Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

Finding good reads in sci-fi and fantasy

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 12, 2012 2:01:33 PM PST
MadPotter says:
I have found a problem with sci-fi and fantasy in the last few years. Since the demise of the cheap romance book market, those authors have turned to writing sci-fi and fantasy romances. most of which are slightly altered romance novels. No thought about plot development, possibly some of the worst books that were ever written. To weed this garbage out ifirst check out the authors history on Fantastic Fiction before you buy from Amazon. Is anyone else having a problem with this?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 7:07:58 PM PST
K. Rowley says:
" Is anyone else having a problem with this?"

Never noticed - guess I haven't run across any of those authors.. Could you give a few examples - authors or books?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:18:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 10:19:15 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
I haven't found much to my taste the last couple decades, but it's been easy enough for me to winnow out the wheat from the chaff. Even with the self published crew, I can usually recognize authors who will write the kind of book I like from either their forum participation or interviews and occasionally even a plug from a reliable source.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:29:46 AM PST
Chance says:
Nope, I've not had that issue. Of course, I wasn't aware that the cheap romance book market went under.

I've had more issues of late sorting out young adult and paranormal fantasy.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 5:59:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 6:00:10 AM PST
Psylocide says:
My taste in sci-fi is pretty specific, so I usually end up going back to my favorite authors and rereading. In a genre that has such a wide spectrum of sub-genres within, it's difficult finding exactly what you're 'in to.' I think the same could apply for romance.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:31:46 AM PST
M. Carole says:
Actually the number of science fiction titles released year over year has either held steady or gone up in the past ten years, as has the number of paranormal romance releases. So it's not like one market is being pillaged for another. In fact some subgenres of sci-fi like young adult / dystopian / steampunk are exploding right now. So I think your issue is really that you are fishing in a bigger pool than before and it's harder to find what you like. One place to check is Goodreads. The reviews are more honest and their "if you like this, then you'll like that" engines are better.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 9:17:53 PM PST
Why is this "Fantastic Fiction" website so special?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:28:00 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 17, 2012 10:32:41 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:01:21 PM PST
It's great for tracking down the works of authors in the sci-fi, fantasy, thriller, and even mystery genres--it also lists their various pen names so you can look out for those titles too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 9:30:38 PM PST
I think the cheap romance novel is still alive and well. My Aunt has a room with shelves on every wall stocked top to bottom with the stuff. I prefer to write and read science fiction but they have to be more than soap operas in space. My alien protagonist wouldn't know what to do with a woman if he tripped over one, at least not in the beginning. I used to like reading Alistair McLain's books (not science fiction at all) years ago because the stories never got bogged down in mush.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 11:44:21 AM PST
@Frances and M. Carole and Mad Potter, I agree that the "pool" of subgenre choices has grown larger in the last decade. And scifi has benefited from its many women authors, a few of whom are ex-Marines like Ellizabeth Moon. The paranormal fantasy/scifi subgenre does seem to be newer and growing, which is fine by me even tho I often read hard SF with weird aliens. Tom.

Posted on Nov 21, 2012 2:49:54 PM PST
Richard says:
This is a common problem.
With the demise of the dime novel and story magazines in the early 1960s
authors turned to science fiction becasue it was the biggest market left.

THAT is when we got a deluge of "touchy/feely" psychological stories with science fiction brushed over it.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 3:25:34 PM PST
Ralph says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 3:28:37 PM PST
stop the self-promotion, already. Tip - people hate it and won't buy your book for that very reason.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 4:11:10 PM PST
I'd be more receptive to a story written by a frequent poster.

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 4:28:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 4:31:16 PM PST
There are tons of Paranormal Romance out there, courtesy of the "Twilight" books and movies. But there is also plenty of SFR (Science Fiction Romance), they just haven't had a hit book like "Twilight" that can cross-over into the mainstream. But here's a website from 2010 that lists some "Must Read" SFR books:

http://www.thegalaxyexpress.net/2010/05/what-are-must-read-science-fiction.html
WHAT ARE MUST-READ SCIENCE FICTION ROMANCE BOOKS?

Posted on Dec 9, 2012 10:17:18 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2012 10:21:24 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I'm kind of a late bloomer when it comes to reading, but I'm still young, and I like a certain sci fi story but I'm also having a hard time finding books to read, so I end up rereading stuff. Right now I'm just rereading the Halo books, and I Am Legend(I can't believe they only sell the one with will smith on the cover), and I just popped open The Forever War for the first time.

Fantasy isn't really my thing though.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:33:59 PM PST
Have you read the newest Halo books like Grasslands? I haven't and noticed they have very mixed reviews.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 9, 2012 10:47:02 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I skipped that one. I read the sample and I didn't really like Karen traviss's writing. Some of it was in present tense, and I heard it is all about blasting Dr. Halsey for the Spartan program and how they kidnapped kids. A little bit of this is alluded to in Halo 4. I did read the next one though, the Thursday War. That one was okay, the only good parts were the hinting at the Didact, but it is a steep drop from Eric Nylund's writing and the battles. Now that i think about it and I'm too lazy to delete what I already wrote, Karen tends to emphasize more feelings into characters. I was just shocked to see the interaction between the Covenant and Humans, like them learning and knowing each others languages, sometimes without translation software. I'm thinking about purchasing Glasslands, I figure I might as well read what happens to Fred, Tom, and Lucy from Ghost of Onyx.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2012 9:07:55 AM PST
YES! I hate the way they do this now. It's so very annoying. We have one big chain book store and I absolutely hate the way they set it up now. I want to strangle who ever made the executive decision to set up young adult and paranormal fantasy young adult sections. Whoever their store designer is needs to be replaced by someone who knows a thing or two about these sections and these books. Something needs to be done. It makes me crazy online as well. I don't know who makes these distinctions, I guess the publishers, but it's a mess.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 9:55:54 AM PST
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Books-Science-Fiction-Fantasy/zgbs/books/25

AMAZON'S LIST OF BEST SELLING SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 2:51:54 PM PST
I wonder why the sudden interest in Disc World?

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 12:12:31 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 23, 2012 12:50:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 1:57:55 PM PST
self promo is not permitted. Please stop spamming.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
182 Feb 23, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
27 Jan 25, 2014
Sci-Fi Short Story Name? 1 3 days ago
Military Science Fiction 131 4 days ago
science fiction spacecraft 14 6 days ago
Favorite sci fi book of the past 10 years 79 8 days ago
Has anyone read Rene Barjavel? 3 13 days ago
Rise of the tau book 2 and 3 (WH 40K), Robert Allen 8 17 days ago
Science Fictiony Music Videos 132 23 days ago
Can't find this sci-fi short story. Help. 4 27 days ago
Looking for a Sci-Fi book, can't remember the name of it, please help 3 29 days ago
Trying against all odds to find the name of this Science Fiction book I remember having when I was too young to understand it? 5 Mar 20, 2014
ARRAY(0x9b80c7ec)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Nov 12, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions