Star Wars acquired by Disney - Episode 7 green-lighted for 2015

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 80 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 1:44:27 PM PDT
W.T. says:
http://www.salon.com/2012/10/30/reuters_disney_plans_seventh_star_wars_in_2015/

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 1:56:26 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
I seem to remember that even before the first Star Wars came out, the plan was for a total of 9 movies or three trilogies. After I saw the two sequels it didn't seem like such a good idea...

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:00:05 PM PDT
W.T. says:
The difference is that this is Lucas passing the torch to the next generation. He's only a consultant. Who knows what the result will be.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:13:16 PM PDT
Let's hope that Disney does a better job of marketing than they did with "John Carter."

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:36:23 PM PDT
R. Wilde says:
My first thought when I heard this was "oh no, a Mickey Mouse/ Star Wars crossover?"

Then I remembered Ewoks and Gungans.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:49:52 PM PDT
*** Projectile vomiting ***

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:47:46 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Can't be any worse than the last two movies...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 5:48:31 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
I wonder what the marketing guy Disney fired is doing these days?

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 7:15:32 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Disney does need a new princess, seeing that Dejah Thoris didn't work out.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:02:18 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:04:38 PM PDT
Brian Foster says:
Well maybe Disney will let Joss Whedon have it since he did a good job with the Avengers. Heck, go ahead and put Robert Downey Jr in there as Han Solo while you're at it.

Now in all seriousness, this is surprising but welcome news. Not so much the fact that Disney has the property. (I don't really like Disney) I'm really just over joyed that we don't have to worry about George Lucas finding any more new ways to screw up this property. Surely, unless they are absolutely insane, Disney can give us something better than the abysmal Star Wars prequels. That's what I'm hoping for.

Last of all, maybe Disney will get greedy enough to give un the orignial theatrical versions, mastered for bluray.

Expect all existing Star Wars dvds and blurays to leap in price now. I wouldn't be surprised if Disney even tried to pull them from shelves just to get out packaging with their name on it.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:05:35 PM PDT
Brian Foster says:
Here is George Lucas speaking on the matter...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyqlTi7lkhY&feature=youtu.be

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:06:57 PM PDT
Old Rocker says:
Jeez, I just saw where Lucas is getting over $4 billion for it. Not million... billion.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 8:50:30 PM PDT
Brian Foster says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:14:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 5:20:22 AM PDT
W.T. says:
I hope Disney never gets the lamebrained idea to recast any of the original roles, unless they're going to skip 30 years in the future and they need someone to play "old Han" or "old Leia". Otherwise, the roles are far too iconic for another actor to ever play any of the characters in their primes.

That said, this has the potential to be a good move for both Disney and Star Wars. Disney already has Lucas' old Pixar company.

And the ILM acquisition alone will have an immediate huge impact on the film industry, since they do well over half of the combined effects of all sci-fi movies made. Will Disney play well with 20th Century Fox and Paramount if they want to continue using ILM effects in most of their big movies, or will this force them to look elsewhere, marginalizing ILM and knocking them off their throne as the effects kings?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:39:28 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Well maybe Disney will let Joss Whedon have it since he did a good job with the Avengers. Heck, go ahead and put Robert Downey Jr in there as Han Solo while you're at it."

More likely they (Disney) will give it to Tim Burton and Johnny Depp will be the Jedi Knight...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:41:49 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Jeez, I just saw where Lucas is getting over $4 billion for it. Not million... billion."

That's still a surprisingly low price IMO - Disney paid a lot more than that for Pixar...

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:13:09 AM PDT
http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2019559978_apusdisneylucasfilm.html
LUCAS FILMS SOLD TO DISNEY

Like Gilbert, I'm not real happy with this. Disney didn't do any PR for "John Carter", and their only notable Sci Fi films before that were "Tron", parts 1 and 2 - decades apart. Their best production team is Bruckheimer, who did the "Pirates of the Carribbean" series. Unknown if he likes science fiction enough to take on the next "Star Wars" trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:45:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 6:45:31 AM PDT
W.T. says:
On the other hand, perhaps this is Disney's way of shoring up a perceived deficiency. By bringing in Star Wars, they suddenly have legit sci-fi credentials (and adventure credentials too, as Indy Jones in part of this deal as well). And ILM makes Disney now the "go-to" place for special effects for all studios.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:18:50 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Now that the infamous Disney lawyers are going to be patrolling the Star Wars waters, I would quietly and quickly pull down any "fan edits" of the movies that I had up. Disney is notorious for persecuting people who dare to touch their properties, even their biggest fans.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:50:00 AM PDT
I think all Lucas sold was his film division and the "Star Wars" franchise. Lucas may still own his multiple technology companies:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2945997/posts
INDUSTRIAL LIGHT AND MAGIC (Special Effects)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/THX
THX (SOUND) LIMITED

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:35:42 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Lucas may still own his multiple technology companies:"

According to the press release I saw - those were part of the deal too... (which is why I think 4 Bil is a bit low).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:44:05 PM PDT
Brian Foster says:
I would quietly and quickly download all such fan edits.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:46:46 PM PDT
Brian Foster says:
No matter what happens here, I feel that more Star Wars has the "potential" to be a good thing. I don't really think that Disney was the best home for it, but I am sure as hell thrilled to death that George Lucas no longer has it. That man did more than anyone to ruin Star Wars for me.

There are definitely some interesting times ahead for us movie fans and geeks. I predict that Star Wars 7 will outgross Titanic and Avatar.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:54:52 PM PDT
At least we already know that "Star Wars on Ice" will be set on Hoth. Walkers on ice skates!(Sarcasm)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  21
Total posts:  80
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions