Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

how to find old books

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 5, 2012 9:47:24 PM PDT
I vaguely remember sci fi books from the 60s that I read as a kid but cannot remember title or author. I have a vague recollection of what the books were about. is there any way to find these books. for instance, I remember a series of books where the main characters traveled in time. I remember one book's cover had a woman and a robot in a ship. I also remember a story where a town was taken up into space. if anyone has any suggestions on where a person can go to look up the old book covers and backs so you can get an idea of what the books are about, that would be helpful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 9:51:32 PM PDT
you need to find a SF nerd from the 60s who remembers

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2012 10:29:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 5, 2012 10:29:52 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Susan, if you can remember more about the books that might be helpful, but with just the details you've given someone here might be able to help out. Otherwise, if you want to just graze over old covers, you could go to this website, it's got an amazing collection of old covers:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 6:15:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 6, 2012 6:25:04 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"I also remember a story where a town was taken up into space."

You might take a look at this book; Manhattan Transfer,
thats the plot for it.

Just try and remember as much as you can and ask about the particular book here - I think there are a number of people who participate here that have read a lot of scifi over the years.

You might also want to look over this Wikipedia page;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Science_fiction_novels_by_decade

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:05:50 AM PDT
Here's a few more websites that might be helpful:

http://www.technovelgy.com
http://scifibookworld.com/
http://classics.jameswallaceharris.com/

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 7:46:17 AM PDT
The first thing that comes to mind is "Tom Swift" but that could be totally wrong.

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 1:33:29 PM PDT
the town taken into space: it was written before the 70s, when I read it. it was a small town, not a big city. I remember it talked about a bubble appearing overnight and the town taking off. I really didn't get that far into the book. I think it was one of the ones stolen from me at school. :(

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 2:33:00 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
Hi Susan, these don't quite match, but you might look at them and see if they jog any memories:

Cities in Flight

City at World's End

[All Flesh Is Grass (Masters of Science Fiction)

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 4:25:23 PM PDT
try looking at "And then the town took off."

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 4:33:19 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Doesn't ring a bell.. but as for small towns - The novels 1632, 1633, 1634 by Eric Flint has a town transported back in time... that happens also in Island in the Sea of Time by S. Stirling - a small town from new england gets transported somehow to the time of the early greeks..

There was also an old story I read recently, but don't remember the title, where there is an earthquake and a building gets sent back in time...

Posted on Oct 6, 2012 8:17:30 PM PDT
I would guess "Cities in Flight" also.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 6, 2012 8:29:14 PM PDT
Is this it?: http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/richard-wilson/and-then-town-took-off.htm / Earthquake sends a skyscraper back in time? Sounds like Leinster's "The Runaway Skyscraper."

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 6:58:15 AM PDT
Start here

http://www.amazon.com/The-Sky-Is-Falling-ebook/sim/B004TPVBBE/2/ref=pd_cp_kstore_sexpl

These are free classic sci fi. It used to be easy to find these because all of these books would have nothing but other free classics under the people also bought links. Now it's a bit harder. Look through them, download by description or just for the heck of it because they are free.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 12:42:35 PM PDT
This is what I was going to say. This would be a great time to go to a specialized SF bookstore and talk to the owner...

Noah Mullette-Gillman
Author of Luminous and Ominous

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 12:59:32 PM PDT
rylett says:
'worldswithoutend.com' seems to be a site that specializes in old SF books.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 1:03:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2012 1:03:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 7, 2012 1:15:48 PM PDT
Haunting the aisles of old bookstores is always rewarding.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 1:23:21 PM PDT
Tom Rogers says:
We're starting to run out of those Gilbert, in my part of the world, "The Little Bookshop of Horrors" was the last really good old indie bookstore that catered to my interests in SF and horror and it's long gone. Even that was getting problematic towards the end, since the owner wasn't getting much new or used stock in, though it always had a good collection of indie and small press stuffs.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 4:48:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2012 4:52:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2012 4:59:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 7, 2012 5:02:21 PM PDT
greymouse says:
Cover images often bring back memories of the stories they went with. You might get lucky by searching through the Vintage Science Fiction Book Covers collection. If not, it's at least fun looking. They've indexed their presentation by decade. The site is here:

http://vintagesciencefictionbookcovers.tumblr.com/

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 7:53:45 AM PDT
Okay, it is And Then the Town Took Off. I recognize the cover. My mom had the double book with the Sioux Spaceman. Now, if only my dad hadn't thrown out all her books when she died because he didn't want them. bad daddy!!! should of asked us kids if we wanted them first. but now at least I know which book to get. Thanks!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 8:43:27 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Okay, it is And Then the Town Took Off."

Fictionwise has it for under $5.. and you can get it in mobi format, so that it will work on a Kindle..

http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook72437.htm?cache

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 6:57:06 PM PDT
You should really check in at the "Old Codgers" forum. We have answers to Sci-Fi and Fantasy questions people haven't yet asked.

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 5:59:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 9, 2012 6:04:20 AM PDT
Billy says:
Ironically, Amazon's listings are themselves a great resource for looking up old books. I've found many great VERY hard-to-find books here that I didn't previously know existed by looking ten or fifteen pages deep in the search results, and it's unusual to get a good price on it too. This is definitely a "buyer's market" here.

Amazon has literally become my #1 resource to not only find old books, but also to learn what's out there. It's one of the best educational tools around for old books.

An example: I learned who C. L. Moore was and became a fan in this way. I was already a fan of the sci-fi of Edmond Hamilton, so while searching on Amazon for more of his out-of-print books, I got some results for Henry Kuttner also. I learned that in addition to mysteries, he had written some space operas similar to Hamilton's stuff. So I search for Kuttner, and I get results for C. L. Moore. Reading reviews of her books, I discover that she was married to Kuttner and actually co-wrote a substantial part of his output, in addition to her solo work.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:14:48 PM PST
I am trying to find the title of an older book. I read about 20 years ago. I remember it is about a girl with 2 brothers. The girl meets an older man who owns hotels and mentors her. The brothers want to rob him but she refuses. The older man ends up dying and leaving his hotel(s) to the girl instead of his own family and his family sues and wins. She eventually works hard, saves money and buys the hotel back. Any suggestions?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Science Fiction forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Announcement
Important announcement from Amazon
182 Feb 23, 2014
Announcement
New Star Wars Release: The Jedi Path now available. Read the author's insider notes...
27 Jan 25, 2014
Military Science Fiction 131 19 hours ago
science fiction spacecraft 14 2 days ago
Favorite sci fi book of the past 10 years 79 4 days ago
Has anyone read Rene Barjavel? 3 9 days ago
Rise of the tau book 2 and 3 (WH 40K), Robert Allen 8 14 days ago
Science Fictiony Music Videos 132 19 days ago
Can't find this sci-fi short story. Help. 4 23 days ago
Looking for a Sci-Fi book, can't remember the name of it, please help 3 26 days ago
Trying against all odds to find the name of this Science Fiction book I remember having when I was too young to understand it? 5 27 days ago
Research: Frank Herbert's DUNE 46 Mar 17, 2014
ARRAY(0xa57cd780)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Oct 5, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions