Would you go to Mars?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 1:40:23 PM PDT
"Are you Quatto"

"No. Quatto's a mutant...so don't be too upset when you see him."

"uhhhhhhh...turn...on...machine...bring...air...back to mahhhhhrs"

Posted on Mar 26, 2013 12:42:31 PM PDT
I found this site recently. It looks like it has a lot of very good information about exploring Mars. They have a "Humans to Mars" summit coming up May 6-8 at GWU in Wash, DC.

See=> http://www.exploremars.org/

I found this link there which is also pretty interesting-> http://www.exploremars.org/von-braun-answers-questions-about-mars [from a 1975 talk about landing people there in the year 1982, sigh.]

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:17:32 PM PST
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/mock-mars-trek-finds-down-to-earth-sleep-woes/article_415ab66c-8800-554b-8f13-10c16cfb171d.html

MOCK MARS TREK FINDS OUT ASTRONAUTS GO INTO "HIBERNATION FUNK"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2013 11:01:13 AM PST
if they let a 65 year old, old navy nuke, go, for sure and for certain .

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 10:39:48 AM PST
W.T. says:
Only if I could be home by suppertime.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 5, 2013 3:26:41 PM PST
nope
no reason to go there

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:54:35 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
When I watch Cowboy Bebop it just makes me wonder the possibilites of space travel. That series always gives me goosebumps, more so than any other space tv or movie.

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:06:44 AM PST
A Mars mission would be cool but they have to drop all the necessary equipment robotically, say about 4 to 6 quanset hutts and all the necessary equipment to make breathable air and to set up greenhouses. The problem is to get the peaceniks to allow us to use nuclear rockets (I know it's a risk but it's necessary). The best would be a couple of VASIMR rockets powered by a nuclear reactor with reactant tanks with cargo and habitat modules, lander and return vehicles.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 4:39:55 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
I've been to Hell - I have the tee shirt - and and swan in Jupiter. I've even been to Venus. Heck I drove through Mercury once.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 4:08:52 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Well, Obama's been to Mars. I say that trumps Nixon going to China any day! LOL

(Speaking of Trumps... he's not been in the news lately, huh? Maybe the hair finally ate him?!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 12:36:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 4, 2013 1:00:38 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
There was a Nazi base on the moon. If you read Heinlein's account of it in "Rocket Ship Galileo" you will learn that that particular nidus of evil Aryans was destroyed and we don't need to worry about them any more. However, since it is relatively easy to send payloads to Mars from the moon, there is a distinct possibility that the Nazis might have metastasized to Mars or some other more distant location in the solar system. I hope this helps, as there is not a useful Wikipedia article on the topic yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 11:49:18 AM PST
Fullme7al says:
I kid you not. I was commenting on the movie Iron Sky over on IGN. It's a movie about Nazis being on dark side of the moon and some dude went crazy on me. I said something like hopefully this movie will be better than the other dark of the moon movie(transformers 3). I was being sarcastic, and this dude just went off on me. It was pretty funny. He was like I hope you're being serious, because it's true. You know nothing about Nazis. I'm thinking he might have sold all his belongings on December 20th.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:43:13 AM PST
Dave Vicks,

Please, don't get Marilyn Martin started over here on Nazi Moon bases (or, for other things she's said, like there's a secret Mars base because you 'can breathe the Martian atmosphere for a bit') . There's plenty enough of that over in the 'Aliens' forum.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:44:47 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
Isn't there an urban legend that there is a Nazi base on the Moon?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2012 9:38:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 9:39:43 AM PST
No, because I'm quite certain that within a fairly short period of time I would have a severe psychological reaction to being cooped up in a tiny space with a few other people with no prospect of escape for a long long time.

But I can understand why some people would want to go to Mars, and would be willing to put up with being cooped up in a tiny space with a few other people with no prospect of escape for a long long time.

First of all there's the adventure. Secondly, the fame that goes with being the first. Third, the possibility of great discoveries.

The people chosen for this mission will have to be very carefully screened pyschologically to make sure they can handle the severe psychological stresses of being cooped up in a tiny space with a few other people with no chance of escape for a very very long time. Maybe they should first be required to spend 6 months at the South Pole in winter, or on the Space Station.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 7:12:19 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
I sure would go to Mars. The risks can't be helped. Besides, there really is nothing for me on Earth anymore. Might turn out to be the best vacation I ever had. Even if it was the last.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:05:58 AM PST
J. Russell says:
William R. Cousert says:
I wouldn't be interested. It's a suicide mission. Anything can and probably will go wrong and there won't be any backup help.

My Response
I keep thinking back to the original new world colonies here in America. Many did fail, but look at what came out of it eventually.
What is the price of having a new vision for all humanity. Maybe we need to regain the chance taking mentality. Now days it is just that everybody wants to be safe.
Why aren't we still living in caves? For that matter why are we not still safely swimming in oceans instead of walking on land. How many died in that transition?

If we want to spread humanity beyond just this one planet maybe we need to stop being so risk adverse.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 4:09:37 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
LOL. In her case the thread should have been phrased, "Would you go to Mars already?" ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 1:44:28 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
Oh, now you've gone and done it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 9:14:53 AM PST
Ronald Craig says:
And schools of migrating Moonsquid. :)

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 8:33:45 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
They would have to edit out the alien spacecraft.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 6:35:20 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
or hear the sails straining in the solar wind

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 6:23:02 PM PST
A film shot in space would still look fake because people would complain that they couldn't see any stars.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 6:59:17 PM PST
OG InfamousR says:
After reading that book, I think I'll take a pass.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 6:56:20 PM PST
epb says:
Counter-proposal: outer-space would be great for movie shoots and tv series. The industry has already shown a willingness to spend gobs of money with no profit, so instead of giving ILM millions to make things LOOK like they're in zero-G, spend the same money taking a crew up and shooting the real thing.

A private company could build a space station studio facility, rent sound stages for movies, set a reality show there (Survivor: Space, Law and Order: LaGrange Point 7, etc). Next, use some of the profits to build a space elevator and gut the cost of moving materials and people to orbit (or simply finance the project with a reality show abut building the elevator itself). At that point, it would be financially possible to expand the station to include a theme-park, hotels, etc and the money really starts rolling in. With one (likely more) bases to work from in orbit, a lunar colony is probable for expansion, and once that's established. You're basically transplanting the movie and tourist industries to space. What Carnival and other cruise lines spend on a new ship means the cost of a cruise shuttle would barely make them blink, especially once we get a shipyard up there.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Dec 9, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions