Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Military Science Fiction

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 143 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 7, 2011 3:25:48 PM PDT
My son loves Military science fiction. He has read just about everything by Ringo and Webber and Dickson's Dorsai stories. As that time of year is approaching, I wonder if there are any author/series suggestions?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2011 4:32:47 PM PDT
Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1)

That's the first book in a series of 5 I think. It's set entirely on warships that were stranded behind enemy lines and are trying to get back to their own side. Lots of combat.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 5:27:18 PM PDT
Haldeman's The Forever War is a classic.
Footfall is a great Earth invasion story.
You could try Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" 6-book series. Book 1-> Dauntless (The Lost Fleet, Book 1)
As a kid, I loved Saberhagen's Berserker books. Here is a collection of his stories-> Berserkers: The Beginning

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 7:19:10 PM PDT
K. J. Hart says:
Elizabeth Moon's Vattas war series.

Posted on Oct 7, 2011 10:09:37 PM PDT
misterclock says:
Taylor Anderson's Destroyermen series
John Birmingham's Axis of Time trilogy and After America series
Robert Conroy's alternate history books
Harry Turtledove's War that Came Early series
the book, Bolos: Their Finest Hours created by Keith Laumer (there's a whole Bolo anthology but most of them are out of print)
William C. Dietz's Legion of the Damned series
Aaron Dembski-Bowden's Night Lords series
Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers omnibus (release date: January 2012)

I hope your son enjoys some of these.

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 11:20:15 AM PDT
Kate R. says:
Hi Mark,
Check out The Stygian Conspiracy. It is exactly what you asked for - military sci-fi.
The Stygian Conspiracy (Nexus Arcana)

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 5:24:03 PM PDT
Cyad says:
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-Buettner/e/B001ITXPEK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_1
Orphanage series (If I remember, there are 5 books to the original series; 2 books so far in the followup series).

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 7:25:24 PM PDT
The two David's- Drake & Weber. There's a collection of the Hammer's Slammers and Honor Harrington is big battle space opera. Also Dan Abnett in Warhammer 40,000-especially the Guants Ghosts books

Posted on Oct 8, 2011 8:48:00 PM PDT
Chris says:
I recommend Patrick Henry's " ThMages of the Mountains" and "Remembering." The second novel, "Remembering" concerns entire space naval battles in the far future.

Posted on Oct 9, 2011 11:22:52 AM PDT
ComixDad says:
I would add an additional vote for the Elizabeth Moon books, both the Vatta Wars and the previous Heris Serrano books. The Serrano books are available in two Omnibus versions which makes them (slightly) less expensive. Drake also has a excellent space navy series, the Lt Leary books. Like the Honor Harrington books, loosely based on the Horatio Hornblower books, at least in their initial entries. Robert Conroy is more alternative history, but very good. Turtledove is an acquired taste (and I say that owning the entire American History series, from So Few Remain through the WWII/Jake Featherton books), you don't give your sons age so I'm not certain I would recommend it. Joe Haldeman, esp Forever War but much more as well, is a very good suggestion.

Not mentioned previously, I would add Jerry Pournelle. The title I'm thinking of (and I'm too lazy to walk to the basement to pull out the books) is King David's Spaceship, which has been collected in an omnibus as well. Going back a bit, Poul Anderson's Ensign Flandry series is also worth sharing with your son. H. Beam Piper has some very good space opera type stories as well, Empire and Federation are two collections of his short stories that I would recommend. Early Heinlein, i.e. Double Star, Starship Troopers and even Glory Road (a personal favorite albeit a bit more fantasy oriented) might pique his interest as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 9, 2011 1:36:02 PM PDT
Kevin K. says:
There is one book I read recently. I think that David Weber's Honor Harrington outclasses all, but "Beyond Mars Crimson Fleet" was a good read. The story is similar in some ways to "The Honor of the Queen" and "The Short Victorious War" rolled into one. The author apparently is either a military historian or served in the military himself by the way he describes weapons and the use of tactics. The battle scenes were actually really thrilling. I think that was the best part. You can read part of the book on smashwords.com for free so this way you can get a good idea about the story and how well the book is written. That way you won't be wasting your money if you don't like it.

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:28:37 AM PDT
D. Hawk says:
The Starfire Series (Crusade, Insurrection, In Death Ground, The Shiva Option, etc.) by David Weber and Steve White is a line of military sci-fi that I enjoy. Also, Forever Peace (sort of a re-envisioning of The Forever War) by Joe Haldeman is a good one. Plus, John Scalzi's books are memorable (Old Man's War).

Posted on Oct 27, 2011 5:41:36 AM PDT
If the son is not an adult, I would be careful about some of these authors. David Drake can be graphically nasty (North World) but the Lt. Leary series should be okay. The series by Cordelia's Honor (Vorkosigan Saga Omnibus: Shards of Honor / Barrayar) Lois Mcmaster Bujold is more space opera, but has lots of action in many of the books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 7:21:03 AM PDT
Kevin K. says:
I read one about 6 to 8 months ago called Beyond Mars Crimson Fleet. It was good, but know there are two versions of the book. The newest which has the hero fighting with an android at the bottom of the cover is the latest reedited addition. Also you can read about half the book at smashwords.com for free. That's what I did before deciding to buy it. I wrote a review on it giving it 3 1/2 to 4 stars. Weber i think is much better, but I love Honor Harrington. Still in some ways is equal to and occassionally better particularly in the battle scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2011 10:45:09 AM PDT
Ronald Craig says:
(Kevin, that's the second time you've plugged that book on this page. I remember when the author was plugging it himself, sometime last year or earlier this. I also seem to remember that he was fairly unpleasant when called on it. You're not shilling, are you?)

Posted on Oct 29, 2011 5:45:22 AM PDT
Mary Ellison says:
Another good series is "A Galaxy Unknown" 7-volume series by Thomas DePrima.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 4:56:22 PM PDT
Morrigel says:
If your son likes military SF and computer games he might like Sword of the Stars. The old game and the novel called The Deacon's Tale are pretty good. The writer has done a lot of military SF in games like Homeworld and Ground Control, and Sword of the Stars is similar in quality.

Posted on Oct 31, 2011 4:59:46 PM PDT
cant leave out star ship troopers series . tho 2 and 3 arent great still good.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 6:15:54 PM PDT
Cyad says:
Bill Baldwin's "The Helmsman". Not on kindle, but I liked it...if I remember right, there were 3 or 4 books in the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 9:33:36 AM PDT
scorn says:
The book by Robert Heinlein is THE classic in military SF. There are no sequels to it. The movies, to which you seem to be referring, are best avoided.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 9:49:27 AM PDT
Fud53 says:
Some really, really good suggestions from a former Marine: The Inheritance Trilogy, The Legacy Trilogy & The Heritage Trilogy. All by Ian Douglas and available on Kindle. The basic storyline is the United States Marine Corps in space from just after our era to the far future. Very well done and a fun read for you or your son. If you wikipedia it you can see the order of each trilogy and get them in order. Have fun!

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 10:12:33 AM PDT
AMH says:
Here are three to consider:
Ender's Game (Ender, Book 1) - It is character driven, but technically a military science fiction novel. The "military" component is primarily strategic. I think most science fiction nuts have probably read it. (On another note, the companion "Shadow Series" is as good and fits the bill as well.)
The Forever War - It is a great novel about the effect on soldiers going out to war and how the world changes around them as it happens.
Starship Troopers - The movies, cartoons, etc. have ruined people's perception of this book. In fact, it made me gun shy to read the book. It is a very good book on the top of most people's lists.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2011 11:08:47 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2011 11:09:30 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 11:10:17 AM PDT
Apologies... had not realised which forum I was in.

Posted on Nov 2, 2011 12:55:52 PM PDT
I liked the first 3 books in this series...Orphanage (Jason Wander)

War against invading slugs, with only orphans accepted into the force.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  77
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Oct 7, 2011
Latest post:  May 14, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions