Customer Discussions > Science Fiction forum

New, Upcoming Science Fiction Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 276-300 of 908 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2012 12:12:38 PM PST
J. Russell says:
Here's a one sheet for Oblivion and a plot synopsis. I understand people don't really like Tom Cruise anymore, but I'm up for seeing this movie, it sounds kind of interesting.

My Response
Yea Tom Cruise is a flake but I am not going to let that stop me from seeing a movie I like.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:28:22 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
I'm surprised no one has put up the Pacific Rim trailer.

Here it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Vv2z-QiAI

While the monsters look cool, well at least the little we see of them, the robots look okay. One thing that I can't stop laughing at is the synchronized walking in the mechs. It looks so cheesy. The pilot suits are cool, and at first I thought the girl was Mary Elizabeth Winstead. Apparently one pilot controls half the body.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 4:10:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:11:37 PM PST
http://screenrant.com/michael-bay-direct-transformers-4-reboot-storyline-benk-154761/

TRANSFORMERS 4 IS A 'GO'
Michael Bay will direct, of course, and is calling this one a "reboot". Which I guess will stay true to the warrior-vehicles, but dump the dangling ends of the first three movies, since the third movie ended with death-and-disaster.

Mark Wahlberg (who just starred in Michael Bay's passion-project, "Pain & Gain") has signed on, according to other movie websites. The release date is 2014.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:31:41 PM PST
Fullme7al says:
Here's some more info on casting.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/12/11/last-airbender-star-joins-transformers-4

The Last Airbender's Nicola Peltz has reportedly been cast in director Michael Bay's Transformers 4.

Twitch claims Peltz, soon to be seen in the TV series Bates Motel, will play the daughter of Mark Wahlberg's protagonist.

The site also says Brenton Thwaites (Maleficent) "will play Peltz's biker boyfriend."

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 4:21:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:08:05 AM PST
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/vin-diesels-riddick-gets-release-404674

UNIVERSAL SETS RELEASE DATE FOR VIN DIESEL'S "RIDDICK 3"
Movie will open on September 6, 2013 - and also get an IMAX release.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 4:32:34 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
Hopefully it will have a more inspiring name than "Riddick 3!"

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:06:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 10:04:37 AM PST
Old Rocker -

Vin Diesel's own website is just calling it "the next Riddick." Perhaps it's just an extension of the second one called "Chronicles of Riddick."

(Correction per Helsdon's comments.) At the end of the second one, Riddick was made the King or Lord Marshall of the Necromongers, and was slumped on his new throne after Jack died.

The talented Mr. Diesel also has "Fast and Furious 6" in the can, to be released May 24, 2013.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:31:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2012 9:49:36 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"And this new one seems to pick up where the last one left off - Crematoria."

No... And you can't have watched the last one through to the end.

Riddick is dumped by the Necromongers (to save on budget) and then hunted by CGI creatures and bounty hunters on another desert planet (which shouldn't have an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere, but science has never been a serious factor in this fantasy series).

Crematoria was possibly the silliest planet to appear in any movie pretending to reside in the science fiction genre. The variation in temperature between night and day (about -25 K to 900 K) in a matter of hours, and the breathable atmosphere (oxygen and nitrogen are going to provide a heat-retentive atmosphere) all point to a fantasy movie, not a science fiction movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:01:28 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
I hope they don't have random and out-of-place gear shifting sounds in the next F&F.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:02:19 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
suspension of disbelief?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:12:50 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"suspension of disbelief?"

...Only takes you so far, depending on genre.

If something is claiming to be science fiction, but the SFX don't overload (or perhaps suffer a critical fail in overloading) your WTF filter so that you start thinking whilst watching 'this planet doesn't work', the plot starts to collapse. Indeed, Chronicles of Riddick is loaded with plot holes, but most of them will be ignored or forgiven by the viewer. Crematoria has to go with silliest planet. If they'd toned down the SFX of the 'thermal front' and not quoted impossible temperature gradients in the script, it might have 'worked'.

It's interesting that Avatar included a great deal of world building (atmosphere, atmospheric pressure) to make the lifeforms 'work' but suffers a lesser SoD fail when you realise the Na'vi ought to be hexapods like all the other lifeforms - and they have admitted to making them more 'human' than the original designs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:14:18 PM PST
Ronald Craig says:
Well, yeah... but if you *know* that something is stupidly wrong, the mass of your disbelief increases exponentially with time and eventually no force in the universe can keep it suspended. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 2:22:35 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
...And in 'Chronicles' they rammed the disbelief down your throat with the SFX and script...unless, of course you are blissfully unaware of the physics. They didn't even make the impossibility a plot point, unlike, say, Larry Niven admitting the Ringworld is unstable (and getting an entire new plot out of why) or that scrith is apparently impossibly strong.

Chronicles is basically an action flick, whilst attempting to be more, but making the mistake of trying to be 'real' when it's soft science fantasy.

Star Wars doesn't fail in the same way because it plays its mythic card in the opening text, so spaceships flying like aircraft and other aspects don't hit the SoD reset switch.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 7:11:09 PM PST
I'd like to see a space battle that obeys physics. I think it could be very exciting, very dramatic. Very cool, IOW. The firing of main engines and thrusters would be audible inside one's own ship, and explosions might go "HISS" instead of "BOOM," as vapor from the ship you just destroyed impacts the canopy of your own ship.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 8:01:20 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
It's amusing that the original Star Trek tv series portrayed space battles more realistically, because of the necessity to keep costs down. So you don't see ships fighting like ships-of-the-line in close proximity, and the enemy is generally seen only by sensors, at a distance. About the only exception was the episode where the Romulans are testing out a stealth ship with a short range weapon.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 8:15:16 AM PST
MH,

I think I saw something once that said that Star Trek was designed to be more like naval battles. Of course, the reboot totally blows that idea away.

I always really liked that episode with the Romulans (their leader also played Spock's father in the series). But I always wondered if they basically ripped off the ideas in the 1957 movie, "The Enemy Below".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 9:10:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 9:11:48 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
Bob,

Space warfare will be more like a mixture of submarine and long distance air warfare - ships attempting to be 'silent' by minimising heat output and utilising as few and as short as possible engine burns, whilst deploying decoys and drones in an attempt to hide position. Using passive sensors to minimise giving away own position whilst watching for enemy active sensors, and using heat sinks to minimise your own thermal footprint - any manned vessel is going to be lit up simply by the waste heat. Going along side and blasting each other simply won't work unless you call up fantastical technologies, or you want to measure your vessel's survival time in microseconds.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 10:30:15 AM PST
MH,

"Going along side and blasting each other simply won't work ..."
Oh but you have to admit that type of scene is very cool in "Return of the Jedi".
And I always liked Admiral Ackbar's "It's a TRAP!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 10:38:21 AM PST
M. Helsdon says:
"Oh but you have to admit that type of scene is very cool in "Return of the Jedi".
And I always liked Admiral Ackbar's "It's a TRAP!!" "

It's cool, but not realistic, and of course Star Wars isn't science fiction but science fantasy, as the opening crawl "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." makes clear...

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:26:58 AM PST
J. Russell says:
I'll bet most have seen the trailer for Ironman 3
but this is a good treatment of it

LITERAL Iron Man 3 Trailer
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFD_tv_FfBw

Posted on Dec 25, 2012 10:27:38 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 25, 2012 2:59:31 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:24:01 PM PST
Old Rocker says:
stop spamming. You've already simply assured that no one will buy your book.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2012 1:40:04 PM PST
M. Helsdon says:
The poor grammar and spelling, on top of the spamming, should guarantee that...

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 7:11:18 AM PST
W.T. says:
There is a way to justify some of the sound in sci-fi space battles. The sound of gun/missile fire is explainable by by reverberations inside the chassis of the firing ship, which are transferred along the superstructure back to the cockpit, where the pilot can audibly perceive it. Same for impacts from enemy fire on the body of the ship.

The explosions are more problematic....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:27:53 AM PST
epb says:
Love the literal trailers by Tobuscus. :)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Science Fiction forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  908
Initial post:  Aug 23, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions