Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

how to find old books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-31 of 31 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:52:54 PM PST
What's the scifi/fantasy element?

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 11:14:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:22:00 PM PST
I've asked for this title or author in many forums, including here, but since people are willing to help I'll try again.
Most suggestions I receive are to the Danny Dunn series, but that's not it.

This book was thick, I estimate about 400 pages. The cover was yellow/gold and had the consistency of cloth over cardboard. It was already rather old and beaten up in 1968.
The story involved a 'time radio' that allowed the young adventurers to hear a conversation from any time in the past. Set the gadget up in a specific place, tune it to the specific past moment and any conversation or other noises from that moment in time would be heard through the receiver.
They used it to hunt for pirate treasure down in the Bahamas or Florida keys. As I recall, the climax of the book was discovering a hidden cave where the pirate treasure chest was buried.
Why didn't they go back to hear the sermon on the mount? Hey, they were just kids!

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:13:14 AM PST
C. Henderson says:
I'm trying to remember the title of a Sci-Fi book I read maybe 10 years ago, and I don't think the book was new then. It was in paperback. Here's what I can remember of the plot: Scientists in the arctic find the body of a Gladiator frozen in the ice. He is revived. His memory of who he was comes back slowly. I can't remember the author but I think it was a male. Any help out there?
Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 4:28:18 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"Scientists in the arctic find the body of a Gladiator frozen in the ice."

The Far Arena by Richard Sapir

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:11:59 AM PST
C. Henderson says:
THANK YOU!!! The Far Arena, WOW. It's been driving me nutz for ages. You're amazing!

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:50:13 PM PST
you might try good reads. they have a lot of books whose covers have changed over time and they show the original covers in some cases and then the new ones as well. I know because I looked up a lot of my favorite books from junior high and recognized the old covers as opposed to the new (trying to jump on the stupid popularity bandwagon of some other book) rereleased covers that they're coming out with now. you might also just try googling what you remember and use search book about .... and sometimes that might pull up something. if it doesn't pull up a site with pictures look under that same search in google images. chances are someone out there is fan who posted pics of their book collection. you can also try abebooks or alibis.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions