the Star Wars Christmas special.

In your bedroom there is a plush tribble.

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 1:52:32 PM PST
And, apparently, some Sci Fi Geeks become teachers:

http://www.newser.com/story/140101/students-calculate-price-of-the-death-star.html

STUDENTS CALCULATE THE PRICE OF THE "DEATH STAR"

Posted on Feb 20, 2012 6:20:26 PM PST
R. Wilde says:

You never go anywhere without your towel.

I've got the original BSG series on DVD. I keep meaning to count how many times they launch the Vipers (since that was the most expensive piece of film they had, and wanted to use it as much as possible), but I keep forgetting. Does that reduce me to the status of SciFi Geek Wannabe?

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 7:46:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 25, 2012 7:48:49 PM PST
The great thing about technology today is that we CAN get so many things on demand that we liked as kids. I like pulling up old SF classic series on Netflix. It also amazes me what you can find on You-tube.

The first SF show I remember watching in NY back in the 50s was the cartoon "Colonel Bleep" (though I never could figure out back then why a spaceman rode around on a unicycle or had a puppet and a caveman as sidekicks). Sure enough, a few episodes are online to watch-> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nHlpi6RkKc

Edited to add: Ooh, and I finally get to see it in color instead of on a tiny B&W TV which is all that we had back then

Posted on Feb 25, 2012 8:08:13 PM PST
Yes, technology is indeed a wonderful thing....for the most part. I would say that the advancement of technology has not necessarily made film or music better though. You could say that it has taken away Human creativity and imagination by making it too easy.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2012 12:55:35 AM PST
On the classic BSG, the one thing I noticed with the Viper launches was that while the pilots would change, the smudge on the glass was always the same.

Posted on Feb 26, 2012 12:59:10 AM PST
You know you're surrounded by sci-fi geeks when you can say--"Yo' mama's so fat, that when she went to Pluto it became a planet again"---and they get it!

Posted on Feb 29, 2012 9:10:35 AM PST
Gilbert J. Avila says:
You know you're surrounded by sci-fi geeks when you can say--"Yo' mama's so fat, that when she went to Pluto it became a planet again"---and they get it!
-------------------------------

And Rick Santorum doesn't want anyone to get it! Which is quite frightening to me.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  34
Total posts:  71
Initial post:  Feb 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions