Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Who's your favourite Sci Fi villain

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 25, 2012 6:01:46 AM PST
Lord Baal says:
I'll start with The Operative from Serenity. Chiwetel Ejiofors portrayal of a man capable of horrendous acts because he had faith that the end justified any means has a chilling plausibility that transcends masks and superpowers.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:06:59 AM PST
Ada Davis says:
"The Mule" from Asimov's Foundation trilogy
Psi Cop Al Bester from Babylon 5
Scorpius from Farscape
Ben Linus from Lost
Queen Arienrhod from Vinge's The Snow Queen (also fits the "memorable female characters" thread)
and, of course, HAL from 2001

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:39:34 AM PST
Old Rocker says:
Doctor Smith

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 12:29:43 PM PST
Marc "Blackie" Du Quesne from the Skylark series.

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 3:22:16 PM PST
MommaCat says:
The Borg

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 4:02:54 PM PST
Chance says:
The Cylons from BSG (the re-imagined series)

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 4:40:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 26, 2012 4:41:07 PM PST
Rev. Otter says:
L. Bob Rife, from Snow Crash

and if you don't know who that is, just pretend i said Jean-Baptiste Emanuel Zorg, from The Fifth Element. :)

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 7:08:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 27, 2012 7:09:18 AM PST
W.T. says:
Grand Admiral Thrawn from Timothy Zahn's Star Wars Thrawn Trilogy.

Those three novels really rose above their "for hire" origins to become classics, and Thrawn will always rank as the best Star Wars villain ever in my book.

Better than Vader. Better than Palpatine. Why? Because he had nuance.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 11:30:51 PM PST
Smith says:
Zorg for sure ... a creature of the underworld if ever there were one

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 11:35:47 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I can't believe I'm coming up blank right now. It's making me angry.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 4:26:50 AM PST
epb says:
I'm going to go with Darth Vader in the first Star Wars. It's easy to forget how impressive he was in the first film - not just powerful and ruthless, but also competent and skilled.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 12:53:43 PM PST
I've always liked Doctor Fu Manchu.

Posted on Dec 30, 2012 2:13:05 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Baron Harkonnen has stood the test of time for me. I have something vaguely relevant to the topic from my great store of anecdotes, once upon a time I helped a friend create a bad guy--I was beta reading his second novel and hit my tolerance for boring, cartoony villains, so I persuaded him he needed to fix the problem (in his next effort naturally). I whipped up a quick monograph and a long chain of emails on building interesting villains and then helped him make it work. Needless to say I was quite gratified to see that reviewers loved the villain and wanted to see more of him.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 5:47:53 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I was thinking him, but to me that's kind of obvious (not trying to knock your answer).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 10:44:32 AM PST
W.T. says:
Only, now he's retroactively the hero of the overall saga.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2012 5:23:46 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Commissioner Simok Aratap is not quite so well known and maybe a bit more controversial, I'm in something of minority in considering "The Stars Like Dust" possibly Asimov's best novel. These guys are famous and have a lot of name recognition too: Captain Nemo and Doctor Moreau. Tetsuo from "Akira" probably belongs in the same category.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 3:11:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2013 3:11:40 PM PST
Desslok from the Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato). He starts off as a card-carrying fascist bad guy, although with a streak of honor to him. What's fascinating is watching his character develop through the series. At first he doesn't really hate the heroes, because he doesn't take them seriously; he even congratulates them when they escape his traps. After they've succeeded in really hurting him, though, he dedicates his life to a mad quest for vengeance.

Yet at the very end, when he has finally won and has them at his mercy-- he realizes that everything they've done is exactly what he would have done in their place, and that when all's said and done, he's come to respect them too much to strike the last blow. He delivers this wonderful, introspective speech about the nature of war and how it seldom allows us to be our better selves, but that a war has to end some time. He holsters his gun, offers the heroes some advice on how to beat their other major antagonist, and leaves them in peace. Ultimately, the heroes' bravery and self-sacrifice hasn't physically beaten him -- but their example has made him a better person.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 10:35:22 PM PST
K. J. Hart says:
Norman Arminger from S.M. Stirlings change series
The Detweiler Clan from David Webers Honor Harrington series
Drongo Kane from A. Bertram Chandlers John Grimes Series

Posted on Jan 26, 2013 11:00:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2013 11:01:05 AM PST
My list changes, of course, like everybody else's. But at the moment, kudos to Mickey Rourke as the Russian baddie in IronMan2. I didn't care for the movie as a whole, but Rourke with his battered face and electro-slice whips were Tres Kool!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 2:43:48 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
"Tres Kool"? Qu'est ce que ça veut dire?

Posted on Jan 27, 2013 7:35:42 AM PST
Excellent, excellent bad guy: Archimandrite Luseferous from Iain M. Banks' The Algebraist.

Posted on Jan 28, 2013 3:17:12 PM PST
M. Carole says:
This is a bit of alternate history versus sci-fi, but Ian Tregellis has a series starting with Bitter Seeds. One of the engineered children, Gretel, is a prescient who is my new favorite villain - she's insidious and unpredictable and not specifically bad, so much as working under an entirely different framework than the rest of us. Extremely well plotted, especially in the second book where her evil takes twenty years to come to fruition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 2:31:04 PM PST
Ciel 1101 says:
Dearth Vader, of course! That's the only one I can think of at the...GLaDOS! GLaDOS and Darth Vader hands down.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 25, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions