Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

HELP! Lost science fiction story

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 10:08:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 12:44:37 PM PDT
Mel M says:
I'm trying to find a lost science fiction story I read long ago. The plot was that prospective political leaders were hooked up to a miniature world built on this huge tabletop and filled with miniature people. The prospect had to establish himself as the successful new deity in this miniature world through god-like powers. The wrinkle was that the death of a miniature people would send a painful surge back to the test subject and too many little people deaths could be fatal.
Does anyone recognize this shortstory?

Posted on Jul 18, 2012 5:59:33 PM PDT
David J. Nix says:
Yes! Sadly I don't remember the title, but I read it first at least 25 years ago. The twist was that you thought the leaders were human, when all along the world they were building was ours!

Posted on Jul 19, 2012 7:17:18 PM PDT
I don't think I read that one, but it reminds me of two TV episodes that I saw long ago:

Twilight Zone-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_People [Astronauts land on a planet and one finds little people and lords over them]
The Outer Limits-> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_359_(The_Outer_Limits) [Scientist set up a miniature world and seed it with life]

Maybe it was based on one of those?

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:11:46 PM PST
Mel M says:
Thanks for the responses. I think I'm on a doomed quest for now. I can even remember the final scene where, as the faithful little-people follower is dying, he points to the evil king of the little people and the king explodes like a squashed grape (author's description, not mine), which was the only little-people death in the short story. Oh well, someday they'll have digitized synopses of every SF story ever written and I'll be able to find it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 27, 2012 8:37:32 AM PST
Not exactly as you describe, but could it be Andrew Greeley's God Game

"In The God Game, now available in a brand-new trade paperback edition, Father Greeley takes a new and fascinating twist on an old cliche: What if -- by using a sophisticated computer game with a healthy dose of heavenly intervention -- you really could play God? What if you actually had the power to control other people's lives?

This is the dilemma that faces our hero, who quickly finds that being given the kingdom, the power, and the glory is dangerous -- but addictive. The troubles of the people he sees flashing on his computer screen are all too real -- and his troubles are just beginning. . ."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 8:08:22 PM PST
Mel M says:
Thank you for pointing me to a very interesting potential read. But, unfortunately, that's not the missing story. :-/ Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 6:05:50 PM PST
Tom Rogers says:
Picked up a copy to check out, I didn't realize he was an SF/Fantasy writer, he's got another book that caught my eye too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:53:08 AM PST
Mel M says:
On my next trip to Powell's Books in Portland, OR (what an incredible used book resource) I'll be looking for his works.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:18:46 PM PST
Mel> Why wait? If you buy over $50 worth of used books, they'll ship it for free! I've done that about 7-8 times :) LOVE IT.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 7:45:22 PM PST
Mel M says:
Thanks for the suggestion about having books mailed to me. I didn't know Powell's Books did that. But, I live just outside Portland, OR; so it's just a matter of me getting up off my lazy b__t and driving downtown to Powell's Books. I have a stack of books to sell to them and a list of books to look for. I'll get to it soon.
Mel
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions