1) The suborbital "cruise" is BS. If some multi-millionaire wants to spend a million or more to go up and down that's his business. But the average Joe isn't going anywhere! If they want to make it a novelty ride for the ultrarich fine. Personally I think it's a waste of money.
1a) no comment required.
1b) Disney in space? I imagine if they could pull it off they would. But don't bet the ranch.
2) We went from Mercury to the Moon in eight years because there was a national ferver to beat the Russians. That competition was seen as a patriotic duty almost. It was a war, albiet a cold war, but a war just the same. So all those resources were sent to the space program. It's not the same anymore. The average person couldn't care less about going into space. The people's focus is not going to be on space travel but on jobs and income. There are some very tough times ahead my friend and the money is going to go to the needs of this country and space adventures aren't a need.
3) The spaceplane that NASA has been talking about for years may or may not become a reality but I'm telling you the economy is the focus now. The geopolitics of the world economy is going to be what drives the decisions about what to spend on. The DoD is going to get it's money! Their space programs will go ahead but NASA is going to be cut back drastically in the coming years. Any company wanting to try to make this concept a reality is going to find money hard to come by. It's a very risky venture with really little to attract investors other than the guy who owns Virgin this and that. Whatever his name is. He's into it so great. But the average investor isn't even considering it. The time is fast coming where the government is going to take over many of the necessary industries. The Chinese model of a controlled economy is the coming thing and everyone knows it. By 2060 economists expect the Chinese economy to have a GDP of 121 Tillion dollars! Let that figure sink in. We are going backwards my friend and the economy just isn't going to be there for these kinds of ventures.
4) After 9/11 I DO NOT FLY anywhere at anytime! I will never fly again! Thank you!
You'd be happy to go. Great! You got a couple of million bucks do you? Good for you. I don't and it doesn't matter anyway since I don't fly. But the average person is never going to be able to afford to go. Launch costs are never going to get to that level to allow some one like me (economically speaking here) to afford to go. It's a pipe dream kid.
5) I didn't say it couldn't be done but you have to be reasonable about human nature. People must be motivated to act and right now they're not even motivated enough to spend enough time to really learn and understand what is going on with they're atmosphere and environment. The vast majority of Americans are ignorant fools. They go to work and do what they're told to do. Go home, fight with their spouses eat, watch nonsense on TV, go to bed, have sex if they didn't fight, roll over and go to sleep. In the morning they get up and do the same thing over again. Every day same as the day before. And that's all they want to do. They want their TV's, music, their appliances, their computers so they can facebook somebody, the women want to gossip with their girlfriends and see if they can seduce the hunk next door, the men want to seduce the divorcee down the street or at work and watch football and drink beer. The kids want their X-box or PS3, their MP3 player, and to get away from their parents. Oh and smoke pot! Their parents smoke too but they don't share with the kids! Do you really expect this population of stoned people to care about this stuff?
You are dreaming my friend!
6) It doesn't matter if you're convinced or not the truth is we need to rebuild our infrastructure and if they, the powers that be, decide to cut NASA's budget it's going to get cut. If you think the stimulus money put up last year is going to fix everything you're crazy! With a capital C!
7) How soon will "Virgin Galactic" turn a profit? When the owner is dead and gone along with his son and grandson if then.
My friend: If you want to spend your money on this pipedream you're welcome to.
As for me I'm gonna go to Walmart and buy my Sam's cola, Great Value potato chips, Great Value cereal bars, Mrs Freshley's brownies, Little Debbie cakes, fruit cocktail (in heavy syrup), toilet paper, paper towels, sausage, Jambalya mix, Red Beans and Rice mix, chicken, hamburger, spaghetti, spaghetti sauce and air freshener.
Then I'm going to try to get the Temple Owls' basketball game on some TV or internet outlet to enable me to watch them win another game!
Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum
AnnouncementRead fresh new science fiction stories - and help take them to the next level
|6||May 20, 2015|
AnnouncementImportant announcement from Amazon
|190||Jul 2, 2014|
AnnouncementNew Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
|29||Sep 24, 2014|
|Too many female authors flooding sci fi , fantasy books||238||2 days ago|
|Help with space opera book name please||3||7 days ago|
|Kindle Unlimited: Science Fiction Recommendations||115||8 days ago|
|Looking for Recommendations - Dystopian reading||34||8 days ago|
|If you had input into a story...||10||12 days ago|
|blade runner?||16||14 days ago|
|Science-Fiction and comic book convenion story's.||0||14 days ago|
|Your Favorite Science-Fiction books and films of the year?||41||15 days ago|
|"Isaac Asimov Presents Great Science Fiction" hard cover issues||0||15 days ago|