Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Top 5 Sci-Fi Spacecraft from TV or Film?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 136 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 31, 2008 10:02:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2008 12:36:46 PM PST
Ryan Henry says:
Forgive me if this topic has been visited before, but what are your top 5 favorite spacecraft from sci-fi films or TV programs? Why do you like these spaceships? I'm a firm believer that in good science fiction, the "spaceship" -- so to speak, is often a character all to itself.

Here are my picks and my reasons why:

1. Nostromo (Alien): Hands down, this is probably the most desolate, terrifying and industrially nightmarish spacecraft I have ever seen depicted in ANY medium. A vast maze of both bright, sterile rooms and dank, filthy corridors -- the Nostromo is a perfect breeding ground for terror -- alien or otherwise.

2. Discovery (2001: A Space Odyssey): The Discovery is the closest thing to a plausible spacecraft ever put to film in the realm of sci-fi, thanks to the brilliance of Arthur C. Clarke. It is stark, inhuman, and chilling. Every detail of its design corresponds to scientific principles; so realistic in design that NASA submitted a proposal to build an Earth-to-Mars ship based on Discovery from the book/film! Even the "small problems" such as the centrifuge circumference and lack of external "radiators" or "heatsinks" along the exterior were pointed out by Clarke as pecadilloes of the film-making process. Combine the visions of the two craft (book/film) and you actually have a spaceship which could be built in the next 50 to 100 years.

3. Sulaco (Aliens): This is how I picture a science-fiction military transport. While not as claustrophobic as its commercial cinematic counterpart, the Nostromo, it has great atmosphere, lighting, and details.

4. Serenity (Firefly): This is the ultimate privateer -- just an all-around cool ship with a top-notch pilot and engineer. What can I say? The mere presence of a craft like Serenity opens up a thousand possibilities for space adventure.

5. Icarus II (Sunshine): A somewhat darker version of Discovery, in my opinion, the Icarus II is a semi-plausible design with a very utilitarian exterior and adjustable "shadow shield" crowning the stellar bomb, crew area, and enigine. While the interiors remind me of many other sci-fi settings, the sheer oddity of its profile makes up for a lack of interior originality. Too bad they couldn't have worked in a believeable artificial gravity environment. Kudos for the NERVA style fission propulsion system.

Honorable Mention - The Treeship (The Fountain): From Aronofsky's "Love-it-or-Hate-it" science fiction film -- this ship design throws all physics out the window and makes no apologies for such. It is crafted of technology that surpasses surreal. Its like nothing I've seen before.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 10:08:05 AM PST
Heck, I still like the X-wing fighter.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 10:08:50 AM PST
Ryan Henry says:
"Heck, I still like the X-wing fighter."

Nothing wrong with that! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 10:37:02 AM PST
Enterprise NCC-1701 D

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 10:46:02 AM PST
Boba Dad says:
Klingon warships have always been topnotch for me.
And somehow, the simplicity of the saucer in Forbidden Planet.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 12:07:04 PM PST
Here's my two cents:

5. The original Battlestar Galactica.
4. The USS Enterprise from "The Wrath of Khan"
3. The original Cylon BaseStar fom Battlestar Galactica
2. Klingon Battle-cruisers (both from the original series and the bulkier ones from DS9)
And finally, my Number One Space vessel, hands down:
1. The Imperial Star Destroyers from the Original Trilogy of Star Wars

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 2:20:23 PM PST
D. S. Moss says:
Its got to be the Shadows "Spider" ships from B5 - combined with the sound effect they were just downright chilling ...(and I know that technically in space no one can hear you scream ;-) )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 2:21:19 PM PST
Loken says:
The Millennium Falcon
Slave 1
T.A.R.D.I.S

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 2:27:47 PM PST
To All:
Oh come on, how can we forget Romulan Warbirds. As someone remarks in one of the ST novels, "Klingons were more interested in blowing up spaceships than constructing them."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2008 2:44:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 31, 2008 2:46:38 PM PST
I have to say I liked the ugly spaceships in "Silent Running."
And I'm embarrassed to admit I have liking for the "Space 1999" Eagles. And I have unbuilt models of the original Battlestar Galactica, , a base star, and a Romulan warbird from ST the original series!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 12:23:50 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 1, 2009 12:25:02 PM PST
Mrs. Garside says:
Yes! As I was reading through this thread, I was appalled that no one had yet mentioned the TARDIS!

I like the Millennium Falcon too. And although I side with the rebels politically, I always preferred TIE fighters to X-wings.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 12:49:21 PM PST
Well, I'm not sure I ever thought of the TARDIS as a space ship, as such, but nothing can top it for cool, especially in it's later incarnations. I agree that Serenity is way cool as a privateer and for looks alone I vote for the Warbird. No one has mentioned Moya. Come on! A living space ship? That can have a baby space ship and still function?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 2:34:18 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 26, 2011 2:03:26 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 2:39:17 PM PST
Battle Beyond The Stars--A spaceship with boobies!! :-D
The Alien ship from Alien.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 3:01:59 PM PST
javi says:
how about the ships from stargate sg-1 apollo and dedaleus or there x-303 or any of the ships of that show.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 5:56:10 PM PST
whiterabbit says:
Eagle (Space 1999).

The Eagles are still cool spaceships, all these many years later. And yes I liked the series too! *blushing a little but grinning defiantly*

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2009 7:43:25 PM PST
Joe W says:
White Star (Babylon 5)
Serenity
Galactica (new ones)
Andromeda (loved the ship, hated the show)
Cylon Raider (new ones that were actually Cylons)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 12:34:41 AM PST
thexternal says:
1) Ori mother ships from Stargate SG-1

2) Go'ould motherships from SG-1

3) Enterprise D and E

4) Battlestar Pegasus

5) The defiant from DS9

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 1:49:33 AM PST
R. Reichert says:
@theexternal
Hehe, your favorite are the toilet seat cruzers :)

White Star (B5)
Voyager (im sorry its just so nice looking and the way the NaCells bend while going into warp makes my knees ache)
Moya (farscape.. Hismana! its alive!)
Serenity (an entire episode dedicated to just the ship of a 13 episode Series.. everybody can fall in love with the firefly after watching it)
Atlantis (stargate Atlantis. Its a City that is also a space ship Enough said)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 7:10:02 AM PST
mostserene1 says:
Don't forget Lexx.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:26:13 AM PST
F. Falone says:
How about the USS Saratoga and the Hammerheads and Chig fighters from Space Above and Beyond?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 9:42:26 AM PST
thexternal says:
LOL. I had to think about this for a few seconds. Yes they do look like toilet bowls. The Asguard also had pretty cool ships.

Voyager has to be the toughest ship of them all. It survived everything that was thrown at it. And don't forget the damage it took in "The Year Of Hell" episode.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 11:51:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 2, 2009 11:53:22 AM PST
Vincent says:
1. The Necromonger spaceships from 'The Chronicles of Riddick"
2. The Millenium Falcon
3. Firefly
4. The T.A.R.D.I.S.
5. Event Horizon

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 1:31:30 PM PST
I have often thought how cool it would be to have a home or spaceship for that matter that appeared to thieves and tax appraisers to be a privy on the outside but was in fact an elaborate, beautiful multi-level structure on the inside with a swimming pool. This "technology" was pretty much unique to the T.A.R.D.I.S., Dr. Who's ride through space and time.
Buck Rogers' flyer didn't have a name I can recall and was more like a sports car or a fighter plane than a space ship. But it was cool.
The Liberty, one of the ships flown by the good guys on Blakes 7, had transport capabilities and could out run anything in Servalan's Federation. I probably would have reprogrammed the computer's voice to something female, sexy and more self-confident (ala Majel Barrett's Star Fleet computers), but this too was a cool ship.
Firefly's Serenity and the the Gossamer Sailors that Jake and Benjamin Sisko piloted in an episode of Deep Space 9 were also cool rigs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 1:33:52 PM PST
Can you imagine being the navigator on the alien saucers from UFO? They'd be dizzy all the time. And I love the really ugly fighters with that giant torpedo on the nose and the SHADO mobiles. (I still have my toys of the latter 2).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  114
Total posts:  136
Initial post:  Dec 31, 2008
Latest post:  Dec 4, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions